PDA

View Full Version : DVX100B Exclusive First Test

Jarred Land
10-20-2005, 04:43 AM
Click here to read the full article (http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/100b/)

HorseFilms
10-20-2005, 06:15 AM
Thanks, guys! I'm loving the underscan LCD and viewfinder. Great job with the report.:thumbsup:

10-20-2005, 06:28 AM
Better signal to noise ratio? Maybe means that DVX100B is competitive in low light to the Sony PD170?

iposiniditos
10-20-2005, 06:42 AM
Thanks a lot for the article!

monkeyking
10-20-2005, 07:04 AM
You guys are fast! I just saw the 100B for the first time yesterday at a trade show near Wash. DC and you've already got a much more detailed report on your site. I could have stayed home and waited for your write up, but I would have missed holding the HVX prototype( bigger!, heavier!) as well as the free lunch.
Free show is still on today for anybody in DC area:

www.professionalproducts.com

Ought2bCommitted
10-20-2005, 07:39 AM
Great reporting guys! Didn't expect a hands on so fast!

-Robert

aw grasshopper
10-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Bummer at the loss of interval recording. That was the very first feature I used when I got my DVX100A. I used it to record the building of my pond over a three week period. If I understand the article correctly, it is not possible to set the camera up to record say 1.5 seconds every 10 minutes? Am I reading that correctly. If so, they should put this feature back in!

Grasshopper

icicle22
10-20-2005, 08:17 AM
I am going to assume that the 16x9 aspect ratio on the LCD compresses the data display also. Is that right? Guess I am secretly wishing that the data displayed in the "black bars" area instead of over the image.

Also....can you comment on the lack of noise in comparison to the XL2. I have a DVX100 and an XL2 and the DVX is significantly noisier in darker areas than the XL2. I'd consider upgrading to the 100B if it is much better. Another XL2 is not an option as I need a smaller handheld type camera.

Thanks!

Barry_Green
10-20-2005, 11:03 AM
If I understand the article correctly, it is not possible to set the camera up to record say 1.5 seconds every 10 minutes? Am I reading that correctly.
You are reading that correctly. It can still record 1.5-second bursts, but does not have the capability to automatically trigger those bursts every 10 minutes. It has the one-shot recording, but not the interval recording.

It would definitely be nice to have the interval recording still there, that's for sure. Don't know exactly why it's gone, but there's a new tape transport mechanism in there -- may have something to do with the lead removal, I don't really know.

Barry_Green
10-20-2005, 11:07 AM
I am going to assume that the 16x9 aspect ratio on the LCD compresses the data display also. Is that right?
You are correct, the data display gets squeezed as well.

Also....can you comment on the lack of noise in comparison to the XL2.
It's not as noise-free as the XL2. It's an improvement over the DVX100A, but not a night-and-day improvement.

NO CA$H
10-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Wow, those are some nice improvements.

My dvx100a contains...LEAD???

MovieSwede
10-20-2005, 12:33 PM
couldnt they use pixelshift to create true anamorfic picture?

Otherwise its seems like nice improvments.

DC
10-20-2005, 04:34 PM
What are the projected video noise level comparisons (especially in the blacks) between the DVX100B, HVX200 and XL2?

Thanks,

D~C

geffy
10-20-2005, 08:08 PM
http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/showthread.php?t=22527&highlight=geffy
shame the poll went on the revamp, must have been nine months ago, anyway interesting to see peoples pre comments on hdv panasonic and the new 100b, hee hee, glad i bought an xl2!

Rasquachemedia
10-21-2005, 12:54 AM
great article and great changes. I just got a new credit card, maybe i'll....

topologica
10-21-2005, 01:21 AM
That's a good shape!
I like this black color of LCD panel.
so...Money. :shocked:

topologica
10-21-2005, 01:25 AM
What a good job!
I like the panasonic's.
But that's all.
Only Dvx100 series.

TC
10-21-2005, 11:53 AM
My dvx100a contains...LEAD???Oh good, lead poisoning from too much shooting.

Barry_Green
10-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Oh good, lead poisoning from too much shooting.
Might explain the green tint of your new avatar? :cheesy:

Jarred Land
10-21-2005, 12:49 PM
Here is the official ways to get lead poisoning:

-putting hands or toys with lead dust on them or in their mouths.
-eating the lead paint chips that peel off the walls.
-chewing on window sills and door frames.
-licking your DVX's screen out of joy when you get "the shot"

taubkin
10-21-2005, 01:20 PM
Hey, very nice article. I laughed out loud with the "glitter" font for the article's banner, but sure made me want to check it out ASAP.

