PDA

View Full Version : 27-34" GUI monitor recommendations for Davinci?

Grug
01-28-2017, 04:45 AM
Hi guys,

I'm moving from a 27" iMac over to a Mac Pro 5,1 and need a GUI monitor to replace what the iMac's screen did for me. The screen on the iMac has been an absolute delight to work with, so I'd like to find a replacement that matches up to the experience if possible.

I'm looking for something between 27-34", and preferably not a 4k screen as I'd rather the processing power of the computer goes into processing, rather than running a higher-res screen than I have any need for.

I'm open to different options (super-wide screens, or curved screens if they're worthwhile having). But the thing I'm most concerned about is having a really nice GUI screen for Resolve (and to a lesser extent FCPX and Premiere).

Any suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

filmguy123
02-08-2017, 11:47 AM
I am also looking for a good monitor so would be curious about this (BTW, what is a "GUI" monitor)? Was looking for something with great color. 27" is ideal, 4K is nice but actually be a downside for some performance applications for me so I am open to either 2400x1500-ish resolution or a full 4K.

I am also coming from an Apple monitor (2009/2010 24" Apple Cinema Display) so would want something that is an upgrade in terms of color display and quality from that, but it doesn't need to be a top of the food chain $2K perfect pro monitor.

This seems to be one of the better options I had found: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012UNOCJY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

But to be honest I don't really know exactly what I am looking for (or why), so any help here would be appreciated!

Don't want to hijack thread only add to it, as our questions and situations appeared nearly identical.

Grug
02-14-2017, 10:33 PM
'GUI' stands for General User Interface. Basically means your regular monitor (as distinct from your 'reference' monitor). I struggled to pick out one that seemed best suited to my needs, but in the end settled for the one with the least complaints of the options out there. I went for the 32" Asus PA329Q (4k, Quantum Dot, IPS) in the end.

It was the priciest of the options I looked at, but it's pretty damned exquisite (as far as monitors go at least). The extra real estate of the 32" screen is delightful as well - for the first time the preview windows and timelines in my software don't feel cramped or cluttered.