PDA

View Full Version : 99.9% RGB, still need minitor calibrator (Spyder 5)?

DDirector
03-11-2018, 09:13 AM
I've been noticing that the colors on my monitors ain't that great. I think I want to get a monitor that's 2K resolution, and has 99.9% RGB coverage. This sounds great for editing and color grading my photos and videos.

BUT, even though it's 99.9% RGB, would I still need to get a monitor color calibration device (Spyder 5pro)?

Monitor: BenQ PD3200Q PD

starcentral
03-11-2018, 10:19 AM
Hey Michael,

If you want to come visit next time you're in my area you can bring your computer and current monitor over and we can calibrate it with the spyderpro if you want and you can see the "before" and "after" for yourself if you like. I've been using spyder pro for the past 5 years and swear by it for checking (and keeping) your sanity when you are not sure about your true colors.

I know people throw hate on the sypderpro but i've found it to work quite well and have calibrated a wide range of low quality and high quality monitors with it. I've also colored quite a few short films that later had screened at Carlton cinemas & Bloor Cinemas in Toronto and the color was true to what I had been setting in my home studio.

I since moved up to a proper color accurate broadcast quality monitor (Flanders Scientific) and surprisingly found it to match very well to the lower end monitors I regularly calibrate with the datacolor spyder pro system.

The BenQ monitor you mention claims to be "technicolor certified" whatever that means but you would still want some way to calibrate it properly. As for percentage of RGB claimed by manufacturers, this number just means the percentage of the full RGB color space the monitor can display, it doesn't mean it's accurate so again, you still need someway to calibrate it.

DDirector
03-11-2018, 10:35 AM
That sounds great! Will do

My monitor isn't that great, but comparing it to my laptop, I can see big differences. But, I think that an upgrade to the monitor would be a good choice anyways.

CF01
03-11-2018, 10:43 AM
This monitor is actually factory calibrated(at least for it's sRGB mode) and comes with a report. Personally, I would use that and not bother with trying to do another calibration of your own right away unless you really know what you are doing. Every studio I've been to that has had a spyder or similar on a workstation has had noticeably messed up colors. Not saying you can't get good results, but I think you are more likely to go backwards if you try to improve on what the factory has done.

Imamacuser
03-11-2018, 12:32 PM
You could also check your local rental houses for Colorimeters, or Spectrometers that are compatible with DisplayCal (https://displaycal.net/#instruments).