PDA

View Full Version : Selling a educational license of my Documentary

Pierre Le Blanc
09-18-2017, 04:27 AM
Hi, I usually won't be asking this but this is a very unusual request I had, I recently finished an hour documentary that now I'm trying to get some distribution I expend about $25K from my pocket plus all the hour of work that are not included in that amount.

A interactive learning centre recently contact me to buy an "educational license" of the film to have it display in their centre. they are willing to pay for it but I have not idea how much to charge for such license. Any Clue or help will be appreciated.

HKB
09-18-2017, 06:30 AM
I would check "like projects" to see what they would charge or feel them out for their budget. You will probably be disappointed. Regardless, what they will pay, which probably won't be anything close to your investment you will be selling yourself short for other distribution markets that would be willing to pay much more. The big buyers usually have exclusive agreements and don't like prior distribution. It sounds like your cart is before the horse in this deal.

Greg_E
09-18-2017, 10:37 AM
Some of these things go for a lot more money than you might imagine, often the inverse of what you would expect where some licenses for education are more than normal public performance rights. But I've also seen some things listed as practically free for educational display (performance). Depending on the music that you may have in the program, you might be able to let them deal with the performance rights of the music on their own license, this could save them a bunch of money and allow you to give them a big discount.