PDA

View Full Version : documentary on a start up

fushikato
02-06-2006, 02:18 AM
ahoi
friends of mine just launched their business producing puppets in combination with short animations about them on the internet.
as an absolute novice tons of questions are going through my head on how to capture this with my dvx i bought used recently.
do you think its possible to do it on my own....picture and sound.
i do have a separate mic (panasonic ag-mc 100) hooked up to it....but will it do the job?
most likely it will be for tv purpose ...so 25p or 60i?
if everything works out ill be on my way to barcelona on friday reading barrys book night and day.
lately it has become a status of a bible to me but still leaves me sleepless with so much more questions witch i will post from time to time.
cheers for any help and

horrido

fushikato

galt
02-06-2006, 09:08 AM
This can absolutely be a one-person project. WHether or not you have the knowledge is a different issue. BArry's book is good, but you need way more than that to be competent. You need to learn about audio (as challenging as video, maybe more so). You need to learn how to think like a cinematographer. You need to learn how to think like an editor. And you need to figure out what the story is to be told.

Sorry I don't have time for a 50 page post....

fushikato
02-07-2006, 05:51 AM
it is possible...gracias!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

learning by doing, sharing thoughts and knowledge will hopefully get me through this in one piece.
but what about the 25p or 60i and mic thing?
i just dont have the money to go for wireless or any other fancy equipment.

horrido

fushikato

vidled
02-07-2006, 06:14 AM
Just a little info:
if you have a PAL version of the DVX, you can choose 25p or 50i (not 60i).

The 25p will look less like "video" than the 50i. It is up to you which one you prefer. Do a little test shooting some stuff indoors and then outdoors on the DVX's presets (assuming they haven't been changed drastically; you might want to RESET them, if you haven't already done so) and play them back on your TV: then choose the one you like best. Also, during this test use the on-board mics, and then the AG-MC 100 and see which sounds better.

Good luck with your production!

dustino
02-07-2006, 02:33 PM
If I'm reading this correctly, your sound should be alot simpler than at other times. Are you literally shooting puppet shows? If so, you don't have to worry about the mic getting in the frame and should be able to place it as close to the talent as needed (uh, the people - not the puppets) or even record it entirely seperate from the video. That alone cuts down on a couple of headaches.

fushikato
02-08-2006, 03:42 AM
thanks for your good wishes

and no, im not shooting the puppets but the creators and their battle introducing, selling and coming up with flash animations about them on the internet and probably selling the copyright to tv companies.
ill try to spend as much time as possible with this bunch of germans and spaniards and leave my camera with them so they can use it as a "video diary".
they have got mixed emotions.
a blend of the fear of being ripped off in negotiations and an almost collective contamination of a solid gold rush fever!
41C

horrido

fushikato

AshG
02-19-2006, 11:10 PM
My doc was a one man project, camera mic and all and it has been very well received. Touring colleges, got nice articles in Entertainment Weekly, NY Times, Rollingstone, etc. etc. Sometimes you get better stuff without a crew. You can watch the first 8 minutes on iFilm here:

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2681277

31,000 views and a 5 star rating!!!

ash =o)

Chris K
02-19-2006, 11:21 PM
I think it would be cool to read about someone starting up their first documentary, got a blog or something Fushikato?

edit-

AshG I never imagined I could be interested in Hanson, but now I am haha. Nice film.