PDA

View Full Version : For all you wireless tech nerds out there - HELP!

c.g._eads
02-17-2006, 11:59 AM
I am sick and tired of my wireless. I have a sony laptop with built in wireless, and the freaking connection skates in and out randomly an average of every 20 minutes or so. Sometimes it will go on and off every 3 minutes, making IM conversations impossible. Other times, if I'm lucky, it might last an hour. It always comes right back on. But still, it's so ANNOYING.

Help!

TC
02-17-2006, 12:03 PM
How far away are you from the router? How strong is your signal?

krestofre
02-17-2006, 12:06 PM
And after you answer TC's questions, you might try channging the channel that your router and you PC are using. Different channels = different strength depending on the layout of your system and your home.

c.g._eads
02-17-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm very close, say 3 feet. The connection is always listed as "Excellent". I should add that this used to work just fine. Drops would happen every couple days or so. Now it's every 20 min.

Occasionally, after a few days, the wireless connection just stops working, even though it says the connection is "excellent". And the only way to get it to work again is to unplug and replug the router. Extra information in case it helps. But I'm more concerned with the first problem.

TC
02-17-2006, 12:11 PM
I would suggest the same thing as krestofre. If it used to be fine, then my guess is that someone else in your area started occupying the same channel that you are.

c.g._eads
02-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Okay, how does one change a channel then? Is this through software or hardware?

TC
02-17-2006, 12:20 PM
It's through the software. For my router (D-Link) I need to type the IP address into the address bar of my internet browser. It should be in your manual, or on the campany's website.

c.g._eads
02-17-2006, 12:43 PM
any suggestion on what channel to change it to?

TC
02-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Nope, just pick one.

Anhar Miah
02-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Dude, try fixing your winsock, could be buggy,

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Sometimes, I too had buggy connection on a LAN at my study address, and the cables was always fine, but the conncetion would drop (BUT my P2P would always work, very strange) then I found out that the LSP winsock was screwed up..

wait I just had a dejavuu writing this!

anyway hope that helps

Anhar

Isaac_Brody
02-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Wow. I was having connection dropouts and that winsock software patched it right up. Thanks Anhar. Finally... :)