PDA

View Full Version : Shooting a Speech

Nerdninja
01-23-2006, 07:08 PM
I've been directing live for about 16 years, and this is the first time I've been asked to shoot something with my DVC30. I'm shooting a speech in a church setting. I am trying to figure out the best way to handle sound. Do I mic the person speaking with a wireless lav? Should I try to tie into the PA system there? Should I use a shotgun and capture the sound off of the PA system that way?

Any other tips for me? I'm fine with 6-10 cameras, a truck and a crew, but I'm new to one camera and just myself.

galt
01-23-2006, 08:03 PM
:shocked:

Joe Kras
01-23-2006, 08:19 PM
I would pick any two of the three choices you put up (for redundancy sake). Run them through a mixer if you have one, otherwise straight to camera.

Test ahead of time to make sure they work.

Matt Sconce
01-24-2006, 01:48 AM
Definitely double back up the sound. You should be good to go!

Chiaroscuro
01-24-2006, 11:36 AM
If the speaker is being miked for a PA system in the church, you should try to get a feed out of the PA to your camera. Make sure you test it out first, though! Otherwise, I would use a lav on the speaker (wired or wireless depending on your relative position). A shotgun could sound too hollow or too distant if you donít hang it close enough the speaker. I am assuming you are looking for a relatively close audio perspective, which is a clear recording of the speaker without the echoes that a church environment creates.

The tips given previously about redundancy are great too. Always cover your bases.

You must have started directing in a pretty big market. At my first directing job, 12 years ago in the one hundred and eighty something market, I had to serve as a field photographer/editor between the 6pm and 11pm newscasts. It was great experience, but it was very draining to shoot and then edit a vo/vob, and then prep for the 11pm newscast that I had to both call and punch.

Good luck.

Nerdninja
01-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks for all of the advice!

Actually I started out in Flagstaff, then the 202 market. I did the same thing, shot news, edited it, edited down the national news from the sat feeds, built the graphics and then directed the 6 and 10. Most of my shooting was sports. Luckily we had seperate directors and TD's. My next job (where I've been since '91) I directed, punched and ran robotic cameras all at once. I also talked to the entire crew through headsets and cued talent through headsets via a foot pedal. Both hands and a foot going at once :)

A few years ago I started doing remotes, too. I've done a lot of them, including six shows from six states in six days on one trip. Loooong days on a bus! I'm currently the studio manager, so I haven't directed in a few months since I started my new job.

Where was your 180-something market? I definitely think that although working in a place like that is draining, it definitely teaches you good habits and prepares you for the future!

It's rare for me to hear someone else refer to it as "punching." I'm always corrected and told it's "switching." :)

Ralph Oshiro
01-24-2006, 07:09 PM
My $0.02 . . .

FORGET THE HOUSE PA. NEVER DEPEND ON A FEED FROM THE HOUSE PA. Let me repeat . . . FORGET THE HOUSE PA. NEVER DEPEND ON A FEED FROM THE HOUSE PA.

Lav your speaker with a professional wireless body pack like a Lectrosonics. If you don't have a pro-grade wireless set-up, rent one--they're pretty cheap to rent. If all else fails, you can always simply boom the house PA speaker as a back-up (or even as the primary with a decent boom). If practical, have enough XLR cable to run a hard wire if necessary.

House PA systems are notorious for not having the right impedence, let alone having a buzz-free feed, and nevermind having the right sex/type of connector. If I had a nickel for every time I've said to a house mixer, "Whaddya mean you don't have a line-level XLR out?" And, "No, I DON'T have a 1/4" phone to XLR and a 25-50dB pad!" Or, "Holy crap! Where's the closest Radio Shack!" Believe me, house PA systems are generally a nightmare.

Nerdninja
01-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Wait, NBCshooter, I'm confused. Are you hinting that I shouldn't use the house PA? :grin:

I think you've talked me into putting the lav on the speaker. It's definitely the best considering that I'm shooting a senate candidate and I would probably want to get some footage of him shaking babies and kissing hands, or whatever the old saying is. :huh:
This way I can break away and follow him as he talks to people after the speech.

Now that you mention it, I do have a decent handheld mic and a boom, so I'll mic up the house PA as a backup as you've suggested.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone!

