PDA

View Full Version : Advice on obtaining accompanying camera to DVX

mystico
02-23-2006, 08:59 AM
I am in the process of starting up a wedding and event video business. I usually rent but hope to purchase a DVX100B within the year. My question is, what would be a good 2nd camera to have in addition to the DVX. I do not have the budget to get a second DVX, so I would like another 3CCD camera for less than $800.

I've seen some 3CCD cams at B&H Photo & Video so I know they exist. But what is recommended? Again, this 2nd cam would not be used for the primary footage, but for cutaways and just that added-angle aspect.

Thanks ...

mystico
02-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Wow, 17 people have looked at this and no one has any advice at all?

vidled
02-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Second hand GL1 Canon.
Matches up "reasonably" well.

Edit: add a BLACk pro mist filter, forgot to mention that before. It's a good cam, not a DVX but good.

mystico
02-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Edit: add a BLACk pro mist filter, forgot to mention that before. It's a good cam, not a DVX but good.[/quote]

Are you suggesting that a GL1 would need the black mist pro filter? IF so, what does that do? Thanks for the suggestion though. You know, I'd forgotten that before I heard of the DVX, my plan was to get a second-hand GL1, as I thought it would likely be the only high-level cam I might be able to afford. After learning of the DVX, I figured I'd just bite the bullet until I could get a DVX.

vidled
02-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Yes, the Black Pro Mist filter is for the GL1 to make the video look more "filmic". It's not necessary though.

mystico
02-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Second hand GL1 Canon.
Matches up "reasonably" well.

Edit: add a BLACk pro mist filter, forgot to mention that before. It's a good cam, not a DVX but good.

OK, I've done some research, and it appears lots of people prefer the Sony DCR-TRV900 over the Canon GL series. The TRV900 followers even prefer the 900 over both its successors--TRV950 and HC1000. Any thoughts on this?

mystico
03-09-2006, 10:19 AM
After even more research--basically talking to people at my local production/equipment shop--it seems the advice is to always use cams from the same manufacturer. They said that different manufacturers use different processes for colour-handling, which sometimes results in noticeable differences in the footage. So my decision now is to get a DVC60 and a DVX100B. Anyone other advice or others who have this combo. General comments/suggestions??

runningwaterproductions
05-07-2006, 01:51 PM
i am headin in the same business. pleasure. but really i find that people think its cool to have that movie look for anything they do. I think that we really don't realize the full potential of video. cause ever since i used the dvx, i learned to appreciate video. at weddings and events, it real. video display reality through the lenses. but really i guess i have talked to some clients and when they saw my work they were like, u can make movies? and i did give them the option to have the 24 frame look for their weddings to be fantasy like. but theres something about 24p that we don't really look into sometimes.

dvxwheelr
05-07-2006, 02:04 PM
I have a PV-GS250 (around $700). I use it when I don't want to endanger my DVX100a. I also use Dv FilmMaker to to get 24fps from the GS250. But it is not always easy to match the footage of these two cameras in post.

AZsspvideo
05-23-2006, 08:12 PM
From what I have heard, your choice of the 60 will work very nicely with the 100B. Several months ago there was a comparison on second cameras and the 60 was rated fairly high. Some also like the fact that it can sit on your shoulder.

One minor thought, don't forget to white balance each camera. I found that every time I did I had less problems in editing.

Good Luck

sigamy
06-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Check out the Panasonic GS400. The newer GS500 is actually a down-grade so you'll want to find a used GS400 from a seller that you trust. The GS400 has three 1/4.7" CCDs and high quality 16:9. Tons of manual control and a multi-function ring. It is basically an entry-level prosumer in consumer clothes. It compares very well to the GL1 and GL2. I think the GS400 has same chips as the Sony PDX10.

Also look at Panny's DVC30. Nice camera, has three 1/4" CCDs but no high quality 16:9.

kiyong
08-12-2006, 01:10 PM
go to camcorderinfo.com and look for the review of the gs400. it seems like a great little camcorder with lots of manual controls and a small form factor. unfortunately, i've had no luck in finding one though, so if you happen to find a place that sells them, please share!