PDA

View Full Version : Help me with this scenario!

EP2005
01-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Starting end of march/early april, you record a sporting event that goes on once every other week. Before the next event takes place, you must have a "best of" reel of the previous week posted on a website and archived for a DVD that will be released before the end of summer.

you just had a meeting over the budget report and find out you're not getting your second DVX.

Do you:

A) continue to use just one DVX on 24p, continue to impress the players and fans with its beautful 24p footage, but know yourself that your missing important action and shots using just one camera.

B) use 2-3 cameras, one of them being your DVX, but this time not with 24p. Sacrafice that 24p beauty with your normal interlaced bs, but know you'll be getting more of the action you need.

C) use 2-3 cameras, one of them being your DVX, but continue to use it on 24p while the other 1-2 cameras are shooting 60i. Spend the extra time in post trying to match up your 60i with 24p with only two weeks to do so, and 6 months to complete a DVD of the season. Not to forget your actual job that goes on during the week.

Which one would you choose?

GraBird
01-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Think of your intended audience.

Since you didn't say what kind of sporting event or who this will be released to, I'm going to use the scenario that you're filming some sort of kids sports events.

In that case, the kids parents won't care less if it was done with 24p. They want to see exciting shots from lots of different angles. Watching the event from a static position will get mighty boring within 2 minutes or less. We're so used to professional coverage that changes up the angles constantly, so your audience will expect the same from yours.

I'd use your DVX where it can do the most good. Definitely not the "master scene" shot. But OTOH, I wouldn't want to be in the more "dangerous" part of the action with mine either. Use 60i. Why make more work for yourself?

Having watched some of those kids sports compilations, I can say that most have been incredibly boring, like watching the thing from the stands for 45-60 minutes. Snoozers.

Make it exciting with up-close action, varieties of angles, and capturing a lot of the human elements of the sport. Get where the usual viewer can't, and that'll make for a video everyone wants to see.

King Cole
01-23-2006, 06:43 AM
I agree with GraBird. I've done multiple sports videos for my school's sports teams. They don't care what the footage look likes as long as they look like they're good, the music is loud, and the cuts are fast. Get as many angles, as close to the action as you can. A big thing is music- if you find good music (within whatever copyright restrictions are on you) the video will be that much more enjoyable. You can do a lot in post to make the video look filmic or stylized that ignorant eyes will think looks great. Go with the multiple angles, and shoot in 60i.

just my $0.02

JC

KevinPeeples
02-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Are you using your new glidecam for this video?:)
Id shoot with as many cameras as you can. I did a video about 2 years ago with 5 cameras. They were all different, but the audience overlooked the differences and loved the many angles....