PDA

View Full Version : cheap 33 point 3D LUT box for your suite

starcentral
04-12-2018, 07:12 AM
I just bought this 6G SDI to HDMI mini converter from Blackmagic design for only $185 USD which allows loading two 33 point 3D LUTs and will convert 4K SDI to 4K HDMI, and even down convert 4K to HD.

http://www.hingsberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/30441492_10155187888427027_9163742046651940864_o-300x300.jpg

I intend on using this on-set for adding Rec709 LUT to slog feed from SDI out of my cameras and running to large TV/monitor with HDMI input. Then when I'm not on-set I'll use this in my suite the same way to run SDI to a large TV and can use the LUT capability to load a calibration LUT so that the large screen is accurate.

I thought more people ought to know about this great BMD box because it means for editing or coloring suites you can add a cost effective way to bring more accuracy to your monitoring solution. For those interested I highlight 5 uses for this amazing little box http://www.hingsberg.com/2018/04/sdi-6g-to-hdmi-4k-from-bmd/

Greg_E
04-12-2018, 07:39 AM
That is interesting, good idea to allow user created LUTS to be embedded into these converters.

starcentral
04-30-2018, 04:27 AM
They have an HDMI to SDI version as well for $40 less, although that is probably not as useful for the one taking SDI 6G to HDMI.

CharlesPapert
04-30-2018, 11:47 AM
Hi Dennis, I tried this out a few months ago in my system to replace the FSI Box I/O (which was 17 point when used in dual mode for two cameras). I found that the Blackmagics regularly "blinked out", quick cutouts to the signal, so I had to pull them back out again. Tried to return to B&H but it turns out the velcro I put on the back pulled off the serials and they wouldn't take them. Ugh!

In addition, I thought the USB interface software for loading LUT's was terrible. Two slots but no indication which LUT is active at the time--and switching is only available via dipswitches on the unit (that should be controllable through this software in my opinion). Also, if you are using more than one unit you can swipe between them in the software--but there is no indication of which unit is which otherwise (the manual indicates that there should be capability to let you title the units, but that's not in the actual software at this time).

I love the idea of these especially as a VERY overdue replacement for the HDLinks (although without Livegrade capability) but, not ready for primetime as far as my experience.

CharlesPapert
04-30-2018, 11:49 AM
Actually I now see there is an April update to the converter software, so, time to try again to see if they have fixed any of the above.

Eric Darling
02-02-2019, 09:01 AM
Charles, did you get anywhere with new software updates to this product? Trying to feed a Jib from a PXW-Z280 running SLOG3 in the field, and jib op only has an old Panasonic monitor without LUT capability. I wish the Z280 had an output LUT option, but alas, it doesn't.

Greg_E
02-02-2019, 10:42 AM
Could the blinking be cause by heat? I've had a few of the older converters do this to me in our studio (SDI to HDMI) and found that the larger heavy duty converters didn't have problems like this. They got so hot that you could not touch them for more than a few seconds.