PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here-a few questions

AdamtheBob
01-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Hello all, my name is Adam and I just recently got drawn into the world of filmmaking.

Myself and my friends are shooting very amatuer films on a $100 digital camera and I am putting it all together at home using Adobe premier 6.5.

My friend and amateur director Dustin has his eyes set on being a full paid director. This has been his dream since he was around 7-8 years old. I would like nothing more than to help make his dream possible. I want to buy him a digital camera worthy of B-rated movies. I cannot spend more than $1000, but if I have to I may go as far as $1200. I don't know enough to tell the difference, but the camera would have to be able to transfer video to my computer.

Being his co-director and film editor and I would like to learn as much as I can about filmmaking. I finally found a filmmaking forum after a lot of searching and I can't wait to get to know as much as possible.

Any tips or advice would be great.

Thank you

Luis Caffesse
01-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Adam,

My advice would be to keep shooting with that $100 camera for as long as you can while you learn as much as you can. Keep reading posts and asking questions here.

The equiptment doesn't make NEARLY as much difference as your experience and talent. Keep working at it - and once you feel like you've outgrown that camera then you might want to start thinking about buying a new one.

Do you have one you can borrow from someone?

Arcwave
01-16-2006, 02:45 PM
I agree with Luis.

I first started out with a basic $200 Hi8 Handycam and used that for almost 5 years until just recently I was drawn to this forum and the DVinfo community which led me to buy my SONY HDR-FX1 [~ $3500 camera]

Stick around here and you'll pick up information that will truely help you and your filmmaking collegues achieve better.

It's good to have you here,

Jesse

dvxwheelr
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Dito, dito. And when your ready to step up in the camera department, I found this website helpful. (Http://reviews.cnet.com/) Check out the editors top camcorders.
-dvxwheelr

AdamtheBob
01-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, you're very helpful. I guess I will just stick with the cheap camera for a while.

Here's a link to our first official release:

Just a little goof.

http://www.darksidevideo.org/player.aspx?fileid=A9A0944A-78D2-47C9-A36B-2949FECC8283

Please enjoy.

AdamtheBob
01-16-2006, 07:22 PM
I would also like to know about copyrighting a name. Just making it illegal for anyone else to use our title. I can probably find out how to get our own domain, but I would like to know how to get our title copyrighted. Anyone?

Arcwave
01-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Copyrighting a company usually means your going to have to go down to the capital of your state [if you live in the US] and get papers (lots of them). This isn't a cheap process, and it also takes time.

Keep looking around online about it.

Jesse

Bigmagic
01-16-2006, 11:05 PM
I'm not sure you can copyright a title. You can't copyright a song title I know.

ICED OUT!
01-19-2006, 03:34 PM
yep, just keep learning, shooting and hitting this forum.

dvxwheelr
02-03-2006, 08:22 PM
I would also like to know about copyrighting a name. Just making it illegal for anyone else to use our title. I can probably find out how to get our own domain, but I would like to know how to get our title copyrighted. Anyone?

You might want to check out this site: http:www.copyright.gov/
_dvxwheelr