PDA

View Full Version : First time directing. Am I insane?

Droog
10-07-2005, 01:46 PM
Ok, so I ramping up for my first attempt at directing. Its a 48 hour film challenge, and I really hope that I am not crazy for picking this time to do it. I have been doing sound for several years now, been honing my lighting and shooting skills for the past year or so and have been on a lot of shoots, both high budget and low. So I am familiar and comfortable on sets however I am getting nervous and would appreciate any pointers, even the blaringly obvious are welcome.

Fortunately, I know and have worked with everyone on my crew. The down side is that I am also the youngest, but everyone is excited to be involved so I assume they trust me. I am really not too concerned about the technical, I think we have it covered well. Its the protocol of being Director that spooks me. My biggest fear is that I won't be able to express my self or I am going to be too aloof. I trust everyone to do there jobs I don't anticipate being a control freak, but I really want to make the day and get what we need to make this thing happen.

OK I'll stop. I know people post up like this, but any pointers would be awesome. If you think I am crazy to take on a 48 hour project let me know what to look out for. This will be my 3rd film challenge, but doing sound sure as hell is not directing.

Thanks everybody!

uhrgl
10-07-2005, 01:51 PM
You're probably a little insane, but go for it! It may not always be fun, but it will be good for you.

Are you doing the NFC?

khmuse
10-07-2005, 01:57 PM
I agree, you are insane and absolutely go for it. I was on a 48Hour film challenge back in June as gaffer/key grip/second unit DP. It was a lot of fun and a real experience pulling it together.

Have fun!

Cheesesailor77
10-07-2005, 02:03 PM
yeah dude, you have way more experience than most of the ppl here. I have no on set experience and have only made a couple student projects, but i keep "directing" any projects I can come up with or find. You are way more prepared then we are, go for it!

Droog
10-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks guys. I guess I am comfortable being a bit crazy, but you gotta take the plunge sometime. Yes, it is the NFC. We have a tight little crew, and I definately think this will be good for me. That is mostly why I am doing it, plus I want to see if I get the directing bug, maybe I could be good at. Some one with a lot more experiance than I, told me that everyone should try directing at least once, good for character if nothing else :grin:

I will post my experiances when its all said and done.

ericyoung
10-08-2005, 03:58 AM
When it's all getting panicky, stop, step back, take some deep breaths for ten, reevaluate and reprioritise what needs doing by whom, and jump back in!
:thumbsup:

Noel Evans
10-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Treat everyone with respect even if your telling them to go and gf ... add please.

Backlot Rebels
10-15-2005, 01:09 AM
Yes, you are insane. Anyone who directs or makes a movie is insane. That's what gets us through it.

Droog
10-15-2005, 01:15 PM
A week to go. I think I have all my ducks in a row. In fact, going to shoot some test footage tomorrow and check out some locations. Feeling more confident.

Thanks everybody, I'll tell my tale afterward.

Droog
10-18-2005, 05:22 PM
1st lesson learned: Find someone to help produce. Shouldering a lot this week. Thats fine, but it would be in the best interest of the film to split the load with another. No big deal. Sally forth.

dudeguy37
10-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I'm doing the NFC this weekend too and fighting the same uphill battles. I think were gonna end up winging a lot of stuff cause I have 4 tests, a math project, history project and 2 essays due this week so finding time to get my shit together is near impossible. Anyway, good luck.

Peace,
-Harry

Droog
10-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Yeah, I'm doing the NFC this weekend too and fighting the same uphill battles. I think were gonna end up winging a lot of stuff cause I have 4 tests, a math project, history project and 2 essays due this week so finding time to get my shit together is near impossible. Anyway, good luck.

Peace,
-Harry

Thanks, you too. Sorry bout the school load. I would be in bad shape if I did not have a flexible job.

P!body
10-20-2005, 09:22 PM
School does put a cramp on film stuff. Sometimes, I'm ridiculously close to leaving grad school to just jump into the blender that is this industry.

You sound like you are holding up pretty good. I just wanted to wish you luck.

Droog
10-21-2005, 11:47 AM
School does put a cramp on film stuff. Sometimes, I'm ridiculously close to leaving grad school to just jump into the blender that is this industry.

You sound like you are holding up pretty good. I just wanted to wish you luck.

Thanks alot!

Today is the day. Almost 7 hours untill assignment. Exciting.

Droog
10-26-2005, 11:01 AM
Well it was a success. Maybe one of the longest weekends ever, still feeling the effects of the lack of sleep. Well here are the Cliff's notes:

Friday night, got our assignment. Comedy. I already had a concept, we went with it. Sent runners for props and such.

Later Friday night, struggling to right script and finalize ideas.

3:30 AM, Went to sleep my writer stayed up writing.

6:30 AM Up and at em. Script is still non existent, but an outline is ready.

7:30 AM Began shooting.

2:00 PM Lunch, wanted to do it sooner but we had to finish a scene.

