PDA

View Full Version : Looking for horror location for slasher movie

TajJackson
02-17-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm looking for horror location that I can shoot a quick scene in true indie style(no permits). Do any of guys know of any locations that I should use or that you have used in the past. I live in the Los Angeles area and the scene calls for a teenage girl to be stalked in the woods by a killer. I know, very original. :o But hey, everybody starts somewhere.
Thanks in advance
-taj

Ed Kishel
02-18-2006, 12:54 AM
L.A. and woods??

Hmmm, sound like a day trip to Big Bear?

marlenedegrood
02-18-2006, 04:49 AM
You live in L.A. and don't know where to go to find a scene with woods? You're surrounded by mountains all within a 2 hour drive or less.

Marlene

rsbush
02-18-2006, 07:14 AM
Some part of Griffith Park perhaps? It's got some pretty isolated wooded areas.

TajJackson
02-18-2006, 12:59 PM
You live in L.A. and don't know where to go to find a scene with woods? You're surrounded by mountains all within a 2 hour drive or less.

Marlene
Very True. But I was more curious if there were any cool places that maybe you have shot before that I should definitely check out. Or if there were places I should stay away from. I'm still new to this :)

By the way... Thanks everyone for all your comments. I will check into Big Bear and Griffith Park.

marlenedegrood
02-19-2006, 07:53 AM
I don't think you'd need to go as far as Big Bear. You could take the Waterman Canyon route going up towards Crestline from San Bernardino, you might find some good spots there. It's been a while since I've been there (I used to live in Crestline) but I used to so some shooting in Waterman Canyon. Griffith Park could be just a little dangerous....be sure and have a few people with you.

Marlene

Blaine
02-19-2006, 08:17 AM
Azusa Canyon might be worth a look, too. Big Bear is a long way to go.

Sad Max
02-19-2006, 11:09 AM
I've been told that if you "don't put down a tripod" you can shoot more-or-less any public place you want, so long as you're not disruptive (and so long as your setup is obviously not studio-feature-type equipment and crew).

Go wherever you want, shoot hand-held, or off a shoulder-pod, or a stabilizer, maybe.

Check out the Stough Canyon Nature Center; it's in the hills just above the Burbank (where the IKEA and Virgin stores are). You've got miles of trails, scrub brush, woods, hills, with some real beautiful views towards downtown LA and La Crescenta. Foot traffic through there is practically non-existent, and the folks who hike and climb there are unlikely to care if you're shooting something, or not.

Also check out Mount Pinos, about an hour's drive north of LA up the grapevine. Miles and miles and square miles of forest and meadows and hills and stuff. Likewise thinly populated, and no one is likely to care if you shoot there.

And, there's miles and miles of forest and canyons and trails all along the Angeles Crest Highway, from down around the 2, all the way up to Newcomb's Ranch. Although you need a user-pass to park in some of the places there (near trailheads, anyway), the pass is dirt cheap and easy to get.