PDA

View Full Version : Fake gun blasts

PheelGoodInc
02-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Hi. I was wondering where I can find the a good fake gun blast for an upcoming short film I'm making. I heard they were called something like a "squig" but I'm not to sure how credible that is. I've tried searching on google but I get to much clutter associated with hollywood merchandise. I am looking for the actual fake blast when the gun shot hits a person. Help is appreciated. Thanks.

Blaine
02-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Hi. I was wondering where I can find the a good fake gun blast for an upcoming short film I'm making. I heard they were called something like a "squig" but I'm not to sure how credible that is
Do you mean "squib"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squib_(explosive)

SilverWolf
02-12-2006, 11:45 PM
The best safe and cheap way to do squib hit is generally with some type of compressed air. Doing squib hit for real is dangerous mainly because they are actually setting off small explosions on the person being hit. They have a metal plate behind the explosion to protect them but it's dangerous because thing can go in your face and ect. Check out the Behind the Scenes on the Bad Boys II dvd. It also requires a licensed pyrotechnician to do the real ones and they hurt. if you search on google for Squib you will find some good websites that tell you how with the compressed air solution

indosmoke
02-13-2006, 12:00 AM
You have the compressed air, which you can rig up with a garden hose, pump like an insecticide sprayer i think, and fake blood which will take some work to get it right. Its hard because the longer the hose, the less pressure, plus the hose is really thick and hard to hide and needs to be over a persons shoulder otherwise it won't work proper. We used black cat fire crackers over a thick piece of steel which was fastened to the actors body. you tape a condom packed 1/4 full of fake blood, light it and Kaboom. But you need to cut the clothing prior so the blood actually comes out through the shirt. T-shirts suck, they tend to absorb the impact and end up moving with the air in the explosion. Try to find some actual squibs but make sure you know what u are doing beforehand because you can easily put someones eye out with these if they are placed wrong.

At the end of the day, it comes down to planning, not the method. Editing will make or break it. make sure it's lit properly or the blood exploding from the body won't be visible. So test it, plan it, test it again and then go. Its not easy and at the end of the day unless it's crucial to the story, what is the point. You can just as easily make a more disturbing impact on a view by not actually showing the person being shot and just using great sound effects but that comes down to story telling. eg. If you were to have a baby lying in a stroller, cut to a person with gun shooting the baby, the effect will be harsh either way, its the story and the method used that will affect your viewer the most.

T