PDA

View Full Version : first time...hello and help

cameragirl
02-20-2006, 11:05 PM
i am a photographer wanting to get into documentary filmaking.i used to have a video camera back in the day and took everywhere i went.i could not make documentaries with the dag gone thing, but later got into still photography. i shoot with a cannon rebel (film) and a nikon d70s. please point me in the right direction for my wannabe blossoming filmaking career. is there a book i can get? a camera i should buy? and what type of camera do people use that gives the documetary that "movie" look. is that the camera or the software? i have so many questions.:eek: thank you for your responses.

cameragirl........

J.R. Hudson
02-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Look lady

Get a DVX100 and conquer the world.

versioncity1
02-21-2006, 06:47 AM
theres loads of books you can get, how much use they are is a different matter. I think the best way of learning is by watching documentaries, making your own notes, writing down ideas and start by making simple 5, 10 minute length pieces. There is no way of learning apart from actually doing it and you will learn quicker and in more depth than any book or tutor can teach you

capitalP
02-21-2006, 08:47 AM
Buy a DVX if you have the money then use this site to learn everything, and you'll be on your way to recieving a shiny new Oscar... don't have the money save.

cameragirl
02-21-2006, 09:27 AM
thank you guys so much. i really like the advice of just doing it. this is actually how i started photography...by just doing it. i went to a couple of websites on documentary filmmakers, and after the reading all of their bio's, and their honorary degrees from nyu film school, boston university, blah, blah, blah....i got a little intimidated. i 'm 32 years old....def. don't have time to go get a degree when the passion is burning!!! im pretty computer savvy....can the dvx100 also shoot in black and white or is this something that happens in the editing phase?

oneinfiniteloop
02-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Better to do your B&W in post, more control over the image and contrast and etc...

cameragirl
02-21-2006, 06:30 PM
how much does this dvx100 cost? and are there any suggestions on where i can purchase? is ebay an option?

Joe Kras
02-21-2006, 07:00 PM
If getting it new, then one very reputable place to get it from is EVS:

http://tinyurl.com/ohg7x

Ask for Rush. He contributes to these boards on a regular basis.

The latest iteration of this cam is the DVX100b. The previous models are the DVX100 and the DVX100a. Both can be found on e-bay, as well as on various message boards like this one. Be sure to check how many hours are on the heads. Depending on how the camera is cared for, you should be able to count on anywhere from 800-1200 hours on the heads. Personally, I wouldn't buy a used cam with more than 250 hours on it. But that's me.

Also remember to budget bucks for audio acquisition. Peruse the audio section on this board for all of the reasons why, and recommendations for equipment.

32??? You're just a kid.

cameragirl
02-21-2006, 10:51 PM
just a kid? i feel like i don't have much time left to do all i am supposed to be doing. i feel like i'm way behind schedule here.LOL...thanx 4 the feedback. i just purchased a nikon d70s, so i don't think i have the money right now for the dvx100, but i'll start saving......i have an old video camera at home and i will just use that for now to practice different angles, and keeping the camera super steady, zooming in at the right time, and things like that.if you have a dvx100 that you would like to donate to this kid, please feel free.i live in baltimore, md.

versioncity1
02-22-2006, 05:04 AM
don't worry about what camera your shooting on if you don't have the money. Just beg borrow or steal something and start shooting, if the story/idea/people are interesting thats all that matters for now. Anyone worth their salt will be able to see if you have potential as a film maker. get on with it now, make your mistakes while your saving up for kit.... If you have a good idea and are organised you'll probably find someone to shoot it for you. Are you interested in being a film maker or a camera person?

Joe Kras
02-22-2006, 01:59 PM
All rules are meant to be broken at one point or another, but generally speaking, nothing screams amateur as much as zooming during a scene. If a scene needs to go to close up, zoom in (or move in) and cut out the movement in the edit.