Underscan LCD rules! I can't believe that Panasonic is still trying to make the DVX even better. It must have been an enormous sucess for them. Well deserved, too...

Jun Tang
10-22-2005, 08:36 AM
Nice review Jarred,

I like the more resolution. To bad they can't flip image in the LCD or EVF....

Barry_Green
10-22-2005, 11:51 AM
It must have been an enormous sucess for them. Well deserved, too...
If I'm not mistaken, the DVX is far and away the most successful camcorder that Panasonic has ever released!

MattinSTL
10-23-2005, 01:14 PM
I'm one of the people who had a problem with my tripod socket... and I also made a comment a long while back about a deep, nearly black gray. I'm sure it wasn't anything I said, but it's cool to think so. I like my DVX more now then the day I got it... and that's really saying something.

Barry_Green
10-24-2005, 01:21 AM
Your comments probably did matter, yes. Jan made a point of telling us that many of the changes came about because of comments from users on this forum (and other forums, of course.)

bluestar
10-24-2005, 01:05 PM
i'm sorry having trouble finding the cost of this camera. I was deciding to wait and get the HXV, but this might be the better buy.

Barry_Green
10-24-2005, 01:18 PM
US marketing details haven't been announced yet. Should be forthcoming soon.

Mister Big
10-24-2005, 06:12 PM
Well, that's all well and good. I don't feel too bad for having bought a DVX100a a few weeks ago.

aerosolcheese
10-24-2005, 06:50 PM
if you squint it looks like a DVC-80

dvpixl
10-24-2005, 09:34 PM
what does it mean that the EVF and LCD's have full frame and not overscan? and on the panasonic site, "what you see is what you get"?

does it mean that what you see is closer to what you will see when output to an NTSC monitor? thus, more resolution on the lcd and evf?

icicle22
10-25-2005, 08:20 AM
what does it mean that the EVF and LCD's have full frame and not overscan? and on the panasonic site, "what you see is what you get"?

does it mean that what you see is closer to what you will see when output to an NTSC monitor? thus, more resolution on the lcd and evf?

I think both are referring to thte fact that you will see all of the frame. On exisiting consumer equipment there is a small area of the image on the edges that is not displayed.....and on most tv's you can;t see it either as it is beyond the viewable area. So you can frame your shots with confidence that if you can't see the boom microphone on the LCD you are not going to see it ib the final footage either. IN the past it might show up in that areathat you couldn't quite see.

A nice addition I think!

Flintstone
10-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Jarred, Barry, great job... as usual. :thumbsup:

Taylor Moore
10-25-2005, 02:20 PM
Excellent work guys....hopefully Barry your book will go out with all the NA models.

Barry_Green
10-25-2005, 02:40 PM
From your lips to Jan's ears! :)

Oleg 2
10-26-2005, 10:48 AM
what about the e to e , tape headphone monitoring function on the new camera
what happen while pb , does the camera forced to tape position or you have to change it manually .
does it happen on rca as well?
another one - i dont know about any camera which have of tape monitoring except analog beta sp ( bvv5 +bvw x00) , so the monitoring from the tape is not the right term . after a2d
conversion and back ,before it goes to tape.

loukreu
10-28-2005, 03:53 AM
When will this be available in Ireland and the UK?

marko5000
10-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Question about 16:9 letter box.

I too am in the UK so 16:9 is important. However is there any advantage at all in shooting this way as apposed to shooting a full picture and laying the bars over later?

I would love to be able to see a letterboxed image when shooting (For help framing) but to actually capture a full 4:3 image so I have more options later. Possibly this is possible already and I am a clueless gimp.

And yes I know I can take a straight razor to my LCD and score lines in it.

Just what are the display options on this cam?

Jun Tang
10-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Hey Barry or Jarred or Jan....

I might be wrong....but the "a" in DVX100a is "advance" right?

So is "b" in DVX100b stands for "Better?"

Barry_Green
10-28-2005, 01:22 PM
Well, in my opinion the "B" is "Better" in a lot of ways, so I'd go along with that notation!

As far as if there's any advantage to shooting squeeze vs. letterboxing in post: they're not the same thing. Letterboxing results in 4:3 video with a 16:9-shaped patch in it. Squeeze results in 16:9 video.

