PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for soccer program promotional video

peterlaurie
10-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Hi,

I am putting together a promotional video for my towns soccer program, and I was wondering if anyone has some good ideas on how to proceed. I do already have several interviews lined up, and I have a lot of shots of all the soccer games, refs as well as some practice shots.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Peter

galt
10-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Who is the audience?
What is the message?
What is the delivery medium?
How long will it be?

Once all that is said...
Who are you planning to interview so far?

Andrew Brinkhaus
10-08-2005, 02:29 PM
It will ultimately depend on the message of the piece, everything depends on that in terms of shots, interviews, music, etc.

peterlaurie
10-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Sorry, I should have given more detail to begin with.

The audience is mainly the children in the town that have thought about signing up for soccer but are reluctant to do so. And the parents of those children as well.

The message is that it's fun, educational & socially healthy

The delivery medium if I understand the question, is the local network cable station

And I'm looking at a half hour show. that will run continuously throughout the winter & into the spring.

I am planning on interviewing:
The President of the town leauge- to give a brief historical backgroubd on the Town sport....such as how long it's been around, how many are involved & when the seasons are.

Some older players & younger players & parents and volunteers.

Thanks for your help

galt
10-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Sounds good. "Why I wanna be a soccer mom...."

A half hour sounds awfully long, but maybe you really have lots of local soccer tradition to talk about? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Check with national or world organizations to see if they have footage or similar programs you can borrow from. Famous World Cup player interviews would be cool. So would some footage from around the world of children playing soccer in various countries, or foootage from an Olympic game.. Shows the diversity/know-your-neighbor aspect of a worldwide sport, as well as the global opportunties. Don't forget to give equal time to women, and to girls who play on boys teams as appropriate.

Is this a paid project? Do you have a dollar or time budget?

Gotta make the graphics & compositing cool to get kids attention. Same with music.

If it is going to run for several months, you may want to try for some extra footage or interviews, so you can edit 2-4 segments with some of it being the same and some new stuff. Keeps people on their toes.

Josh_Boelter
10-11-2005, 07:50 AM
Is there an MLS team nearby? Perhaps you could interview some MLS players as well. Back when I was playing youth soccer, the NASL was in business and even though most people didn't care about professional soccer, it was exciting for us kids to go see the Detroit Express play, and it got us more interested in practicing. If not MLS, maybe a top-tier university program?

peterlaurie
10-12-2005, 09:30 AM
That's a fantastic idea. We do have the N.E. Revolution which is 20 minutes from my home. I will call them.

Any other ideas. This will work well so far.

As a side note, we also just recently had our referee coordinator pass away, and I took over his position. Should I incorporate that into the film at all?

galt
10-12-2005, 11:50 AM
As a side note, we also just recently had our referee coordinator pass away, and I took over his position. Should I incorporate that into the film at all?
You mean like a post-mortem tribute to him? I don't see that it has any value to recruitment to new children. But if it does, sure. Don't confuse your message though.

peterlaurie
10-14-2005, 07:20 AM
You mean like a post-mortem tribute to him? I don't see that it has any value to recruitment to new children. But if it does, sure. Don't confuse your message though.
You're right, that would really take away from my message.

Should I format it as a news story or more like a documentary? :thumbup: :thumbdown I may want it to run for more than one season.

As you can probably tell I am an armature at this, but I do put together some nice material. I just want to make certain I am capturing the interest of the audience for them to come back and watch it again, and to get out by word of mouth.

galt
10-14-2005, 07:38 AM
Should I format it as a news story or more like a documentary? :thumbup: :thumbdown I may want it to run for more than one season.

As you can probably tell I am an armature at this, but I do put together some nice material. I just want to make certain I am capturing the interest of the audience for them to come back and watch it again, and to get out by word of mouth.

Audience and message affects everything. If I was a kid, I wouldn't watch a documentary (as I envision them), and I would only watch a news story (maybe) if it was oriented to kids (think Nickelodeon). Musics Videos. Kids interviews. COOL Animation. If you have kids, think about what they watch. Maybe give some kids a camera and see what they come up with.

galt
10-14-2005, 07:38 AM
And I do want to say one more time that 30 minutes is just tremendously long.

peterlaurie
10-14-2005, 08:46 AM
I can agree with that statement. I will look more torwards 10-15

DVX100Shooter
11-17-2005, 02:21 PM
I would go out and get a ton of footage from various games across your town. A lot of it is going to be how your project is edited. Whats your target audience. If your trying to target teens and young adults I would shoot in a MTVish type of way. There are several options to go about doing this. You could have an intro that showcases the program in whole which would be like a music video with lots of cool shots and graphics. Then you could start weaving in some of the interviews maybe picture in picture so you see them but you still see the soccer action. I would shoot the interviews on the soccer field or off with the field and players in the background.

You could shoot it like a news story if you wanted. It would be just like a 2-3 minute feature on your towns soccer program. A documentary, you would want to dig deeper in your research and provide more information than you would a news type story. A promotional video you can add all the elements into one thought.

There is a company down in VA called Metro Video and they did a promo video for a soccer progam in Williamsburg, VA a few years ago. I was blown away with how well it was put together. They used Jib cranes and everything!