PDA

View Full Version : What camera

IVIajoI2a
01-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Hey this is my first post on these forums although i have been visting the pages for several weeks now. I am a 16yr old media student who plans to get into filmaking mainly directing. I have experience with a few short videos that i have made for projects at college and have read various articles and information from the internet and these message boards which have given me a very basic understanding of filmmaking. I have also built up a wishlist of books to order from amzon when i have some money, but the main question i ask is whether or not i should save up and get a prosumer mini-dv camera such as the Panasonic DVX100 or the Canon XL2 or buy a not so good consumer camera? The way i see it is that i plan to get a good camera evntually but is it worth getting a cheaper not so good camera before i shell out like£2500 on a decent one. I have no experience with higher end cameras only various panasonic cameras. Any advice and feedback is greatly welcomed .

Jeremy Ordan
01-30-2006, 02:29 PM
Rent, don't buy. How often are you planning on shooting and if you're interested in directing then meet some people who own equipement.

That simple, save your cash.

Cheesesailor77
01-30-2006, 04:51 PM
most schools have their own equipment as well. If you're just getting started, I can say without a doubt, the best thing to do is check out your community college or local public access station. If you enroll in a class u can check out whatever equipment you want, whether for a school project or not.

They very well may have a dvx100 or xl1/2 or something similar (mine do), but even if they have crappy consumer cams, at least u can use those and dont have to blow $400-900.

if your serious, thats where you start.

hemophilia
02-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Yes you should save up and get the best camera you can reasonably afford if you're serious about it. And if that camera is a 1989 VHS camera off e-bay, so be it. The important thing is to be shooting and making stuff and creating.

Of course-- still look into rental options/school equipment. But the point is don't 'put-off' buying a camera cause at some point down the road you hope to have the loot for 'that camera' that you want. Figure out the best way to work within your budget, and go for it.

Carpe camera.

IVIajoI2a
02-03-2006, 07:22 AM
I didnt really make this clear in the original post but im currently at a college studying media and i have access to mini dv cams, tripods and rifle mics. Ive got plenty of experience with consumer level cams due to the ones at college and a few of my mates have got ones which weve made sum short videos with. So ive got access to these types of cameras but i need to get my own camera. I jus want something that is better than a normal consumer cam. Maybe i was aiming a bit too high with the DVX or the XL-2 but i dont want something that isnt gonna give me fairly decent quality, i know as i am still starting off i jus need practice and the quality of the footage isnt that important but i would like a camera that would be able to provide decent quality footage. My budget will be around £600-£1400 so if anyone could reccomend a decent camera between that price range i would be quite happy. Thanks for all the feedback so far

micah9
02-03-2006, 01:50 PM
I ususally reccomend at least a 3 chip camera for aspiring filmmakers wanting practice, like the GL-2 or Sony shooters, though I prefer DVX100a and XL-2.
Basically, you can make money on the side if you want with these cams. Shooting weddings, birthday partys, bands, and public speakers. This is why i like to own my video camera which is currently a dvx 100ap. In 4 weddings it's paid off.
To make the bigger bucks you've got to advertise your own services, but even just freelancing for other video crews in the area as an additional camera man in a good way to help pay rent. By owning I never worry about camera availability-- it's available to shoot whenever, even if it's just experimenting, or like some sudden hot sex that merits filmming happens.