PDA

View Full Version : Do you need to use the same look for indoor and outdoor shots?

kat.hayes
05-15-2018, 04:58 PM
I'm very new to color grading, and was just watching a movie that had lots of blues in the shdaows and orange for the highlights while indoors, though outdoors it seemed like the look was warm, and I did not see any blues in the shadows if they were there.

So this had me wondering, to create cohesive look for a movie, generally, if you use a look for indoor shots, such as the blues and orange look, should this be continued to the outdoor shots also?

Thanks.

NorBro
05-15-2018, 05:28 PM
My opinion is it depends on the creative direction of what you're working on...but I don't think most people would even notice unless it's an extreme difference.

Most of the time indoor and outdoor scenes are going to look different anyway and a different grade indoors wouldn't be as much of a jolt as cutting day scenes with a different look (especially at the same location/same time of the day), or vice-versa.

Josh Bass
05-15-2018, 06:00 PM
Im no expert but generally the idea (I think) is that a show or movie will have a stylistic unity/consistency througout even if there are variations WITHIN that unity...perhaps we always have a specific contrasty desaturated look even if the color tints change scene to scene. That kind of thing.

karma17
05-24-2018, 08:02 PM
It really depends on your story. If it is some future dystopia like Blade Runner, then the atomospherics and coloring will probably be the same unless, in the story, they change to a new location. Take Soylent Green. Same kind of thing. If the scene changes drastically, then I think people expect the "look" to change. But if the scene or locale is the same, then you'd expect some connection or consistency between them. If it is a smoke-filled hellhole outside, then you wouldn't expect much difference inside, unless the interior location was disconnected somehow from the exterior.