PDA

View Full Version : JVC HD footage on SD TV's

Darren_Wharton
10-28-2005, 06:02 AM
Hi everyone....

Just watched Nate's HD1 clips.......Brilliant !! - also the Charles Papert clips, equally excellent....and inspiring.!

Just wondering........... to watch HD1 footage, does it have to be played on a High Definition TV, or will it play on normal SD widescreen TV's..?........Does the camera down convert......a la FX1...?

If the footage won't play on normal (SD) wide screen TV's, what is the method you would use to put it on to DVD for instance.......or Digi Beta tape for broadcast..or general release.

Cheers,

Darren Wharton
www.darrenwharton.demon.co.uk

KCFilms
10-28-2005, 11:02 AM
When I shot with the HD100 a few weeks ago, I just hooked up the composite out from the camera to a standard definition production monitor and it worked just fine. You will need a monitor that can display 16x9, unless you don't mind everything a little skinnier than normal. :thumbsup:

Neopics
10-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Just wondering........... to watch HD1 footage, does it have to be played on a High Definition TV, or will it play on normal SD widescreen TV's..?........Does the camera down convert......a la FX1...?

Indeed it does. In fact, JVC recently posted a FAQ page that mentions the topic specifically, with a comparision clip you can download.

JVC HD100U FAQ - Down Convert (http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/faq.jsp?tree=&model_id=MDL101539&itempath=&feature_id=13#dv1394)

The main gist of their example is to point out that it's best to keep everything in HD format through the post process and down-convert to DVD format later in the computer. However, the fact that the camera does down convert on its own makes it possible to at least preview footage (or edit an off-line version) in standard DV.

On a side note, I was a little shocked by their example. There is a dramatic difference between the two sides, but I found myself more concerned about how bad the in-camera down-convert looked rather than impressed by how good the post-down-converted version looked. The good side looks as good as what I get now from my old GL1, but JVC's DV version looks awful. It makes me wonder one of two things -- was the DV example "fudged" (e.g. blurred) to make the other side look more impressive, or does the camera actually do standard DV that poorly?

athouguia
10-28-2005, 06:33 PM
I've made a side by side comparison between my both cameras, HD101 and PD150. I shot in DV 50i and the JVC looked far superior than the Sony. Didn't edit anything, just plugged the camera directly to my CRT TV.

I don't think that DV footage from HD100 is even comparable with the GL1. I will also make a comparison with a DSR390.