PDA

View Full Version : Well it looks like I'll be shooting in Africa!!

MattC
10-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Just received the following email, after a harrowing round of grant applications and the like:

Hello Matt!!
Welcome to the Tostan family!! We would love to have you come to the declaration on November 12 to film. I would have XXX, who is a wonderful volunteer from France, stay with you on your whole trip in order to translate for you and assist you at the declaration. I'll be there also of course but she would be glad to really assist you. She has already been in Senegal twice, went home to get her Master's Degree and will be back in Senegal around the beginning of November. She has already been to the Fouta. It is about an 8 hours drive from Dakar! XXX's email is above so you could ask her any questions you might have. I am leaving for Kenya for one week on Friday so will not be here. I will receive emails so you can continue to write.
Warm greetings, Molly

I'm so stoked I can't even tell you! I'm sure I will be having a ton of questions. Right now my first concern is figuring out hot to get my gear their along with me, what I値l bring, power requirements, safety issues, where I値l be staying, where I値l be filming, etc. Any information anyone can send me pertaining to those issues would be greatly appreciated.

So much to do. This will only be the first trip of many, but still it seems like this has just been happening very quickly. No matter how much you prepare, and we've been preparing for months, when it gets to it, it seems like there is so much to do!!

Wish me luck,

Matt

Ought2bCommitted
10-19-2005, 12:07 PM
WOW!!! Congrats! Have a safe trip from the Island of Misfit toys!

-Robert

MattC
10-19-2005, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I have to get a shot for Yellow Fever and Malaria Pills. My only wish is that I already had an HVX!!!!! Well, the XL2 will have to do for now....

Jeremy Ordan
10-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Dude! Just read this post and congrats. That is awesome. You are certainly going to have an incredible experience, and I'd be lying a whole bunch if I didn't admit that I'm jealous.
I've only been to North Africa and the Middle East so there is no heads up I can offer other than to take plenty of pictures. It will be a blast!

David G. Smith
10-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Veeeerrrryyyy cool. Have a safe trip. Post some footage when you get back.

BTW, what electrical standard in Africa, 60hz, or 50 hz, 110-120 volts or 240 volts? You gotta charge your batteries, right?

pmark23
10-19-2005, 07:33 PM
You'll have a blast. I liked such projects so much that I moved overseas permanently.

The DVX charger is multi-voltage -- is the Canon charger the same?

You'll need:

-A few extra batteries (I use only one battery a day, so two is enough for me).
-12V inverter with lighter socket AND battery clamps -- just in case.
-Tapes (one or two per day -- it takes me a day to fill a tape, unless doing interviews.)
-Reflectors (at least two), preferably with stands unless you're sure you'll have people to hold them for you.
-Backups of flimsy stuff that can break, like lavs and connectors.
-Senegal is 230V, so if your lighting is 110V then...
-A LOT of Immodium. Think 8-10 per day. Trust me on this!
-Don't be tempted to take a lot of gear with you. You'll regret lugging it around and worrying about it.
-Always have someone with you, preferably two (like a driver and a translator) to keep you out of trouble (especially trouble with the police.)