PDA

View Full Version : Best $1,000-$1,500 (ish) 32" 4K monitor?

filmguy123
08-04-2017, 10:41 PM
Need something high quality, color accurate, for 8-bit sRGB delivery. Strong panel uniformity, strong color accuracy (low delta error), accurate gamma, etc. I don't need Adobe RGB, don't have a true 10-bit pipeline (no quadro/workstation card) but I may add one in the future, and most of the best panels seem to be 10-bit wide gamut (adobe RGB) anyhow.

One concern is that if everything at 4k is sort of a half-baked implementation of Rec.2020/HDR right now, is it wise to invest in that technology today, or better to just get a really quality sRGB 32" 4k monitor and upgrade again in a few years once the implementation is better? I have no expectation to be working in Rec.2020 HDR in the next 3 years, but I'm all about "future proofing" if today's implementation is good at this price point.

I've been leaning towards the Asus ProArt 32" model, here for either $995 or $1249:

Asus PA328q:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YWD9ZZM/ref=twister_B01HTLUVRE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

VS the $250 more expensive model which includes DIC-P3 and Rec. 2020 and 14-bit LUT

Asus PA329q
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F6D1ITM/ref=twister_B01HTLUVRE?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Thinking to just go with the better version (PA329q) with all the bells and whistles, unless it's a waste of money long term (Again, doubt I will take advantage of DIC-P3, Rec2020, HDR, etc. in the next 3 years or so, and if that implementation is half-baked, why spend more?).

Any other models I should be considering instead, over the ASUS? Ezio is out of the question price wise of course, but there's the Dell, HP, LG panels I have heard about. Why might I prefer that OVER this Asus?

(PS - I own the X-rite i1 Display Pro color calibrator)

filmguy123
08-15-2017, 02:24 PM
No feedback? If not then I think I am going to settle on the ASUS PA329Q. I like their menu interfaces, it seems to have all the bells & whistles, I already have another ASUS monitor so it matches better, and it's one of the newer panels VS the older Dell, etc.

starcentral
08-21-2017, 05:09 AM
not sure if you've bought it yet, but from what I know about the professional non-grading monitors, many are not true 10-bit, some have no LUT capability required for calibration, and many lack the low display capability of 0.05 nits.

If none of it matters to you, then all is well. But for $1500 you could keep your eye out for a used CM171 Flanders monitor and never worry about these things again. You'll need a BMD decklink studio card (I got the 4K one for future) but that's it. No calibration software, no wands, nothing. Just pure color and an image you can count and rely on.

Also one thing to really compare amongst any of the "cheaper" pro monitors is the viewing angle. This matters if you plan to have clients sitting with you and you are splitting the view of the monitor. This limitation disgusted me with some of the pro monitors and why I eventually ended up biting the bullet and going for a flanders.

Also, look for reviews and comments on LiftGammaGain forums for any specific monitors you are considering.

good luck with your choice!

Grug
08-21-2017, 05:38 AM
I fairly recently picked up the Asus PA329Q, and it's pretty superb. Certainly the best monitor I've ever owned by a fair margin. Colour and uniformity are superb, and its factory calibrated SRGB mode matches my calibrated reference monitor pretty much perfectly.

My only real complaint is that you can't really use it in its full 4k glory - at any reasonable viewing distance, text and U/I simply becomes too small to read. So I have mine scaled to about 2560x1440.

I can happily recommend it.

James0b57
08-21-2017, 08:16 PM
Is there no 4K text size adjustment in the computer settings?

Grug
08-21-2017, 09:20 PM
Is there no 4K text size adjustment in the computer settings?

No, on Mac you have to do some weird button pressing combination to unlock proper downscaling from the 4k resolution (otherwise everything gets horribly jagged).

TheDingo
08-22-2017, 08:37 AM
But for $1500 you could keep your eye out for a used CM171 Flanders monitor and never worry about these things again.

Just out of curiosity, can a monitor like this be used for HDR work, or do you need something that can put out 1000 NITS or more ?

On the chance that HDR production becomes a bigger thing over the next few years, I would not want to invest in a monitor that can't be used for HDR work.

starcentral
08-22-2017, 09:39 AM
The CM171 can't be used for HDR technically. Having said that, Flanders Scientific have released firmware for their existing DM series line which allows previewing & monitoring of HDR signals using current display technology. They've done this through a variety of methods including support for HLG, ST2084 clipping at approximately 300nits, and ST2084 with a highlight roll.

They caution however this is meant more as a cost effective way to monitor and not so much for mastering HDR.

Back to the CM171 I said "technically" because although NO it doesn't support HDR, what you might be able to do is load a slog3 to HLG LUT in the monitor or by loading it in Davinci output LUT.

BrianMurphy
12-02-2017, 05:57 PM
kicking this thread up for a question. I went monitor hunting this past week for a reasonable editing monitor and after lots of reading decided on the LG 31MU97Z-B only to find out it is no longer available and there does not seem to be an upgrade or equal on the market. This monitor seemed to have all the things I was looking for in an editing monitor for a reasonable price. Any suggestions appreciated.

Cary Knoop
12-02-2017, 07:02 PM
I would wait a couple of months as large screen (32 and up) prosumer HDR monitors are not quite there yet quality wise.

Also for 4k@60 10bit 4:4:4 you need DisplayPort 1.3 or above or you would have to wait for HDMI 2.1.

BrianMurphy
12-02-2017, 07:30 PM
Thanks Cary, good advice.

filmguy123
12-12-2017, 11:07 AM
I've been happy with the ProArt Asus PA329q 32" 4K I picked up. I got it along with the I1 xRite calibrator. For web delivery video, it's more than enough. Good display, good controls.

I agree with Cary, but I couldn't wait that long, and my needs don't dictate true 10-bit cinema pipelines, 4:4:4, etc.

iunknown
12-12-2017, 12:23 PM
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/professional-series/pe0

jc01108
12-15-2017, 06:19 AM
Has anyone used the BenQ PV3200PT 32" 4K Post Production Monitor? Specs look decent. price: $1299
-10-bit 100-percent sRGB based on Rec. 709
-14-bit 3D Look Up Table (LUT