PDA

View Full Version : Flanders CM171 for grading

Paul Cronin
01-05-2018, 01:25 PM
I am looking for a monitor to use with my Mac Pro (Trash Can, powered up), and BM box while grading SLOG2/3, and other footage in Davinci Resolve 14.2 Studio. From the searching I have done the Flanders CM171 looks like a good deal. I have also looked at the Sony PVMA170 OLED, but at $1,200 more is the OLED worth it? Adding some production gear and working to get max gear for the budget.

Be nice to have input from people who have graded on both if possible. Thanks

Paul Cronin
01-08-2018, 06:09 AM
I have also found a used Sony OLED 1741A that is the same price as Flanders.

Paul Cronin
01-16-2018, 11:10 AM
I am going with the Flanders CM171 new. That way I get a calibrated monitor with great picture/features, and can be calibrated yearly by Abel in NYC. Just thought I would close this out.

markfpv
01-16-2018, 08:35 PM
Paul - not 100% sure if that's the same Flanders model that was client monitor on a shoot I did fairly recently. If so - I agree great picture & features. My only complaint was that the Flanders that day had a slight lag being fed sdi from FS7. Probably not an issue if only using for grading - but for live viewing talent on camera - I found it quite distracting.

Paul Cronin
01-17-2018, 05:23 AM
HI Mark,

Thanks for the response. Glad you agree the picture is nice and it will only be used for grading. I thought I might bring it on the road at times, but I will buy a smaller monitor for those shoots. This will be just for Davinci Resolve Studio 14.2 grading. Tired of using a TV with BM box and not being spot on, so this is the first step. At some point I will go 25" OLED Flanders but not this year.

starcentral
01-21-2018, 11:45 AM
Hi Paul,

I've been using the CM171 for a while now for grading work in Davinci combined with the decklink mini monitor 4K card. For me it works great and I love the color calibration process compared to the hassles of all the other solutions I had been looking into.

I colored quite a few projects now that I've had a chance to also see screen in theatres and am so far happy and confident about the colors I see on the CM171 and what ends up on screen. No surprises and that's what I like.

I know its a bit on the smaller end of things but at the right distance it works perfectly. My plan is to get a 4K TV as a client display monitor, the LG C7 is quite impressive.

Paul Cronin
01-29-2018, 04:27 AM
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the feedback. I have now had it for three days of grading an agree it is a great monitor. Close enough 17" works fine for me at this time.

Did a couple of test and wow, so nice to know what I am seeing is accurate. Run it through a BM UltraStudio 4K w/TB2. Also adding a 4K TV for clients and editing while in PP CC.

Money well spent.