As to whether there's an advantage to letterboxing in-camera vs. letterboxing in post, yes, I've run some test shots that show there's milder compression and fewer compression artifacts when using letterboxing in-camera.

Kelly Olsen
10-28-2005, 04:58 PM
From your lips to Jan's ears! :)

I don't understand (but this is often the case). The Abel Cine web site lists the following extras with the DVX 100B:

"...And Barry Green's DVX Book and DVD - now inclues DVX100B features".

Barry, when you say "from your lips to Jan's ears", do you mean that your book and DVD are not included and you hope they will put your book in?

I hope you're just playing with us, cause I couldn't imagine having the camera without your book!

geffy
10-30-2005, 09:17 AM
"And yes I know I can take a straight razor to my LCD and score lines in it"
a very fine felt tip or black card mask is a little less drastic

marko5000
10-31-2005, 07:26 AM
I guess that could work too.

greeches
10-31-2005, 09:22 AM
mmmmmm, more delicious Panny improvements....

bilgami
10-31-2005, 08:22 PM
with the 100b coming out would the new features help the amorphic adaptor good for shooting weddings.

Jarred Land
10-31-2005, 08:29 PM
well yes, because you can view the correct aspect on the viewfinder without making everyone look 30lbs lighter.... although the bride probally likes the squeeze.

pencil_villian
11-01-2005, 03:54 AM
is the camera's (dvx100b) weight, thread size and physicals size the same as the dvx100a?

Andreas
11-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Does anyone know if there is a PAL version around, and if so is there a link with a brochure Thanks in advance

brandon_mc
11-03-2005, 02:53 AM
You are reading that correctly. It can still record 1.5-second bursts, but does not have the capability to automatically trigger those bursts every 10 minutes. It has the one-shot recording, but not the interval recording.

It would definitely be nice to have the interval recording still there, that's for sure. Don't know exactly why it's gone, but there's a new tape transport mechanism in there -- may have something to do with the lead removal, I don't really know.
I just looked at the Panasonic info page for the DVX100b (http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=94944&catGroupId=14571&modelNo=AG-DVX100B&surfModel=AG-DVX100B) and it says that the minimum interval recording time is every 15 seconds. It seems to me that the 100b does have interval recording. Does anybody know for sure?

Barry_Green
11-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Interesting that it says that. On the DVX100B we reviewed for the article, the option was definitely not there. I'm 99% sure that it's been eliminated on the DVX100B, but I'll ask Jan for clarification.

Niebs
11-03-2005, 03:02 PM
i wish they'd add an "image flip" feature for the dof adapters... maybe on the 100c?

atticus
11-08-2005, 12:06 PM
I've been trying to get a hold at someone at Panasonic to clear up the whole interval recording thing. Their website says "Interval recording time mninimum (sic) - every 15 seconds. One person I called said yes it still does interval and another said they dropped it. This is a key point in me buying this thing, if anyone figures out the real story here I'd love to know. Yeah I know I could just get the A-version but the B does have some nice improvements to it.

Jarred Land
11-08-2005, 12:08 PM
it does not have interval recording. I held the 100b, tried to do it, and its gone.

atticus
11-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Obviously I'm still learning a lot but what does this mean in relation to interval recording? "You can still do one-shot recording, but the camera doesn’t have an intervalometer to automatically re-trigger one-shot recording."
It was in the review by Barry and Jarred.
http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/100b/
I think it means it will do for example a 1 second etc. shot every time you hit record. Am I way off in understanding this? If this is the case what I'm thinking here is making an external battery powered motorized unit (vibration and sound insulated of coarse) that would actuate the record button in preset increments. Building stuff like that is actually more my thing, not shooting videos.
So if I do have that definition right of Barry and Jarred's review then does anyone know the preset one-shot times in the 100b? I'd need 1 to 3 seconds minimum for my applications.

Jarred Land
11-08-2005, 01:33 PM
yes.. it does do one shot recording, Barry should be able to tell you the recording times as i can't remember off the top of my head.

The entire transport of the B is different from the A and the original 100.. which is why the interval went by by.. the 100b is not just a cosmetic/firmware upgrade.. there is alot going on.

Barry_Green
11-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Jarred is correct on all counts. The tape transport was totally changed out, and in the process the transport door got much more rugged so the occasional tape tension error the DVX100 and DVX100A sometimes encountered should be forever gone.

But yes, absolutely unquestionably the interval recording feature is gone. Panasonic's website had (and at this time, still has) an error on it.

