PDA

View Full Version : PV-GS120 -- Is it worth it?

x-angel
01-14-2006, 01:43 AM
As many of you know, I am in the quest of two 100B's by the end of 2006. I am currently deployed to Kosovo, and I wanted at least one 100b before my R&R tour of europe.

I was talking to my roomate the otherday, and he jsut so happen to buy a little Sony Handycam, claiming that his previous Panasonic was too big.

I asked to see it, and lo and behold it was the 3CCD PV-GS120. And he wants $400 for it.

Now, I know that it's no 100B, it can't shoot 24P, it doesn't have true 16:9, and the CCD's are only 1/6". But it is 3CCD.

So my question is: Is this camera worth the $400? Here is why I am thinking about getting it:

1.) It is 3 CCD

2.) It's not as "conspicuous" as a full blown DVX100B, so it wouldn't be as likely to be stolen whilst I am in Europe.

3.) The price is good.
4.) In the future, it would provide as a good "hidden camera" for event recording.
5.) Budget wise, it free's up about $2600 for the Europe trip in july.

The only thing I dont like about it is that the manual focus leaves some to be desired, and the over manual controls are going to take getting used to.

I have seen some scene grabs on here with it, and it seems to do very well.. whether it was CC'd by Magic Bullet or not.

Just thought I would throw this out there, and see what people thought.

(How about building a 35mm adapter for it... :) )

christriplet
01-14-2006, 02:56 PM
As many of you know, I am in the quest of two 100B's by the end of 2006. I am currently deployed to Kosovo, and I wanted at least one 100b before my R&R tour of europe.

I was talking to my roomate the otherday, and he jsut so happen to buy a little Sony Handycam, claiming that his previous Panasonic was too big.

I asked to see it, and lo and behold it was the 3CCD PV-GS120. And he wants $400 for it.

Now, I know that it's no 100B, it can't shoot 24P, it doesn't have true 16:9, and the CCD's are only 1/6". But it is 3CCD.

So my question is: Is this camera worth the $400? Here is why I am thinking about getting it:

1.) It is 3 CCD

2.) It's not as "conspicuous" as a full blown DVX100B, so it wouldn't be as likely to be stolen whilst I am in Europe.

3.) The price is good.
4.) In the future, it would provide as a good "hidden camera" for event recording.
5.) Budget wise, it free's up about $2600 for the Europe trip in july.

The only thing I dont like about it is that the manual focus leaves some to be desired, and the over manual controls are going to take getting used to.

I have seen some scene grabs on here with it, and it seems to do very well.. whether it was CC'd by Magic Bullet or not.

Just thought I would throw this out there, and see what people thought.

(How about building a 35mm adapter for it... :) )
I own the camera and really like it. My girl friend bought it for me last year. My dream cameras are the dvx100b and hvx200 of course. I use it for general home video and in full screen mode the picture is awesome. I am bulding a 35mm adaptor for it and can't wait to play around with it. I think the only draw back is the lack of manual focus ring because it uses the touch pad for that. I would get a good external microphone. i suggest the rhode microphone or the basic seinheiser. In low light situations the shots are muddy so make sure you have at leaste one good light source. The colors are rich and vibrant and I would say better than the Canon gl2. I say get it. You can always play around with the footage in any editing program. I am happy with it and will continue to use it even when I get the dvx100b and incorporate the footage in my productions.

x-angel
01-15-2006, 02:32 AM
lemme know how the 35mm adapter progress goes. I'm in kosovo, and getting some of the supplie to build on might be a little difficult

lpcvideo1
01-15-2006, 04:06 AM
Great little camera, though I'd still get the B. The $2600 will just be gone after sightseeing. The B is the gift that keeps on giving.

I hear you about the conspicuousness factor, however. The 120 can just sit in a lunchbag on a train seat. The DVX will be gone in a minute.

Still, I'd think about the long haul.

x-angel
01-15-2006, 05:59 AM
Great little camera, though I'd still get the B. The $2600 will just be gone after sightseeing. The B is the gift that keeps on giving.

I hear you about the conspicuousness factor, however. The 120 can just sit in a lunchbag on a train seat. The DVX will be gone in a minute.

Still, I'd think about the long haul.

