PDA

View Full Version : Call-backs/Second Audition Questions

908media
02-10-2006, 08:44 AM
I recently posted a basic question about casting and got great feedback.

See post:Basic Casting Question (http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/showthread.php?t=44356)

Iíve narrowed down the pool of actors and actresses for the parts.

Hereís two questions regarding call-backs:

Do you provide them with selected scenes only or the entire script (with designated scenes) to prepare for the call-backs?

Do you have them audition with another possible lead (match people together, see how they react, etc.)?

While thereís no exact method for casting, I would appreciate any incite or experiences.

skinnyboy
02-12-2006, 06:12 AM
I usually just go with a couple scenes - if someone wows me with one, they get to read the second also.
If you have the time, it's a good idea to match people up and try out different combinations. Some people just click when they're together, and some don't at all. It's better to find this out during an audition than on the set.

Loki
02-12-2006, 07:34 PM
This is a good question as I just went through the callback process for the first time only weeks ago.

I had auditioned for my previous film but we didn't end up needing callbacks (lucky us).

What I did this time around since chemistry between the leads was crucial, I watched the audition tapes with my producer (my casting assistant also) and we paired up people that looked good together.

We called those people back and had them read together. I don't know how standard my process was, but I did my own thing, I just did what I wanted to to get the results I needed.

In the callback, I had them do the same scene as the first audition, and several others.

My way of doing auditions/callbacks is, I get the actor/actress to read through the sides, without saying anything to them, or giving them any background. I always make them read it a second time, just so I can see if they take direction well, and if they are attentive.

The same goes for my callbacks, I have the two actors read together, then I drop some direction in their for them and see how they both use it.

One thing I do not like from actors in an audition is them asking me background on the character.. It is something I think as an actor, they should be formulating on their own, for the audition that is. This is part of their job as actors; if I have my own specific background for a character, that is something I will work out with them in the script read or the rehearsals.

I am ranting now.. so i will wrap this up. Do what you feel you need to for the film. Pair people up and have em read.. or cast one part and have that guy/girl read with many people.

Just make sure you know what you are looking for; and take into account their personality (especially if it is a low budget unpaid film..attitude goes a long way at this level)

david_kuznicki
02-13-2006, 06:11 AM
I recently posted a basic question about casting and got great feedback.

See post:Basic Casting Question (http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/showthread.php?t=44356)

Iíve narrowed down the pool of actors and actresses for the parts.

Hereís two questions regarding call-backs:

Do you provide them with selected scenes only or the entire script (with designated scenes) to prepare for the call-backs?

Do you have them audition with another possible lead (match people together, see how they react, etc.)?

While thereís no exact method for casting, I would appreciate any incite or experiences.

I ALWAYS send the sides ahead of time for call backs, along with a very vague description of the character. Then, the actors can 'find' their character & either give me exactly what I'm looking for... or give me something FAR better than I envisioned. That's the tough part-- letting go of expectations and trusting actors.

And I do have them audition together. I know people that are great solo... but don't know how to 'listen' to other actors.

Hope that helps.

David Kuznicki
Production Manager, WGTE-TV30