PDA

View Full Version : I now have a GL2 on Loan, but should I...

x-angel
01-16-2006, 04:16 AM
Hey another chapter in my "camera crusade"

I have been assigned by my unit to be a "public affairs rep"

Long story short, I had a choice between a GL2 and a XL1. I got the GL2, but I could go back and get the XL1. The XL1 looked like boat anchor.

I don't know canon's that well, as I have been studying up on Panny's, but would anyone here recommend going back and getting the XL1 over just keeping the GL2? I will only be getting the camera, and will not have access to any other accessories such as swappable lenses and things like that.

What I am shooting for: I will be doing a bunch of practicing with these cameras (XL1/GL2 and the PV-GS120 I have) for when I get the Panny's (100b) I will be doing mockumentaries, ego films, and other silly stuff

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Evan S
01-17-2006, 11:24 AM
I used to look at the GL2 to buy, and while comparing it to the XL1 it's a better camera. Except the XL has changeable lens's, and shoulder mount. I think you should stick with the GL2 though. Just my opinion.

x-angel
01-19-2006, 04:02 AM
thats what I was thinking. I wont have the lenses to change out with, and unless the XL1 can use standard Canon 35mm lenses.. I dont think it would be that much better.

Chris_Mueller
01-19-2006, 11:55 AM
I dunno... I personally would go with the XL1 simply because it has 1/3 inch CCD's. I can only assume the picture quality is better.

On the other hand, the GL2 has a form factor similar to the DVX's and so you'll be used to the style once you've worked with the GL2 for a while.

NM_film_maker
01-29-2006, 08:04 PM
It depends on what your doing with it. Like they mentioned ubove, the xl1 has a bigger chip so your quality is going to be better with the xl. One nice thing about the gl2 is its size like you mentioned. Whats also a added plus is that the gl comes standard with a 20X zoom. Thats almost double what the xl1 has and it's also the strongest zoom that comes standard on any prosumer camera. Since you can't get any accessories for the xl I would stick with the gl. Given that your satisfied with the picture quality so far with the gl2.

You can't beat the gl2's size.

Brad