Well.. This whole europe trip is for my wedding anniversary. I always promised my wife a european vacation..just didn't tell her how we were going to get it. :)

My wife an I are in agreement tha tI can get the 2 B's after the vacation. Iwill still have plenty of time for teh savings and practice time. One will be sent to the house..the other willbe sene here to Kosovo. Although that may not be neccessary sine the local PAO is letting me check out one of there high speed Canons. I know it's not a DVX, but hey, just like the GS120, it's a start.

KyleProhaska
01-15-2006, 06:39 AM
http://www.pana3ccduser.com

The GS120 is an excellent camera but me myself went for the GS400. It has more manual control than any camera in its price range and its image quality is awesome. Its about 1000 dollars right now and has 3CCD (1/4.7in). If you dont mind spending a little more the GS400 will leave you happier. Most people at that place will say so even thoug the GS120 is a great camera. GS400 is the way to go if you wish to use it for films because of its manual control and true 16:9 mode.

-Kyle

x-angel
01-15-2006, 07:44 AM
I uderstand about the GS400, but the "boss" wont let me spend that much right now. Also I am paying it in payments, so it works out well.. Iwill probably try and build a 35mm adapter for it just for shits and giggles.

Sean Michael
01-15-2006, 08:05 AM
I have a GS150 and like it. I started out with a GS35 (1 CCD) and ditched it in favor of the GS150. The 3CCDs, as you might expect, produce MUCH better video. The camera has been useful as a deck. It also comes in handy for certain shots in tight quarters (say, in a racecar cockpit at high speeds).

I went to Yellowstone on vacation last year. Instead of lugging around my DVX, I used the GS150. Later I wished I'd lugged around the DVX, but the footage turned out fine.

I think you can mount an external mic to the GS120/150. This would make a big difference, as the sound is compromised in a consumer camcorder-ish kind of way.

I'm not sure I agree with regards to the risk of theft. In my experience, small items disappear more quickly than big ones. It's tough for thieves to slip a DVX from your pocket.

Anyway, you would probably enjoy the GS120. I don't really consider it a replacement for a DVX, but rather a worthy supplement.

x-angel
01-15-2006, 12:59 PM
I don't really consider it a replacement for a DVX, but rather a worthy supplement.

Thats my point. It would be good supplement for those tight spots you were talking about. (Hidden cam on the altar, etc.)

Theft...well.. it doesn't stick out as much. Easter to mount to the body (via a strap)

I know the color def won't be as good as a DVX but it should beat the hell out of a 1 chipper. For an external micc...do you recommend a shot gun? or just some sort of omni?

Sean Michael
01-15-2006, 05:47 PM
This site has a review of the AT897 used in conjunction with a Panny 3CCD consumer cam. But a nice omni makes sense also.

http://www.pana3ccduser.com/article.php?filename=Review-of-the-Audio-Technica-AT897-Short-Shotgun-M

lpcvideo1
01-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Well.. This whole europe trip is for my wedding anniversary. I always promised my wife a european vacation..just didn't tell her how we were going to get it. :)

My wife an I are in agreement tha tI can get the 2 B's after the vacation. Iwill still have plenty of time for teh savings and practice time. One will be sent to the house..the other willbe sene here to Kosovo. Although that may not be neccessary sine the local PAO is letting me check out one of there high speed Canons. I know it's not a DVX, but hey, just like the GS120, it's a start.

Oh, cool! Europe trip and 2 DVXs.

Congrats, too, by the way. Hope you guys have a great time.

Sean Michael
01-15-2006, 11:29 PM
Here's a video entirely with my GS150. It was shot a few months ago.

Bear in mind that this wasn't any grandiose project...I was just tinkering around with the camera on a Sunday afternoon (no tripod, car mount, or other gear!) at our local racetrack, and decided to piece together the footage. The compact nature of the GS150 came in handy.

It's a 35MB WMV file. BTW, I may have tweaked the colors in post.

http://www.lostspyder.com/flightoftheporsches.wmv

Adam E
01-15-2006, 11:52 PM
i bought a gs200 before i got my 100a, and it is a good camera. i was considering selling it, but no one ever seemed interested. id say go for it if you want a compact 3ccd camera that produces good quality video.

by the way, i made a 35 adapter for my gs200 and the picture quality was awesome for what it was.

x-angel
01-16-2006, 07:29 AM
Thanks for all the input guys..

I am going to go ahead and get it...

I think it will compliment the Canon GL2 that I just received on loan from Uncle Sam (that's the U.S.A. for those of you in Navasota, TX)