PDA

View Full Version : DV5000 vs. HD100

adamr316
10-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Has anyone here used both cameras? My school just got two HD100s and I have yet to use them for fear of the split screen problem. I've notified our equipment manager but I haven't asked again if they've checked out the problem. Anyway...

How does the HD100 compare to the DV5000 video quality-wise? Does it equal the 5000 in low light situations? How is the quality of regular DV 24p or 60i modes? Does shooting in HD mode and then doing a "Pan and Scan" for 4:3 framing equal the regular DV output?

I recently reviewed footage from the DV5000 that was taken from the 5000 and downconverted to SVHS-ET (fake SVHS onto a VHS tape.) The footage was amazing...and it looks even better on DVD!

The DV5000 at my school has a 16x Canon lens and the HD100 has a Fujinon.

Thanks in advance.

KCFilms
10-24-2005, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure how the DV5000 compares to the HD100 as far as sensitivity, but if you really want a look very close to film, the HD100 is the camera to shoot with. I shot with the camera for a day at the company I work for (gift and candy manufacturing.) I brought the footage into After Effects and did a 4:3 pan & scan downconvert to SD video.

The footage looks great. I normally shoot with a Sony DSR-500 and have to film-look it. In comparing the footage from both cameras, there's just no substitute for a progressively scanned image.

If I were you, I'd get one of your school's HD100s and start shooting. I think you'll be surprised how good footage from this camera can be. :)

nateweaver
10-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Don't ask other people for an evaluation of the camera. For god's sake, you have free access to it, make your own decisions.

I think you'll find the "split problem" not to be a problem unless all you do is shoot doc stuff in the dark ALL the time.

Barry_Green
10-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Don't "fear" the split-screen issue -- just look at the footage. You may find it a non-issue.

If the HD100 works for your particular needs, it's a great little camera. As Nate said, just go look at it and see if it meets your needs. If you're doing controlled setups and have a CRT monitor on hand to view the footage, you should be able to light around the split-screen issue.

goldyprog
10-24-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm not sure how the DV5000 compares to the HD100 as far as sensitivity, but if you really want a look very close to film, the HD100 is the camera to shoot with. I shot with the camera for a day at the company I work for (gift and candy manufacturing.) I brought the footage into After Effects and did a 4:3 pan & scan downconvert to SD video.

The footage looks great. I normally shoot with a Sony DSR-500 and have to film-look it. In comparing the footage from both cameras, there's just no substitute for a progressively scanned image.

If I were you, I'd get one of your school's HD100s and start shooting. I think you'll be surprised how good footage from this camera can be. :)

Good Point. Filmlook-wise, I think this is a great camera for music video, especially with CU's of band members. Play around with the footage in post, and you can create a kick-ass music video that can contend with mv's on MTV.

I can't wait to do a music video with this camera in the future . . . when I get the chance.

nateweaver
10-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Good Point. Filmlook-wise, I think this is a great camera for music video, especially with CU's of band members. Play around with the footage in post, and you can create a kick-ass music video that can contend with mv's on MTV.

I can't wait to do a music video with this camera in the future . . . when I get the chance.

I'm doing one the week after next with the Mini35. I'll probably be posting pics and whatnot soon after.

adamr316
10-26-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll definitely play this this camera sometime soon.