12:00 AM Sunday wrap shooting. Relax for a few.

2:00 AM Sleep

10:00 Begin Post production

12:00 PM Monday end post. Ship via Fed Ex.

I had a great time. My crew kicked ass. I think we got a great short, even with out a script, mostly improv any way. We shot with two DVX's. Edited with AVID.
Lots of dolly shots, lots of micro-jib action!

The bad thing was that we over shot. Had to edit alot to make the 8 minutes. No worries though, we are making the "full" version for our selves, fests and such.

I can pretty easily say that I got the directing bug. Got to do it some more to see if I got what it takes to be good. I encourage everyone to try it at least once. The film challange was a great trial by fire.

If we get this thing on the net I will definatley post a link.

More than happy to give more details if anybody is curious.

Phil Gerke

yagfxg33k
10-27-2005, 07:53 AM
Congrats on the finished film! You have now done what so MANY just talk about doing.

I encourage everyone to try it at least once.

I agree. Directing on the set is the most fun I have had in a hell of a long time!

Mythfit
10-27-2005, 09:36 AM
Awsome, glad it worked out, good luck!

masada1903
12-01-2005, 09:48 PM
I think you have to be crazy in order to be a director of any kind. It's a prerequisite of sorts. :-)

Droog
12-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Alright, well our short made it to the finals. Pretty exciting for me. If you guys want to check it out here is the top 15, "On Earth" is mine. Came together alright, though we did over shoot and making the 8 minute edit was tough. Tell me what you think, check the others too, there are some cool shorts.

http://filmchallenge.org/2005films/vote.php

araujofh
01-03-2006, 07:19 AM
You are insane if you don't go for it. Just go for it man, cause we are all insane.

GraBird
01-03-2006, 03:08 PM
The ONLY difference between those who succeed and those who fail is that the successful person took a first step, while the failure is STILL waiting for everything to be perfect before doing anything.

That's it.

You will NEVER be 100% ready for anything. NO ONE ever is.

Taking no action is worse than failing, because you haven't learned a thing.

Good luck! Above all, ENJOY IT. Have fun. Keep a smile on your face and everything else will work out.

Chance White
01-03-2006, 09:03 PM
The ONLY difference between those who succeed and those who fail is that the successful person took a first step, while the failure is STILL waiting for everything to be perfect before doing anything.

GraBird, these are your words? I'm going to put them up in my workspace. I hope you don't mind. So so true and important to remember even once you've made the leap, to keep pushing yourself and not getting hung up on things because they are never perfect.

P!body
01-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Go for it man. Be a little crazy.

Blaine
01-13-2006, 08:29 PM

That's it.

You will NEVER be 100% ready for anything. NO ONE ever is.

Taking no action is worse than failing, because you haven't learned a thing.

Good luck! Above all, ENJOY IT. Have fun. Keep a smile on your face and everything else will work out.

I'm with Chance on this one. That is one of the most motivating things I've read. It should be above the computer of anyone who wants to write a script or make a movie. I've often paraphrased this to other but never so succinctly. I've come back to read it twice and finally decided just to save myself some trouble and cut and paste it to my computer.

the_fusionist
01-14-2006, 09:54 PM
I think your concerning yourself with the finished product too much. Take it step by step and frame by frame. Whenever your ass is on the line your bound to fret. You may feel you will disappoint others or waste their time and resources. Just relax; if it;s in you, you can do it. If not, then now you know. If your worried going into it, you may have made a mistake, but sometimes you will find that you're not percieving the thing as it really exists.

I usually make notations in my script of whatever comes to my mind. You can never remember everything so don't try to. I have a basic formula that usually brings things back to me, otherwise I get complicated and confuse myself. To be a director, you have to have a great understanding of yourself and others. When you don't know just ask yourself how it makes you feel. Hit record and let's roll.

Bimsalabim
03-05-2006, 06:35 AM
Hey I'm just starting this director position in a music video production...its going tough, considering the fact is that my producer wants to assume the position of the director. While during production he tries to embarrass me in front of the talent and crew. I only ignored him but should I have done more?
Have any of you film-makers come across producers this annoying?
today we are shooting an outside scene, but after reveiwing tapes, we probably need to reshoot the inside scenes again. (shaky camera)

RafaelFC
03-05-2006, 07:30 PM
yay! go for it! directing rocks.

well, the only thing I can really say from my experience is, study your ass off of the material, learn why you chose the shots you chose and why would they fit where you put them, you need to have a good answer for everyone really, from producers to actors. Never act as if you are improvising on the spot even if you are.
the thing that most directors forget is that you have to EARN the confidence from everyone. Treat everyone in the production (from grips to producers) with the utmost respect, make they feel like they're all doing the right things (the famous "yeah you're doing it great, but do it more like this..." line comes to mind).

other than that, have great fun, and never let other people speak for you, there are polite and elegant ways of reclaiming your place, in time you'll have no problem whatsoever with that, cause people will look for you to run the show.

best of luck in all your projects