PDA

View Full Version : My Lucky Productions Wedding Demo

LuckyProducer
11-23-2005, 07:11 AM
Hey guys, I never showed you guys my wedding demo! How stupid of me. Lol! Well here it is. It's not shot with the DVX. I didn't make a demo yet with a wedding that was shot with the DVX yet. This wedding was my first serious wedding. Let me know what you guys think.

(It was shot with a $700 Sony camera)

http://media.putfile.com/Wedding-Demo

dvxkyle
11-23-2005, 12:39 PM
How much did you get paid for shooting it? I ask because I may start shooting weddings within the next year and I was wondering what price range i should do. Also it will be shot with dvx.

Kevin Briggs
11-23-2005, 01:02 PM
I did my first wedding for free so I wasn't liable if I missed something. Also you learn a lot on your first wedding, and what to change to make sure you do better on your next one. I did my second wedding for $500 and that includes a completely edited DVD with chapters, sleeve etc. If you charge a lot of $ and your battery dies or your tape runs out in the middle of something important the B&G will be pissed. Don't try to pass yourself off as professional if you can't deliver the goods. I recently had a B&G tell me that they let their friend video tape and edit their wedding for $1500. They were very upset with the quality of the camera work the grainy video from a crappy 1 chipper. They are now faced with the dilemma of asking for their $ back and probably ruining a friendship. So if you are getting paid make sure you have a contract that says what your services will be providing so the bride and groom have no question as to why you missed their first dance etc.

Here is a link to a highlight video I did for my $500 wedding video (compressed from 200mb to 6.6mb):

Now that I know I have all the tools to produce a great dvd I'm going to be charging a minimum of $1200 for the basic wedding dvd.

http://media.putfile.com/AWJHweb3

LuckyProducer
11-23-2005, 01:28 PM
That wedding I charged $400. But now I am charging $1000, but no lower than $800. I include a DVD with chapter menus, extras, slideshows. I also include special messages of the bride and groom. You guys didn't say anything about what you think about my demo though. Lol! I am going to make another demo of the most recent wedding video I did. I will post it up sometime this week. Peace!

commalot
11-23-2005, 01:58 PM
Nice work with the stills. Very effective.

Joe Kras
11-23-2005, 02:42 PM
Events are hard, and weddings are perhaps the hardest events of all (maybe that's why I don't shoot them).

I, too, liked your use of stills. I also think your shot selection and composition are solid.

The first thing I would do to improve things would be to use a tripod more. There is no reason the opening shot of the church sign/steeple couldn't have been on a tripod, and it would have benefitted immensely. Also the shots at the front of the church. If they won't let you set up sticks there, then at least get a monopod. The shakiness is too distracting, and takes away from the good elements cited above.

Secondly, if the audio is representative of the rest of the video(boomy), it could also stand some improvement. Either wireless lavs or a recorder in the grooms pocket (iRiver or similar) will help this situation. The audio was intelligible, but if you improve it you'll stand out from your competition.

Again, I respect the limitations and difficulty of shooting weddings, but think those two changes will really make the rest of the video shine.

Joe Kras
11-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Kevin, just watched your highlights from your $500 video.

They certainly got a bargain. Nicely done.

Kevin Briggs
11-26-2005, 07:07 AM
Thanks Joe,

Lucky,

There are too many zooms left in the footage. Not enough close ups. Why did you leave the people speaking for interviews w/o leaving the audio? It just seems wierd. A lot of the footage is really jerky, and I understand how this would happen with such a small camera, but maybe slow the footage down so the jerky movements are less obvious. You want the mood of the video to match the mood of your slow song. For $400 though this is great. Maybe just keep these things in mind when you shoot with your dvx on the next one.

-Kevin

LuckyProducer
11-26-2005, 12:14 PM
Check out my new DVX wedding demo. Tell me what you guys think.

http://media.putfile.com/Demo-2-512-kbps74

Pettersen
11-26-2005, 12:29 PM
Nice vertigo-effect, even though I can really get why you used it.

It was a bit over-exposed sometimes, if it wasn't your cc.

The music, if you don't have copyright on it, you cannot sell the film, unless you wanna be sued.

LuckyProducer
11-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Are you serious? I've been doing that for a long time. What must I do to copyright it, and how much does it usually cost?

Kevin Briggs
11-26-2005, 02:51 PM
I don't think you need to worry about it on weddings. 99% of wedding videos use copyrighted material. If it was going to show on TLC's "A Wedding Story" or something that was on TV you might be a bit more concerned, but most likely it's only going to be shown within the family and close relatives. Even all the big award winning Wedding videos have copyrighted music as the soundtrack. If an artist was to sue you they would have to start looking at sueing 1,000's more for the same thing. If you want to get picky you could record the feed straight from the DJ booth at the reception and at least then you would have some justification because that music was playing at the event and all you did is use it in a different place during the wedding day.

As far as the demo, I really like all the close up shots. The blue Ford Focus that goes by needs to be taken out, unless it has some real importance to the bride and groom as a wedding gift or something. Really try to concentrate on really slow movements when you are handheld. There are lots of parts that are still pretty jerky. It seems like you were aware of the things going on behind the person that you were focused on, which adds some great depth and interest. If you don't have a tripod get a cheap monopod. This will still be very portable and if you use it right it will give you some smoother shots. The slow motion on the pink table with the bible and candles was just right. The quick fashes of light toi show the passing of time in between the maids and the grooms men needs to be a little longer. Her dad looks like he's young enough to marry her:) I wouldn't show the audience at all unless they are showing some emotion. They just looks bored and it adds absolutly nothing to the promo. You can adjust your white levels to brighten up any dark reception footage without adding a lot of noise. I like the ending.

Nice use of the walking in while zooming out, but next time try walking back while zooming in. This will put more importance in the bride and not the ever expanding background or you could just reverse your footage in post.

-Kevin

trickyrick
11-26-2005, 10:14 PM
To add to Kevin on the copyrighting issue... you can also include in the contract that you take no responsibilities on the music and that the music is up to the client...not the company. That would help as well.