PDA

View Full Version : New Directing Mod

jpbankesmercer
11-09-2005, 04:39 AM
Hello everyone, as new Mod for the Directing section I would like to create some healthy discussion/ awareness covering all aspects of directing.

Directing itself is a subject that could take a lifetime to understand, something that with every project you do, reveals itself to be more complex than you ever first imagined. The better you get at it…the more avenues will open-up to you. So by that rationale, we all need as much help as we can get. I personally have been working in the business for the past fifteen years, covering most areas of production. I originally trained as an Actor. For the past six years I have been running my own Production Company, producing products right across the board. I also work freelance as Director, Filmmaking Teacher, Producer.

This is my living and I live for it.

Topics I intend to discuss.

A. Actors. (Methods, Practitioners, can a person be taught to act? Working with difficult people, blocking, the Actors Director and of course acting.)
B. The Producer/ Director. (Going it alone and doing everything yourself! How to surround yourself with the right people.)
C. Shot choice (To mid or not to mid? The unseen art.)
D. Working with a D.P. (Trusting another person to do their job, choosing your own shots.)
E. Directing. (Storytelling, Themes/ styles, planning, crews, shooting, editing and the delivery.)
F. The Modern Directors Role (What is expected of the Director, wearing different hats, being the best you can.)
G. Storyboarding (Different ways to work, preparation, going with the flow.)
H. Film Analysis (Breaking films down into scenes to explore the Directors intentions.)
I. Making money from Directing (Working in different areas - from corporate to MTV, running your own production house, working for gratis.)
J. Motivation (Keeping fresh, new projects, pushing your limits, The Directors many choices.)
K. Technical Directing (Knowing what equipment to use, the collaborative process, planning a shoot.)
L. Writer/ Director (Your own products.)

Not all at once…!

What would you like me to start with??
J.P.

rsbush
11-09-2005, 06:47 AM
This is good news. I've always found your posts considered and informative. Start anywhere you want.

Chris Messineo
11-09-2005, 07:46 AM
JP,

Congrats on being a mod.

I would love to read a thorough discussion on proper shot selection.

I know I always agonize over what shots to use and usually feel like I overshoot and leave myself a real headache in the editing room.

Chris

oigflabble
11-09-2005, 09:37 AM
I am interested in learning: What are some of the common things that attract truly great actors to a role. I'd like to keep it narrowly defined to 'the role', as opposed to 'the project' (e.g. director, other actors, pay, etc).

Each actor is, of course, different... but what commonalities are there to the roles that attract and engage the finest actors?

HorseFilms
11-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Congrats, your Modship!

Ought2bCommitted
11-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Wonderful news! I look forward to learning from this section.

I know I'd like to start with a fusion of "E" and "C" from your list. Seems like the two would go sorta hand in hand.

Congrats!

-Robert

jpbankesmercer
11-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Rsbush, I think you have answered your own question. Remove working with the hottest new director or writer and getting paid millions to do it, what is left?
The role and the challenge. All good Actors, like good Directors have intuitive feelings and identify more with certain stories and characters than others. Of course imagination plays a huge part with some characters. Most Actors will gravitate towards the personality of a character that somehow mirrors their own life experiences. Plus like any artist, you want to work and grow, so you do your best and dig deep. The majority of great Actors and Directors I have had the good fortune to watch working, use their art to understand something about themselves. Often in the case of Actors to deal with issues pertinent in their current lives. Didn’t Tom Hanks recently declare on reading :- ‘The Da Vinci Code’ by Dan Brown, that he just knew he had play the part? Their Actors man!

Thanks guys...I will be posting some interesting threads soon.

J.P.

Hans Moleman
11-09-2005, 04:57 PM
anyone have a favorite line or phrase they like to give an actor to get em thinking about the role and get a better performance? my directing skills are limited, as I am a DP, but its always good to know these things

jermz
11-09-2005, 08:50 PM
welcome aboard JP! i hope to share some interesting discussions with you and everyone here in the near future.

J.R. Hudson
11-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Welcome aboard?

LOL

jermz
11-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Welcome aboard?

LOL

sorry, is there something wrong with welcoming a guy who has like 700 more posts than i do? :shocked:

what i really meant was -- err... hrmm... damnit!

guh, looks like i'm showing off my n00bness again. someone cover me, Hudson's ripping me a new one!

:lipsrseal

Luis Caffesse
11-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Hey, my DVX makes a clicking noise when I move it. Should I be worried?

:)
(that should take the heat off you for a little while jermz)

I'm looking forward to seeing some new life in the directing forum.
I've lurked there for a while but never really jumped in.
Hopefully JP can lead us to the promiseland.

