PDA

View Full Version : HDV for consumers? Maybe not...

Barry_Green
01-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Check this out:
http://www.photographyblog.com/index.php/weblog/comments/sanyo_xacti_hd1/

It's $799, it's high-def 720p, it's tapeless (uses SD memory cards) and it's not HDV. It's some new MPEG-4 format.

I used to think that HDV was going to gain a foothold in the consumer market, but developments like this may completely leapfrog it. $799 retail translates into a maybe $500-$550 street price, and it's tapeless... that sounds like a majorly winning combination for gaining consumer acceptance.

... wonder what the picture looks like? I'll try to stop by at CES and check it out. Also wonder what can edit its footage... but being SD-based, it should be pretty easy to find out!

mmm
01-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Interesting stuff.

I wonder if SD cards will be quick and large enough to make P2 unnecessary in a few years. I guess P2 will always offer 4 (well maybe only 2x) times the capacity and SD are a little small to keep track off!

redindian
01-03-2006, 03:07 PM
HVX uses SD card to store user settings right? can they be used to store clips as well? :)

mmm
01-03-2006, 03:35 PM
CF cards are already on 12 GB. I'm not sure of the data rates they can achieve, but it would fit DVCPROHD.

Shaw
01-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Barry, do you know what framerate the camera shoots at? It mentions 60p but that seems to be only in SD mode? Very interesting...

mcshyd
01-03-2006, 04:35 PM
i'd like to see that thing with a 35mm adaptor and a mattebox lol.

Barry_Green
01-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Barry, do you know what framerate the camera shoots at? It mentions 60p but that seems to be only in SD mode? Very interesting...
I know nothing about it yet, other than that press release. I do believe they mentioned something about 30p though.

I don't imagine anyone here would be interested in it at all for an actual tool to use; it looks to be exactly what its price would suggest -- a pocket handycam, certainly not a filmmaker's camera.

$799 starts to approach genuine consumer territory though. If it has a street price of $600, it might start to move some units. And it leapfrogs HDV, which means that the whole concept of HDV consumer cameras may get sidestepped.

rpster88
01-04-2006, 03:15 AM
At a 9mbps mpeg-4 hd stream, its hard to believe that itll be better than 19mbps 720p60 HDV.

as the owner of an hdr-hc1, id like to see what kind of a fight (if any) this camera can put up.

"The following settings can be manually adjusted according to the shooting situation: Manual focus adjustment (22 settings); aperture adjustment (5 stops); exposure compensation (1.8 EV, 0.3 EV steps); shutter speed (16 settings); ND filter On/Off; and image-quality adjustment (for sharpness and color saturation)." - www.sanyodigital.com

...just a thought, you can get a few of these and do some pretty cool multiangle stuff for live shows or what not.

mmm
01-04-2006, 03:45 AM
hmmm.... "image-quality adjustment"....

angrynerdrock07
01-10-2006, 01:37 PM
For that price it would make a pretty nice camera to just have fun with. Although I'm sure the image would leave a lot to be desired in HD.