PDA

View Full Version : location scout website

dougspice
02-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Well, there's no producing/production design category here, so this is where I've put this.

I'm looking for the California location scout website. I used it a lot back in my student production design days, and now absolutely cannot find or remember it. It was a fairly comprehensive site for location scouting, organized by categories, regions, and having photos of most locations. It was really great. Where the hell is it?? Five donuts to whoever finds it first.

dougspice
02-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Nevermind, I finally found it, although now you have to register and possibly show credentials. Glad I have those now!

http://www.cinemascout.org/

Awesome resource.

R Gale
02-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Thanks, I was looking for the site too!
Extremely useful.:)

j
02-22-2006, 08:05 AM
Is that site dead?

I've tried using the search function, and I keep getting sent back to the main search page. I've also tried emailing and even calling the webmaster and have recieved no reply! Typical state government run...

Have you seen Scott Trimble's site? He is a lcoation scout in SF, but does all over. He seems to be a good resource.

http://www.ststlocations.com/

-j

dougspice
02-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Is that site dead?

I've tried using the search function, and I keep getting sent back to the main search page. I've also tried emailing and even calling the webmaster and have recieved no reply! Typical state government run...

It's not dead, it's just a little bit poorly designed from a UI standpoint. It opens up results to all searches in a new window, and if you have a popup blocker (as almost all modern browsers do), you may never see what it's trying to open. You have to tell your browser to allow popups. Confusing, I know.

I will check out the Trimble resource as well, thanks.

dougspice
02-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Oh, also, when you finally see results to your searches, clicking on the pictures will take you to an enlargement of THAT PICTURE, not the page for the location itself. You have to click on the NAME for that. Silly mistakes, really.

kiyong
05-25-2006, 05:57 PM
has anyone ever gotten a location from cinemascout? how much do locations charge? i just want to shoot a short and not have to pay something ridiculous like 5k/day. has anyone used a location scout before? i'm thinking of hiring someone because it's so time consuming.

CineMischief
05-25-2006, 08:06 PM
Yes and...it depends. Each location will be different depending on where and what it is and what you will be using it for. Some places you'll need someone on site to monitor and others you don't. Also, factor in if you need streets closed, state-owned property, etc. Depending on your situation and location, I would advise you to actually go to the office. Everyone is purty friendly/helpful there and it's easier to ask questions. Good luck!

dougspice
05-25-2006, 10:09 PM
I would advise you to actually go to the office. Everyone is purty friendly/helpful there

Wow, what office have you been going to? When I had to deal with them at EIDC, they were always incredibly slow, inefficient, had incomplete information, and were sometimes friendly but as often rude.

Anyway, there's no "getting" locations through Cinemascout... it's just a database of information. If you want the location, you still have to make the phone call or however you contact them. In that sense, yes, I have gotten locations through cinemascout.

CineMischief
05-26-2006, 12:30 AM
Cali Film Commission 7080 Hollywood Blvd, Suite 900 :) . Dunno, brother, they've always been pretty helpful for us. I'm sure others have had different experiences though. A lot of easily accessible info and pamphlets, etc.

And, well, yeah...it is a database, but assumed if you know what Cinema Scout is you'd know t'was a database already. Doug's right though: Still gotta do the leg work, but you get pics of the location, the contact name and number, etc. I think you can even get a breakdown of previous films' budgets that have used the locations so you can get an idea what they might charge. I.e. if a film with a budget of $8m shot there, you might wanna keep looking. But you might get lucky.

Besties.