J.R. Hudson
11-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Lol!

jermz
11-09-2005, 10:02 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing some new life in the directing forum.
I've lurked there for a while but never really jumped in.

Luis Caffesse is my god. Long live Chewie! BRRRAAAARRRAAR!!!!

Luis Caffesse
11-09-2005, 10:11 PM
Luis Caffesse is my god. Long live Chewie! BRRRAAAARRRAAR!!!!

Thanks for the sentiment....and for the record that's 'Lumpy' - Chewbacca's son from what is possibly the absolute worst TV special ever made, "The Star Wars Holiday Special."

There's a topic for the directing forum!
A lesson in what not to do.

jermz
11-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the sentiment....and for the record that's 'Lumpy' - Chewbacca's son from what is possibly the absolute worst TV special ever made, "The Star Wars Holiday Special."

There's a topic for the directing forum!
A lesson in what not to do.

Lumpy, eh? What a terrible name. If what you say is true about it being the worst TV special ever made, naming Chewie's child "Lumpy" is probably a big reason why, LOL.

pookie_old
11-09-2005, 11:25 PM

Luis, try moving the DVX farther away from your head and see if you can still hear it rattle. :undecided

If you can't, then the rattle is in your head, stop blaming the camera.:happy:

Now, you want JP to take you to the "promised land"......Manchester......???:shocked:

Good move JP, a Mod huh, good stuff.:thumbsup:

PS, how much did it cost you.........LOL

jpbankesmercer
11-10-2005, 02:40 AM
Guys,

Hans, guilt always works...I will be talking about handling Actors in a future thread...thick gloves and goggles... :thumbsup:

Jermz, welcome aboard yourself, please remove those glasses when filmmaking.

Luis, that’s twice you made me laugh
A, the ole standard still gets a chuckle.
B, Lumpy, your new nickname. Classic!

John, for anyone who has not read your fantastic screen analysis work on Psycho and Jaws.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/showthread.php?t=31469

We all would love you to contribute more of these; I know you’re a busy man, but seriously dude you’ve just got too! Work on something together? We both love horror so much, why don’t we get to the bottom of what has made modern horrors so frightening or not as the case may be, purely from the directors standpoint.

Pookie, I thought DVXuser.com was the Promised Land, although Manchester’s a close second…p.s…not very much… :thumbsup:

J.P.

rsbush
11-10-2005, 05:03 AM
I am interested in learning: What are some of the common things that attract truly great actors to a role. I'd like to keep it narrowly defined to 'the role', as opposed to 'the project' (e.g. director, other actors, pay, etc).

Each actor is, of course, different... but what commonalities are there to the roles that attract and engage the finest actors?

JP touched on emotional (my word) challenges. Other attractions include language and physical life as well as heroic or villainous roles.

rsbush
11-10-2005, 05:23 AM
anyone have a favorite line or phrase they like to give an actor to get em thinking about the role and get a better performance? my directing skills are limited, as I am a DP, but its always good to know these things

I've had great success with three things things.

"There was one moment when you did - insert what you want them to do HERE - that was really effective. Try going more in that direction." Pure manipulation I know, but it almost always works when your not getting what you need.

"Stop thinking and get on with it." It might sound simplistic but it's exactly what some actors need to hear.

And finally - absolutely nothing at all, just leave them hanging. This could backfire on you but again, with the right actor, it will force them to focus and really get to work. I always keep in mihd what the great English director Peter Brook said, "Sometimes the only thing better than a great director is a really horrible one. It has a way of making the actors pull together and find it themselves" (I'm paraphrasing). I've been in a couple of productions where this has truly been the case. Actors are generally the laziest of all artists but man do they hate to look bad .

Jay Rodriguez
11-10-2005, 05:29 AM
cool! a mod..... Looking forward to you topics.

jpbankesmercer
11-10-2005, 04:08 PM
The Acting debate has begun.

MORE OF THE SAME (http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/showthread.php?t=38297)

Rsbush, of course language! ;-D

J.P.

jermz
11-12-2005, 01:59 PM
Jermz, welcome aboard yourself, please remove those glasses when filmmaking.

I don't think that's possible, J.P. :undecided

thisiswells
11-12-2005, 02:12 PM
What would you like me to start with??
Hey, J.P. !

These areas are of interest to me personally:

C. Shot choice (To mid or not to mid? The unseen art.)
E. Directing. (Storytelling, Themes/ styles, planning, crews, shooting, editing and the delivery.)
J. Motivation (Keeping fresh, new projects, pushing your limits, The Directors many choices.)
L. Writer/ Director (Your own products.)

So, I finally got a camera and sound and filters and lights and I don't know what to do with any of it. Sad. Teach me!