The DVX series had two features that worked together to do time lapse stuff. The first was one-shot recording, where the camera would record for a predetermined amount of time (like 1/2 second, or 1 second, or two seconds) every time the record button was pushed. The DVX100B still does this.

The second feature was an interval system that would automatically trigger recording. So you'd put the camera in one-shot mode, and then set the interval to trigger every 30 seconds or every minute or every 10 minutes or whatever, and the camera would automatically trigger itself to record (for however long the duration is that was set in the one-shot recording menu). This interval feature is the part that's not present in the 100B anymore.

If you were going to try to make something, I'd recommend making it activate the record button on the remote control; that would insulate the camera even further from being jostled when the button's pressed...

atticus
11-08-2005, 03:57 PM
Jarred & Barry, thanks for the insight! I'm still on the fence as to which one I'm going to grab. The suggestion to use the remote's record button for my homebuilt intervalometer was great, that would really simplify the design. It sounds like such a great camera, it's a shame they dropped what I wanted most.

Jarred Land
11-08-2005, 06:52 PM
yes.. and as the old school method of doing time lapse, which is great for short stuff like traffic etc.. is recording the whole thing in LP mode on a tape in realtime, then use velocity envelopes in your NLE to adjust the timing.. I like that method because you can have a little more control.

Candid
11-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Jarred,

In the article about the 100b you stated that there packaging the head cleaner tape instead of a 63min MQ. I just got my DVX100B from EVS and when me and Rush open the box to check out the camera. It came with a 63MQ tape instead of the cleaner? So is Panasonic still just giving the 63min MQ tape in the 100B package?

Candid

Jarred Land
11-11-2005, 03:38 PM
I saw this discrepancy in the info when i got it.. but I contacted Panasonic and they assured me that the cleaning tape would come with the 100b.. Maybe they changed their mind. What does it say in your 100b manual? it should have a contents list.

Candid
11-11-2005, 03:45 PM
It stated that it comes with the 63MQ Tape in the manual..... I'm bummed that it doesn't come with the cleaning tape....

Candid

Jarred Land
11-11-2005, 03:52 PM
yeah.. they pre-release version we got to test came with the Head Cleaner, but i think the package they sent may of just had the 100A accessory pack. A head cleaner is a good thing to have in my opinion as well instead of a tape, but its possible people abused it ( I have personally seen some pretty smart people that i saw run that tape for 2 minutes at a time) and caused premature head wear. The transport in the 100b is completely new from the 100a, so it Could be Panasonic's way of saying "take it to a pro to clean, these heads don't play nice with tape cleaners"

Instead of going and buying a cleaning tape.. i would suggest you buy a manual head cleaning kit ( the special swabs and fluid kits) and read here or elsewear detailed instructions how to swab your heads.. its so much better for your camera. Just be careful.

sugarquebe
11-21-2005, 06:46 PM
I just bought my DVX100B and I want to record 4:3 images, but shoot with 16:9 framing (just in case I need to crop in post). Would setting the aspect ration display to 16:9 and set the Aspect Conv (under Camera Setup in the menu) to Normal give me what I want??

Barry_Green
11-21-2005, 07:38 PM
No -- that'd just display the full 4:3 frame in a squashed-down aspect ratio.

To do what you want you'd have to use something like the ScreenSkins.

sugarquebe
11-21-2005, 07:51 PM
No -- that'd just display the full 4:3 frame in a squashed-down aspect ratio.

To do what you want you'd have to use something like the ScreenSkins.
What is that? Sorry... Can you provide me with a link or something?

Barry_Green
11-21-2005, 10:30 PM
I think EVS sells 'em; try calling Rush at EVSOnline and ask him about it. They're inexpensive transparent overlays for your LCD screen that give 16:9 or 1.85 markings.

Rush
11-21-2005, 10:48 PM
That'd be the SSDVX for $4.95.

rawfa
11-23-2005, 08:52 AM
I was checking out the ag-dvx100b at panas' website and read this:
-Audio off tape or live E-E for delay free (echo free) monitoring (menu choice)
-More sensitive on-camera microphone
Ag-dvx100 and Ag-dvx100A already had a very good sound system (comparable to a dat recorder, so I read in many reviews). Would this second option help you eliminate the echo when you're recording dialogs on a large room with the oncamera mic? How much better is this new sound system?

