PDA

View Full Version : RED Camera or Camcorder?

_MR_
01-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Is the RED camara going to be purely a Camera, or a Camcorder?

Not much has been mentioned on the data recording front, which is funny because it is probably the most important part of the camera! You can have a fantastic camera which will sample beautiful images, but if the recording system's a bit clunky and massive then serious problems are going to occur outside of a studio based environment.

RED Flash - is there any new information on this? What resolutions is this planned to work up to? 4K would be lovely, but not if you had to swap out a cartridge every 2 seconds. Will the recorder be in/on - camera, or carried by a data recordist teathered behind? I wouldn't complain at all if 4K images required a 2 person camera crew, but not at 720p. :huh:

Thoughts, ideas, confusion?

glassblowerscat
01-11-2006, 07:38 PM
I thought I saw something on red.com about recording to standard consumer media as well. Did I make that up, or am I confusing it with the Grass Valley camera? Must go look now ....

glassblowerscat
01-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Here we go:

"Record to our new RED Flash system, external hard drives, BlueRay [sic], tape or any other capable format. Partners will be announced shortly."

So at least some consumer media will be supported, possibly more ... ?

_MR_
01-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Here we go:

"Record to our new RED Flash system, external hard drives, BlueRay [sic], tape or any other capable format. Partners will be announced shortly."

So at least some consumer media will be supported, possibly more ... ?

I've seen that. But it does not state anything about internal recording. Is it a camcorder, or purely a camera? As I said, recording at 720p and even 1080 formats would be annoying if it were only able to go to an external storage unit. That is UNLESS that unit were incorperated into the design of the camera itself - meaning a dockable recording unit of some sort.

Also when they mention Partners will be announced shortly it suggests that there may indeed be something new. I would hope so.

So, yes I am aware of that quote, however to me it doesn't really mean much except that you can plug a recorder into it. At present the external recording options are a little poo.

So what is this RED Flash? What can it do? Where does it go?

glassblowerscat
01-11-2006, 11:56 PM
Good questions, and it will be intriguing to see the answer. I'm definitely reading into the statement from red.com, but it just sort of rings with the idea that it will in fact be a camcorder. Maybe I'm just a trusting, optimistic person. ;)