PDA

View Full Version : Spider PSD File

kai
12-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Below is the link to my Photoshop contest entry original file so whoever wants to play with it and see how it was constructed can feel free to download it. I tried to go back and label the layers enough so you can find your way around the file. I think by competitors "lifting their skirts" at the end of the contest we can all learn and grow (which is the point of the contests). Let me know if you have any questions... :beer:

http://www.kylestauffer.com/dvx/kaispider.psd.zip (17MB)

CaptainMench
12-06-2005, 10:49 PM
Wow -- I just can't believe all the layers. Even down to that rock... how many people actually took the time to see that rock the first time they looked at your spiderpic?

Thanks, Kai.

CaptM

kai
12-06-2005, 11:47 PM
how many people actually took the time to see that rock the first time they looked at your spiderpic?

It's all about the details man :)

TC
12-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Holy crap kai. That's insane.

How did you do the spiders shadows and highlights? Just pain them in?

skettalee
12-07-2005, 07:29 AM
Seems like a normal layering to me. Guess you guys need to up your Photoshop lives and learn to keep all your layers and the little things count the most. Thanks for sharing man. NOW START THE NEXT CONTEST OR I WILL. I already have ideas for new contests.. I do contests on my forum all the time, havent had any new ones lately though, we do mostly photography contests now. If you want to join them, we would appreciate it : http://www.damienbenoit.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3453

skettalee
12-07-2005, 07:32 AM
PS : Just noticed that you dont have the spider in the reflection of the water, whats the dealio ?

kai
12-07-2005, 07:55 AM
Holy crap kai. That's insane.
How did you do the spiders shadows and highlights? Just pain them in?

Yeah it's just painted in, or dodge/burned. Sometimes it's the simplest things that look just right.

PS : Just noticed that you dont have the spider in the reflection of the water, whats the dealio ?

Check the layers again... it's there. Because of the perspective it's just setback more.

Hey Captain, I'm guessing it's my go to pick the next round? If so I'll have the idea and photo asap.

skettalee
12-07-2005, 08:05 AM
Oh yeah, I seen it but doesn't look too realistic when looking at where the spider is seen from the hills in the back at the view point in front. He would be much more visible, along with the green areas on the bottom left shore lines as well. Its cool though. No biggy, I know this isn't for the latest KING SIDER film and needs to be critical, just noticed it looked strange and thats what I figured out made it look that way.

CaptainMench
12-07-2005, 08:24 AM
hehe -- looks like Skettalee's gonna have to put his Wacom where his Mouth is soon enough!!

CaptM

kai
12-07-2005, 08:52 AM
hehe -- looks like Skettalee's gonna have to put his Wacom where his Mouth is soon enough!!

CaptM

hehe yep them's fightin words! lol

skettalee
12-07-2005, 09:05 AM
LOL. Yeah, just pointin it out. Im not the best but I sure as never will use a Wacom. I hate those things, mouse all the way for me. I tried using one for a week at a time once cause we got like 10 in our shop, screw that, I could never get it right. Maybe if it was an actual screen I could probably get used to it.

kai
12-07-2005, 01:41 PM
I was a mouse jockey for years, then I saw the light and moved to the full size Wacom. No more numb arms, etc. It's quite amazing once you get the hang of it... very natural. Definitely requires hand-eye coordination.

TC
12-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Before I post this, I just want to say that I love this picture. It's rekindled my interest in photo manipulation. And this is the only problem that I was able to find with the picture. I agree with kai, in that the angle of the reflection (of the spider) would be as it is.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/7148/kaispiderpeaks5jz.jpg

David Jimerson
12-07-2005, 04:45 PM
The reflection is spot-on. Didn't notice the missing crags, though. Good eye!

kai
12-08-2005, 12:49 PM
man good eye!!!! Knew I should've spent more time on it lol

petelms
12-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Hey, Kai! Thanks for posting! Very nice stuff indeed, very nice.

Btw, is your first name Kai or...? We have here in Finland name Kai for a man/boy. :beer: Just curious...

kai
12-08-2005, 09:37 PM
No, Kai is just a nickname.. short for Kyle.

Andrew Brinkhaus
12-27-2005, 07:26 PM
so when should we plan on getting the info on the next contest?

ronik15
12-27-2005, 07:40 PM
Yeah I'm anxious.

JimtheJib
12-27-2005, 08:13 PM
hey kai. i was looking at the file and i noticed that several layers titled rev 3 or rev four or rev something were just copies of the whole image with a different opacity. is that all they are? what are their puposes? and did you only change opacity?

thanks

p.s. WOW