Thanks guys

P.S - Barry, I just saw your "10000 post video". Tha was hilarious! You should put some of those dance moves on the next dvx book hahaha ;-)

Shawn Murphy
11-24-2005, 07:31 PM
I think EVS sells 'em; try calling Rush at EVSOnline and ask him about it. They're inexpensive transparent overlays for your LCD screen that give 16:9 or 1.85 markings.

Yes, I bought them from EVS and there were two in the pack, I keep one on my LCD all the time, so now I shoot everything 4:3 and just use the overlay for visual framing if I intend to crop for 16:9 in post. Also, the overlay doesn't completely block out the top and bottom area, it's still visible but with a line on top and bottom separating the area. I also suspect that by using the overlay eventually I'll just get an eye for the 16:9 framing.

Karl151k
12-02-2005, 02:48 AM
Sorry if i missed it, but the gain doesnt offer a higher setting than +12db does it? I don't often need more than +3db, but for B&W shooting, I like excess noise.

Wildfire
12-13-2005, 11:14 AM
I am looking for a good low light capable camcorder for event photography. I will mainly be shooting weddings. So far I have been directed to the Sony PD170. Is the new Panasonic 100b capable of delivering a good picture under low light conditions like the PD170?

My budget is under $4,000.

I really appreciate your help.

Alvin:)

Rush
12-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Oh it sure does :thumbsup: The DVX 100A or B deliver a cleaner image under the same lighting conditions than the PD170. The PD170 under very low light is very noisy, whereas the 100B has a cleaner image even with 3dB gain.

Ruff_Futtidge
12-13-2005, 05:58 PM
No RUSH ! - I disagree. The PD170 is MUCH better than the DVX100A in very low lighting. It's the one quality I miss after the PD150 - Try them side by side and I think you'll agree. - Having said that , I still wouldn't swap my DVX100A !!

Jarred Land
12-13-2005, 06:00 PM
Ruff.. are you comparing the DVX100A in 24p mode vs. the 170 in 60i mode.. flip the DVX100 into 60i mode and you will see a world of difference.

Rush
12-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Dang it Jarred you beat me to it! :laugh: Ruff, I have done at least 15 side by sides for customers in a darkened lobby, and even went to studios with both cameras in tow to prove that point. Everytime, everyone agreed the DVX was cleaner and brighter, and bought DVX's.

Jarred Land
12-13-2005, 08:25 PM
ha ha ha sorry rush.. I gotta get one in there once in awhile. :)

Rush
12-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Sounds more legit comin' from you anyhow :laugh:
Everyone thinks I got to bed with a DVX under my pillow :grin:

Jarred Land
12-14-2005, 01:10 AM
Sounds more legit comin' from you anyhow :laugh:
Everyone thinks I got to bed with a DVX under my pillow :grin:

WAYY too much information ha ha ha.. I bet you stash all your tapes in your little wee-man fridge.

Rush
12-14-2005, 04:46 AM
That pea-size nickel-store fridge is a warrior, man :grin:

chris grieder
12-27-2005, 06:25 PM
does the fu11-frame feature mean that what you see on the 1cd/viewfinder, is exact1y what wi11 show up on the tv?? im not sure if thats what it meant.:huh:
sorry i had to use ones for my you-know-what-1etter..my u-know-what-1etter does not work

JohnDubya
01-11-2006, 08:53 PM
So I'm looking into getting one of these DVX-100B's. I'm new to the area of professional digital video cameras, so I'm trying to find the best deal for my money. I am an amateur videographer. I am looking into filming short films, weddings, pretty much anything I can. I am especially looking for a camera with 24p capability. Is this the best 24p camera for the value? Is there another camera out there that matches this one, or is the 100B the best all around? Do I need to consider other accessories, or is this thing ready to go out of the box? I really appreciate any help you may have. Thanks so much!

Sirius_Doggy
01-11-2006, 09:41 PM
So can you TC sync a 100B to a 100A?

Barry_Green
01-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Yes, the 100B can read the timecode from a 100A (or from any DV camera, really).

Matt Sconce
01-13-2006, 01:29 PM
This is awesome!

Matt Sconce
01-13-2006, 01:30 PM
I am definitely getting a DVX100B as my camera choice!

aymar
06-22-2006, 06:55 AM
Hi
The underscan in lcd it's one biggest advance, i hate when bumb microphone inside!
and you don't see when was shoting.
Thanks for your rewive.
Aymar

Bucknfl
07-19-2006, 01:38 PM
I just purchased a 100b and discovered that the zoom is much improved over the 100a. It's alot more smooth and responsive. This should be improvement #21.