PDA

View Full Version : No idea what I'm doing

Venman
01-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Calling me a newbie would be an insult to newbies worldwide, but here's my question anyway.

I have a JVC DV3000 (miniDV) camera and would really like making some decent video with it. I don't know the lingo, but I see the difference between the "look" of the video I film and what I see on "quality" films.

How can I achieve a "film" or "near-film" look using what I have?

I'd like to do some half-decent work, but can't get past the home movie camera look.

Can I do anything (buy or make special filters) or do I need to buy a different type of camera?

Thanks in advance!

rpster88
01-19-2006, 03:02 PM
simple answer: get a dvx100/a/b or die

extended answer: with what you have now, you can run your footage through dvfilm maker (http://www.dvfilm.com/maker/index.htm) to give it a pretty good film like motion. you could also consider buying a dvx100/a/b to capture 24p film like motion natively.

personally, i wouldnt go either of these routes. instead id focus on support equipment to not only give a film look, but a film experience. id focus on getting a nice tripod, bogen manfrotto is a favorite out there. then some lighting since your 60watt bulbs at home just wont do(most people start out with work lights from home depot). after which i'd invest in sound equipment, a shotgun and som nice headphones. then i'd look around for a nice camera to go with.

Venman
01-21-2006, 08:07 AM
simple answer: get a dvx100/a/b or die

Okay. Fair enough. Now, what will this camera do for me?
Reminder: Newbie on board. :laugh:

If I were to save up for a camera like this, what would it buy me?
I would definitely like to start working toward professional looking video.
I saw one of these online for about $1600 (not completely out of the question).
Does it offer all the inputs/outputs/blahblahblah that I would need?

Thanks!

insanityfw
01-21-2006, 09:14 AM
You my friend are on DVXuser.com. To see what the DVX can do for you just look around the different areas for a while, download clips that people are offering and learn. Read the thousands and thousands of informative posts. That's what all this is here for. Once you've looked around a bit and used the SEARCH function for some answers, start asking specific questions of all the knowledgeable people on the board. Also, be prepared to laugh a lot, there are some crazy people here too.

Just as a side note check out a book called the Digital Video Production Cookbook. It's a great way to push the limits of your camera to get more out of any camera.

Welcome and enjoy the ride. :)

Ed Kishel
01-21-2006, 09:18 AM
if you found a DVX online new for $1600 avoid it, legit models dont sell that cheap. If you found one used, than its a great deal providing it is a legit US model. Ask for serial number than call panansonic and check. If it is and in decent condition grab it.

It has all the blablabla you need for SD video. Firewire, XLR, composite. If you cant afford a DVX right now, shoot with what you do have and get to amazon and pick up a couple of books on filmmaking. Light properly, frame you shots, stabilize your shots, use a seperate microphone blablabla

Then if you want the 24p film motion look, try dvfilmmaker www.dvfilm.com

stephenlnoe
01-21-2006, 09:28 AM
You do not need to buy a new camera. You need to know how to use your camera intimately and how to control it as well as the situation your shooting in to achieve the best overall look. Your camera has a manual focus ring and manual settings so you have some good tools to get you started on cinematography. Go to the public library and get a book on photography and work on technique with the camera you have. You'll be shocked to find out that with diligence in learning technique you have a powerful camera already.

Here is a book that is alway worth having Digital Filmmaking Handbook (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1584500980/sr=1-2/qid=1137864125/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-6187561-5090213?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

Here is a comprehensive online course in Digital film and tv productionCyber college (http://www.cybercollege.com/tvp_ind5.htm)
Select the applicable subject from the drop down box and then follow the teacher.

good luck...

Ed Kishel
01-21-2006, 09:46 AM
oh yea, you can try the library too. They still have those :)

x-angel
01-21-2006, 02:42 PM
coming as a fellow "noob" -- I can give you this advice: Get 'er done.

What I mean by that is this...there is no one person that can teach you everything about filmmaking. I am sure most of the vets here are still learning things on a daily basis. It also depends on what syle you want.

A wedding videographer can learn from a movie maker, and vice versa, its a great collective (if anyone startsinging kum bay yah....)

I have learned by reading this board and videouniversity.com, and dvinfo.net. These are general guidelines and not hard rules.

There are rules of thumb that you should get to know (like no instant mega zoom, and dont beat you camera against wall when your head is better and more easily repaired.)

Example: I am a wedding/even videographer by trade...I just helped the Army cover the Transfer of Authority ceremony. A lot of the PAO guys shot it as a news event...I used my experience (little such as it is) to get more dynamic type shots. The result? I got compliments from the PAO for my differnt angle of shooting.

What did I get from the PAO guys? Better knowledge on stabilizing my shots, and framing the shots better..it's ALL give and take.

And I haven't even touch the tip of the ice berg on lighting and things like that.

Read. Shoot. Read. Shoot. If you get frustrated in post production...walk away..have a beer, soda, cigarette, joint (whatever your vice is) and give it a fresh set of eyes.

One rule of thumb I can give you: Only some much can be done in post-production. Sure you can color correct but if you shoot crappy...and then you color correct...all you got is color corrected crap. It's a more "film-like" piece of crap.

So just keep these things in mind...Spielberg wasn't born an academy awarding winning director...Lucas did THX 1028 before Star Wars... it takes work, diligence, and patience.

Just my 1.978652398657410 cents.

Barry_Green
01-21-2006, 03:14 PM
One rule of thumb I can give you: Only some much can be done in post-production. Sure you can color correct but if you shoot crappy...and then you color correct...all you got is color corrected crap. It's a more "film-like" piece of crap.

Nominated for "quote of the day." :thumbsup:

x-angel
01-22-2006, 01:13 AM
Wow...
Barry read something of mine and complimented it... :shocked:

I am so not worthy