PDA

View Full Version : find two ideal locations for a film shoot

shaun_au
11-16-2005, 10:51 AM
I've been struggling on trying to find a couple of good locations for a project I'm working on.

The first location is for a single male apartment. My idea for this will be in a large room of an old victorian house, not like those white walled cookie cutter apts where I'm living in. The reason for an old and retro type of room is that it has a nice atmoshpere in it such as retro wall paper, wooden floor and windows like the ones I lived in back on east coast(college days). By adding some matching furniture and wall decorations like photos, posters, etc, I can lit up the scene with some interesting colors and tones, to create a nice aged, but cozy living enviroment. My frustration right now is obviously finding a place like that. There're mostly those large apt complexes with boring white walls near where I live. Even if I find one I like, I doubt I can just knock on the door and tell the landlord I need to use his place to shoot a film. I thought about modifying an existing room to create a set. I bought 10 rolls of those old ugly wallpaper on ebay, but the problem would be who would willing to let me "destroying" his property. I don't plan to permanently mount the wallpaper and I'll try to be protective, but still the wallpaper idea would certainly scare a lot of landlords.

The second location is a bit easier. It is an imaginative interrogation scene. It needs to be a large room with a table and a chair. Since the interrogation really happened in a person's mind, so I originally wanted to have an all white space, sort of like that shot in Bruce All Mighty where Bruce meets the God in an all white room. Is easy to find a large room with white walls like a very large conference room, but it's hard to find a pure white floor. So with these restriction in mind, I changed the scene to be a dark room, only the table and chair are lit. So I tried this shot in a large 3 car garage. It worked okay. The garage is got depth being a 3 car garage, but it has no width. So my camera has to be locked down to a straight up shot, any coverage from different angles will expose the garage door and the washer, dryer and other owner's stuff. Later, I thought about not doing a very dark room. So I thought about using an underground garage, it has it's advantages and disadvantages. The advantage is obvious: it's big and open. With those large concrete supports, I can add some interesting lighting with depth. The disadvantage would be to control the ambient noise and keep the cars out without alarming security.

So I'd like to hear some suggestions from you guys. If you are to find those two locations, where would you start looking?

Thank you. :cheesy:

Shaun

jpbankesmercer
11-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Shaun,
I did an interrogation scene such as yours also in a garage. I tried to compress the space rather than highlight the obvious disadvantages, being small, and everything came out cheeky. If your not happy with your results ask around your mates and see what they have to offer. Try looking for location services in your area, the only problem with this is money and insurance, they don't usally start looking for you until you have it in place. Get out and about, you will be suprised what you can blag :thumbsup:
Good hunting.
J.P.