PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Used Camera

GaryinCalifornia
06-30-2017, 01:57 PM
Didn't know where to put this question.

Just wondering has anyone purchased a used camera from one of the major sellers. For example they're asking 6k. Just wondering what would happen if you offered $5,750?

Jim Feeley
06-30-2017, 03:28 PM
By major seller, do you mean some big box house like B&H? Sure, make an offer. Last time I was in their store (um, 15 years ago) I haggled a lower price on some used stuff. Can't hurt to ask.
Maybe offer $5500...if they say no, see what they respond with, then try $5600. Or ask them to toss in an extended warranty or something...

I bought a used camera last year, but then sent it to the manufacturer for some work (I factored the cost of repair and downtime w/o the camera into my purchase price and it all worked out). That, however, was buying a camera from someone I knew. And I was OK with not having a long warranty....in that instance...

Anyway, that's my take. Good luck!

GaryinCalifornia
06-30-2017, 05:30 PM
Thanks Jim. That's what I was thinking.

NorBro
07-01-2017, 11:46 AM
I am a negotiation-communication master. Sometimes no means no, but there has never been a better time to pay less for used AND brand new equipment.

Many items are extremely overpriced. There is ALWAYS a better price than the MSRP somewhere. You have to find the right place willing to do business. (I'm not talking about haggling with fellow users via eBay, CL, etc).

Definitely offer your $5750, but remember they may (if they do) come back with a minor discount. Again, sometimes people don't budge, but I would offer $5500-$5600 to get the camera closer to $5800.

It really depends on the item and the business.

GaryinCalifornia
07-01-2017, 12:07 PM
I'm going to try. But they closed early on friday, and probably won't be open until the 5th...

Looking at getting the Atomos Shogun too...

NorBro
07-01-2017, 12:14 PM
Sounds like a good combo :laugh: