PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Contest #1 . . . "Gigantus" !!

Matt Grunau
11-19-2005, 08:13 AM
Example pic says it all:

http://www.paramm.com/dus.jpg

This was done by one of my students for our Photo Concepts class. As John brought up in another thread, we should stick to things that will help with video. This does that, in compositing.

CaptainMench was nice enough to say he would host photos. So, the task is simple: We will all have the same base photo to work with. Then the object is to take another photo (preferably one of yourself, your kids, or anyone you can get in front of a camera) and put the main subject in your photo into the other, as a giant.

Things to take into account:

1. Color correction

2. Kind of day (cloudy, direct sun, rain, snow, ect)

3. Light direction

4. Forground objects and subject surroundings (in the case above, the student rebuit the streetlight in front of him to add depth, added his own shadow, and added a reflection of himself in a building next to him, as well as matching the base picture's white color)

With that said, I think one week would be plenty of time. Try to keep the final pics the size like the one above so they will fit nicely in the thread, but working with a much larger pic and scaling down is your best option, since you will have more pixels and room to work.

Suggested time would be 4-5 hours.

Whoever wants to suggest the Enviroment pic is welcome, and CaptainMench or I will host your finished work if you need.

Lastly, we could vote on a base pic someone links to or posts, or, we can let Hudson or another Mod choose from a potential list or just choose the pic themselves. Their mods, and that's kinda what they do.

Good luck everyone, and once the base pic is chosen, the clock starts tickin'. Remember, Humor is a good, good thing.

Cheerio, toodle pip, and lets rock.

:thumbsup:

Shaw
11-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Are there set criteria for judging? Maybe have catagories based on your 'things to keep in mind'? What format image are you looking for as the base image? RAW? TIFF? JPEG?

Looks like fun :)

Matt Grunau
11-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Are there set criteria for judging? Maybe have catagories based on your 'things to keep in mind'? What format image are you looking for as the base image? RAW? TIFF? JPEG?

Looks like fun :)

I think the posted pic format should be .jpg, simply because of its size. But when you are working, any format that is a native RGB would work.

As for "judging" I think we can either have a poll, or just kind of compliment where others have done well. We can do the "things to keep in mind", or a more comprehensive "overall" view.

I don't want this to be a contest where people may shy away, thinking their work not able to win, so let's keep the "judging" a little open and critiques positive and contructive. Someone may have really great color correction, someone else may have light direction and cast shadows well, and others may have all elements encorporated, but not as well as others. It is still very open. I say we let Hudson weigh in, but I want to stress that the first and foremost object of these contests is to simply hone your skills, and share tips and tricks, and in the end, benifit your abilities which relates to better video production. Think of it as working with one frame of video, since everything we do will translate to video perfecltly.

There are no prizes, apart from learning and practice, so let's keep this light hearted, fun, and informative.

Matt Grunau
11-19-2005, 01:45 PM
Captianmench has suggested this pic:

http://homepage.mac.com/captmench/IMG_2515.jpg

Larger versions are available to use for your editing. This size is a good one for your final output to be scaled to. If you guys agree, we can go with it. He has generously agreed to help post final pictures, and I will as well, but for space, bandwidth and ease, please try to keep your finished one around this size.

Thanks and shout outs to Captianm.

Comments?

Hectorxd
11-19-2005, 02:40 PM
yeah I like it. Lets do it. I got ideas running through my head already.

CaptainMench
11-19-2005, 02:56 PM
Ok -- I'll start a new thread with some of the rules and a posting of the full size pic.

CaptM