PDA

View Full Version : Panny Varicam HD rack help!!!

DaveMac
11-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to solve a problem. We are using a Panny varicam (no firewire, just bnc out). We want to use DV rack HD. How do we get the bnc from the varicam into the computer's firewire? We tried running it through a dvx, did not work. Is there a converter? Thanks,
Dave

khmuse
11-19-2005, 01:06 PM
DV Rack only supports DV25 data rates or with the upgrade DV25 and HDV. HDV is no where near the data rates nor format of the Varicam's HD SDI. A conversion from HD SDI to HDV might be possible (haven't had time to search) but regardless, would be a tremendous hit in terms of image quality as HDV isn't even close to HD SDI.

Jarred Land
11-19-2005, 01:48 PM
i can assume you realize your not gonna get HD-SDI into DV-rack.. you want dvrack for some sort of dailies solution at SD.. in which case you can use a BNC to Firewire adapter http://www.tvone.com/dv1394a70.shtml to go from the varicam to DVrack.

and as for the HD-SDI to HDV.. i know there are convertors that go the other way (HDV to HD-SDI) but i dont know of any that go from HD-SDI to HDV... seems like a product that would be kinda silly to make... who wants to turn true HD into HDV?

DaveMac
11-19-2005, 02:02 PM
Jarred,
Your right. We wanted to use dv rack for the waveform, vector scope and reference monitor. Is buying the converter worth it? Or are we taking a huge hit on the conversion?
Dave

Jarred Land
11-19-2005, 02:17 PM
its kinda a bad idea.. because you are introducing a whole new compress-decompress to a different format, so using a convertor DV based vector scope/waveform would defeat the purpose.. as you would get inacurate results. I would suggest rather just getting a true HD reference monitor that has vectoscope and a waveform with a monitor function.. the Astro WM-3001 is a 6" incredible little monitor.. its small yes, but does pretty much everything... and has a loop through to goto an external larger monitor.

ITs expensive though, $8000 expensive, but you can rent it for about $120 a day.