PDA

View Full Version : No Split Screen... However.

Stu
10-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Finally received our HD101E last week :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: .

Mentioned in my last posts (months ago) that I have kept in close contact with our dealer and JVC Pro UK. I have to admit that when the box arrived at the studio we all looked at one another with in-trepidation.

Well no matter how hard we tried with all kinds of low lighting set ups we could not get this camera to split screen at any setting or dead pixels (well there was a little anomaly under really silly conditions). So it looks like they have sorted the problem and you folks who have been unfortunate enough to get the first batch of these units with problems should get it replaced. I was told by both our dealer and JVC UK that in the highly unlikely event that the camera had a split screen problem or dead pixels they would replace it at their expense immediately.

OK.... so far so good but here is the "However" bit.... :cry:

The camera started to not record to tape in any of the SD settings, then it did, then it didn't and so on.... after a couple of calls with JVC technical they said return it. Our dealer acted without hesitation and has couriered us a new camera while picking up the other.... will be here tomorrow.

With the limited testing we were able to do.... this really is a nice little chap, we have purchased the IDX battery kit for it... very nice... really well worth the money. We will continue our extensive tests on Wednesday before the camera is used for a broadcast production - but all the signs are most positive... as for the lens - we think its pretty good for the money and will not be a problem for us.

I would really like to thank those who take the trouble and time to host this site as it has been very informative and in point of fact I told JVC UK that it was here that I first heard about the HD10O/101 and that they should not knock the forums, or at least the sensible ones. Also a big thank you to those who share their experiences, it has helped to keep myself informed and to keep my dealer on his toes. I am sorry to read of those who have been let down by a faulty unit or poor after sales service, it does leave a bad taste in the mouth, however those in that situation really need to consult JVC/Dealer about this and get it sorted.

For those thinking of a purchase, go and try one out.... it really is a super little camera, and like any other tool it really comes down to... does it do what you need it to do, never mind what other folks think.

Thanks all.... Stu (Scotland)

mmm
10-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the info Stu, I hope your next camera is perfect.

Speaking to JVC UK, they seemed very confident that the split-screen in no longer an issue, let's hope it hasn't been replaced by others!

Huiy Tang
10-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Any HD100 in the UK should be relatively defect free. I"m glad you have a dealer who is working for you. The HD100's in North America on the other hand...There's no telling.

Flotsam
10-10-2005, 04:31 PM
My camera has no SSE and no dead pixels - unlike the demo unit. I agree that the IDX batteries are a good idea as the supplied batteries are as much use as a chocolate teapot.

So far, the results from the camera have been superb for the money - a huge improvement on my DVX100 even in SD (flame suit on).

brianluce
10-10-2005, 08:13 PM
And so...the HD100 rallies off the ropes! a left! a right! another left! and Frazier goes down!!

dashwood
10-10-2005, 10:18 PM
My camera has no SSE and no dead pixels - unlike the demo unit. I agree that the IDX batteries are a good idea as the supplied batteries are as much use as a chocolate teapot.

So far, the results from the camera have been superb for the money - a huge improvement on my DVX100 even in SD (flame suit on).

Tony,

Have you checked your firmware version? Are you still observing MPEG artifacts in DV mode?

Tim

_MR_
10-10-2005, 10:19 PM
The camera may have gone into auto standby mode. When it goes into standby there can be quite a delay before it winds up and begins recording.

If it's not that, then definately get it looked at.

nateweaver
10-10-2005, 11:09 PM
a huge improvement on my DVX100 even in SD (flame suit on).

I agree. For that reason and it's ergonomic improvements alone it's worth the $5500.

Flotsam
10-11-2005, 03:36 AM
Tony,

Have you checked your firmware version? Are you still observing MPEG artifacts in DV mode?

Tim

I just checked the firmware version. It's 1.17. So far, I have not had any problem with MPEG artefacts in DV mode. I think the theory that the demo unit wasn't switching from MPEG2 SD mode to DV is correct. i am going to shoot a little more this afternoon and then examine all the footage properly in one of the Symphony suites, so I'll know more then.

Best

Tony

Danrose2
10-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Well, according to credible folks in JVC, the HD100 U.S. launch was delayed for the benefit of most-current firmware, with each camera undergoing 100% local pre-delivery engineering qualification.

Mr. Tang, I couldn't help notice other contributors in this string are politely ignoring your nonsense. By what possible means can any of us presume to be an authority on U.K. product quality? Respectfully, you come across as a rather implausible amateur on a soapbox or, perhaps more likely, a manufacturer shill. Whatever your reality, respectfully, you're wearing thin for some of us.

Stu
10-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Well folks we have got our replacement camera and I am sad to have to report that while the camera is working in every way - it has a split screen effect in certain lighting conditions.... :cry: :cry:

The replacement camera had a serial number that was only 3 figures ahead so it was from the same new batch. I have to say that the effect was not nearly as bad as some of the stuff I have seen from some of the posters here, but enough for us to reject it.

Our dealer was very good... they confirmed that our first camera is doing strange things they have not come across before (oh dear! :huh: ) and they made it clear that they would get things sorted out for us.... in their words... "don't worry we will look after you and will get this sorted out" and we are confident they will. It is important to say that they have buyers who are very pleased and do not appear to be having any problems.

What's our reaction, okay we are now really behind schedule and one of the directors is chewing my ear, but we really like a lot of things about this little critter and as I said before, given the tests we have done with both cameras we are looking forward to using it, and we are prepared to work with our dealer to get things worked out.

Once again, those of you thinking of a purchase, choose your dealer with care and openly discuss the issues surrounding the camera and how the dealer will respond should there be a problem.

Stu....... :beer:

Eurotrash
10-13-2005, 08:27 AM
This is really bad news, it probably means that the rumour about UK SSE-free cams is, wel er... just a rumour.

Mediacre
10-13-2005, 03:20 PM
Our dealer was very good... they confirmed that our first camera is doing strange things they have not come across before (

Like what?

Stu
10-13-2005, 05:56 PM
When we tried to record to tape in SD modes (recorded fine in HDV okay) the camera kept going into warning mode and gave the message to turn off power and restart later (or words to that effect) - we tried various things to see if this would clear but it would not... The next morning it started to record okay then it stopped, then it was okay ... then it stopped. then the screen would go black and lines would run up the screen, and so on. When it was returned to the dealer they contacted me to say that yes the camera was doing these things and that they were looking into it. Hope this makes sense, its late and I'm of to bed.

Stu...

Mediacre
10-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Thanks.

Flotsam
10-15-2005, 04:31 PM
Once again, those of you thinking of a purchase, choose your dealer with care and openly discuss the issues surrounding the camera and how the dealer will respond should there be a problem.

Stu....... :beer:

This is good advice. I chose my dealer very carefully and all is well. I know that - had I received a defective unit - things would have been resolved without hassle. When you get a good camera, it's a real knock-out so choose your supplier carefully!