PDA

View Full Version : which one is better beta, dv or hdv

vikaswalia
01-14-2006, 07:53 AM
please advise that which one is better BETA, DV OR HDV

Graeme_Nattress
01-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Better for what?

As a tape format, Beta, and by that I assume you mean BetacamSP, not betamax, is the worst. It has the loses resolution and highest noise.

For Standard Definition images, HDV downconverted to uncompressed SD looks best. DV is better than BetaSP as a tape format.

Graeme

vikaswalia
01-14-2006, 08:21 PM
thanks Graeme for replying.

In fact i mean to say as final result which will give the best picture quality, resolution and colour sampling.

i come from the place where people are still shooting on betacam sp and they don not want to shift from this format as they say that beta is uncompressed and hdv or dv is compressed so it looses the data in compression and the quality is hence not as good as we get from uncompressed betacam sp format.

the cameras generally used here are sony d50, d30 betacamsp format.

can u suggest me some links where i can get more information on this.

thanks again

Graeme_Nattress
01-15-2006, 02:13 AM
BetaSP is far from being uncompressed. It has about 3/4 of the resolution of DV or DigiBeta. It is analogue and noisey. It is not uncompressed. If people want to believe such falacies, perhaps they should take a course in engineering or read a book and stop being religious about ancient analogue tape formats.

Graeme

Barry_Green
01-15-2006, 05:04 AM
Vikaswalia, you have to separate out the camera head from the recording format. Most people record BetaSP on nice 2/3" cameras that cost up to $40,000 when new; then they try to compare DV by looking at the $3,000 prosumer cameras. That's not a fair comparison. DV (and its pro variants, DVCAM and DVCPRO) will outperform BetaSP if you attach a comparable camera head to the recording format.

But no $3,000 DV camera is going to compete against (what was a) $40,000 BetaSP camera! If you want to make a fair comparison, try using at least a Sony DSR400 as your DV point of comparison.

vikaswalia
01-15-2006, 06:30 AM
thanks a lot both of you for being so nice to guide.
as a person with no knowledge of these all i would like to ask. i hope you would reply.
1. which one will give better quality video-- betasp(d50 camera head), xl2 or jvc hd100?
2. what will be the difference in these 3

please let me know if we can chat online on this topic

thanks again

vikas walia

DMW
07-08-2006, 03:40 AM
Hello!

Did you get any solution for your camera? We are also in BetaCam platform and now gradually shifting to DV. But we also dont know which camera will give the better result. this is a sony market, and viewres are love to see the sony colour. In our market people are using sony DSR 570, sony dsr 290, Sony dsr 400 and DSR 450. I would also like to buy one. But cant take any decision which one should I buy and why?

Do you have any Idea or any body can help in this regard. Is there any forum where I can get the comparison of the cameras to decide what to buy?

waiting for the reply.

regards