PDA

View Full Version : taking footage from a dvd and putting it in a format premiere understands

c.g._eads
10-08-2005, 12:56 AM
i'm putting together a financial package that includes a test scene from the movie I plan to make that was shot on video - to show them the tone of the film. Because I'm going to investors that don't have a lot of experience in the filmmaking business, I want to make it clear that the finished film will have a more professional 'look'. The Geoge Washington DVD (good movie btw) has a short 'preparation' film for George Washington that was shot on video. I'd like to use a clip from that short and a clip from the movie, to demonstrate the leap in quality my finished film will be making. But I don't know any easy way (or any way at all) to get that footage from the DVD to a useable video format. Anybody know a way to do this that doens't take 14 steps and 8 different programs?

Backlot Rebels
10-08-2005, 09:59 AM
You need a program that will convert a VOB file into an AVI or something else that premiere would understand. I had to do this when I was editing a buddy's demo reel for him. It's a pain in the ass, and takes a long time. There's a number of programs to do this, basically just google VOB to AVI converter. The one that I used was called ImTOO DVD Ripper. It worked great, but takes a really long time. It's a pretty straight forward program.

Hope that helps!

Andrew Brinkhaus
10-08-2005, 12:14 PM
You could play the DVD on your TV, plug in RCA to your cam, then record the footage, import into premiere, and your done.

Shooter
10-08-2005, 02:11 PM
Not being negative here but...

Investors are unlikely to have any interest in the image quality comparison. Just ensure that what ever you show them is professional. It is unlikely that you will even have any control over what they view your presentation on and the monitor could be wildly mis adjusted.

It can be dissapointing what they base their judgements & decisions on.

Sell them on the story, your talent and showthen them how they will make a buck.

Good luck.

Averdahl
10-09-2005, 02:04 AM
If you have Premiere Pro MainConcept MPEG Pro is a plug-in that allows you to edit mpeg- and VOB-files in Premiere Pro. (Imo version 1.0.5 is better than the current version, 1.0.6.)

http://www.mainconcept.com/mpeg_pro.shtml

/Roger