PDA

View Full Version : Color grade changing after uploading to youtube?

Bongos121
05-26-2017, 04:32 PM
Hey guys, I'm in some need of much needed help.
I have a music video shot on red that looks great in premiere and watching on my desktop. The problem is, after uploading to youtube im getting extremely bad banding as well as a major color shift. Im not expert in export settings so maybe its obvious but I haven't been able to find a solution.
My export settings are as follows:

format: quicktime
video codec: proress 422
3240x2700 (its anamorphic)
23.976fps progressive
16-bpc

Im not sure if im missing anything but I've included a still from my export on my desktop next to the youtube uploaded version. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Bongos121
05-26-2017, 04:34 PM
also, heres a video clip where you can see how bad the banding is when uploaded - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TvWrIow_04

starcentral
05-27-2017, 04:11 AM
I've read stuff on this ranging from video card drivers, to video card drivers.

In one case I specifically know with nVideo drivers it had the option to select video or data levels so this could be messing up what you think you see but what actually gets rendered out of your system. I've never ever had color shifts from premiere on PC or MAC so this has to be your computer color profile, video card, or codec settings on export..

I suggest you google color or gamma shift from premiere etc.. and you might be lucky and stumble across something that applies to you.

Bruce Watson
05-27-2017, 10:14 AM
The problem is, after uploading to youtube im getting extremely bad banding as well as a major color shift.

I am quite sure that YouTube is transcoding anything you upload to it into YouTube's internal format(s). They do this because they like their compression better (it costs them money to store your files, so they compress them more), and because they can optimize playing the video their way. Both these things are going to exaggerate the artifacts you are seeing -- banding due to lower bitrates, and color shift due to lower chroma subsampling (they aren't going to keep your files at 4:2:2). You'll likely see some extra black crushing and high value clipping as well, not to mention more macro-blocking during pans and tilts.

The alternatives are sites like Vemeo which at least used to claim that they do less of this than YouTube, but I've not seen any evidence that this is true (or any evidence that it's *not* true either). Then there's blu-ray and 4k blu-ray. Really, burning your own discs is the only way you can control what's actually recorded, and by extension what the baseline is for people to view your vids.

Derek Chingwell
05-27-2017, 10:38 AM
A quick suggestion - don't render out to Quicktime.

Test another output format, and compression method... I think you'll get better results.

Are you working on a RAW timeline?