Ralph Oshiro
01-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Also, if there's any other news media expected there . . . get there early, and turn YOUR wireless transmitters on FIRST, and LEAVE THEM ON. That way, if any other crew is on the same block, they'll have to change THEIR frequency!

cpyle
01-24-2006, 10:39 PM
I second NBCShooter's advice to not use the PA. Forget it. What I have done sometimes as back-up is clip another wireless lav to the PA speaker. That way you remain completely wireless and the lav is so close to the speaker that you pick up less room ambiance. If I can't get a body pack on the speaker, I have in the past gaffer taped a lav right onto the speakers microphone on the podium and stung the wire down the neck to the transmitter hidden somewhere on or under the podium. You just have to hope he doesn't walk away from it.

Chris Pyle
Wildland Films

Lensmith
01-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Here's another vote for you to avoid the PA system at all costs. In fact, if all you need is the speech, I'd hardwire my camera to your own mic at the podium. Sure, it's fun to have a wireless but if you have a bunch of other crews around, you may be opening yourself up to problems that could be avoided. Getting there early might solve some interferrence issues but, especially at news events, someone always shows up late. What happens if their freqs mess up your audio?

KISS

Keep It Simple S....ir.:thumbsup:

Believe me, a senator is not going to wander off from the mic. Especially if there is other news media there. He wants what he says heard.

Nerdninja
01-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. Because of the format of the forum (which turned out to be a debate format) I had to have audio of both candidates. i would have liked to mic the speakers but they were flown. I could have gotten a mic to them from the ocrner of the balcony, but the church mic-blocked me at every step. They were afraid of someone tripping over the cables of my wireless mic. Yep, that's right. I told them a million times there were no cables but they didn't want me to set up my wireless mic in the unoccupied balcony because they were convinced someone would sue them for something. But they were more than willing to sell me the audio burned to a CD.

I ended up micing the room which didn't sound too bad, but certainly not the best. I was assured that the church knew I was coming but it was obvious they either didn't know or were not happy I was there.

Oh well, live and learn. It was a freebie job anyway. Next time I throw a wireless lav on my candidate and not worry about his opponent. I just ended up shooting coverage of people listening during the opposition's time anyway.

On an up note, despite the terrible lighting and dark room, the footage looks great even though it was shot at +9db and across a huge room from the balcony. The zoom on the DVC is great! I could shoot table-top to top of the head from really far back.

I appreciate all of the advice. I'm especially glad I didn't depend on the PA system based on what everyone said. The church was huge and I don't have the cables, not to mention that they were definitely not willing to play nice with me.

I've been railroaded into at least two weddings this summer for friends and family, so keep the advice flowing! :)

Nerdninja
01-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. Because of the format of the forum (which turned out to be a debate format) I had to have audio of both candidates. i would have liked to mic the speakers but they were flown. I could have gotten a mic to them from the ocrner of the balcony, but the church mic-blocked me at every step. They were afraid of someone tripping over the cables of my wireless mic. Yep, that's right. I told them a million times there were no cables but they didn't want me to set up my wireless mic in the unoccupied balcony because they were convinced someone would sue them for something. But they were more than willing to sell me the audio burned to a CD.

I ended up micing the room which didn't sound too bad, but certainly not the best. I was assured that the church knew I was coming but it was obvious they either didn't know or were not happy I was there.

Oh well, live and learn. It was a freebie job anyway. Next time I throw a wireless lav on my candidate and not worry about his opponent. I just ended up shooting coverage of people listening during the opposition's time anyway.

On an up note, despite the terrible lighting and dark room, the footage looks great even though it was shot at +9db and across a huge room from the balcony. The zoom on the DVC is great! I could shoot table-top to top of the head from really far back.

I appreciate all of the advice. I'm especially glad I didn't depend on the PA system based on what everyone said. The church was huge and I don't have the cables, not to mention that they were definitely not willing to play nice with me.

I've been railroaded into at least two weddings this summer for friends and family, so keep the advice flowing! :)

Nerdninja
01-31-2006, 06:44 PM

Nerdninja

Nerdninja

marlenedegrood
02-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Yep...you're better off with a Lav. You'll get much better sound since most speakers will not maintain a consistent distance from the mic, creating changes in volume. LAV IT! Trust me on this one.

Marlene