PDA

View Full Version : Public Domain

Nik Nerburn
02-16-2006, 07:03 PM
What exactly are the conditions in which you would need a filming permit? I've never had a problem with it before, doing a lot of journalistic stuff. But when would you actually have to obtain one? I know it has something to do with public domain, and a myraid of other factors, but any help would be appreciated.:)

ChrisLyon
02-16-2006, 10:20 PM
It depends on the location. Federal buildings are off limits, even to shoot the exterior legally. You just have to ask. Anything outside is public domain except federal property. You can get nabbed for possible scouting if they are strict enough... which they have been in Shreveport, LA.

Just ask thats the best way to find out otherwise. Filming children who are not your own under 18 is illegal.... I cant think of anything else. Filming inside a business for jounalism is restricted to declarated news crews like your local stations because it is for public release. But if you intend, or could, make money from footage shot on private or leased property, you are supposed to have a signed release form.

There are a load of pre-made forms in the appendicies of the book "Feature Filmmaking at Used Car Prices." I picked it up just for that. Very useful.

windedsailor
03-09-2006, 11:10 PM
in LA i'mm pretty sure as long as your crew is less than 6 people and you don't have a lot of junk you can film in public