PDA

View Full Version : GL2 or DVX?

Vampiresoup
10-05-2005, 04:05 PM
I was wondering if people on this site could give me some advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm basically just looking for people who've used both the GL2 and the DVX100. I'm trying to decide whether or not it's worth spending the extra money on the DVX100.
I have no production company and no other editing equipment other than an ibook and access to FCP. I'm not a cinematographer however I'm not a complete novice either. I know what an Fstop is, how to whitebalance, how to use FCP, etc.
I guess my real question is this, should I just stick with the GL2 if all I want to do is shoot short films with next to no equipment? (I'm talking a mic taped to a broom handle and a 1K light) I LOVE the 24p idea but with my limited budget would I be better off just spending the money I'd save buying a GL2 on other equip for my shoots?

Anyhow. Enough ramblings. Thanks again.

Andy

Hectorxd
10-07-2005, 08:46 AM
get a job, save your money, get a DVX

HDCinema25
10-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Since this is a DVX forum, everyone here(including me) are going to say "buy a DVX."

Kev

Tim Miller
10-07-2005, 10:35 AM
I have used both, I have owned both at some time, I would HIGHLY recommend getting the dvx for numerous reasons. If you wait long enough, the dvx100a (especially just the dvx100) price will be dropping with the introduction of the hvx. Don't get me wrong GL2 is a good camera, one of my good friends also has one, but he would also agree that the DVX is the way to go! I can give you a list of reasons, but the image that is produce by both (and the support for both that you can find, such as on dvxuser) should speak for the dvx alone.

uhrgl
10-07-2005, 10:50 AM
I've used both. I used the DVX first, and later the GL2 seemed like a toy in comparison.

Vampiresoup
10-08-2005, 08:59 AM
Hey thanks guys. I know this is a DVX forum, and would be biased toward the DVX. The footage off this site is what made me start thinking about getting the DVX. Some of the shots are great.

Oh and would you know when the new cameras are coming out so I could perhaps pick up the DVX100A for cheaper price?

Oh and I have a job ;) I'm just a cheapass.

Andrew Brinkhaus
10-08-2005, 12:11 PM
hehe, this thread is funny. Its like asking, "should I buy a stick of cheese, or the whole brick?"

Jeremy Ordan
10-08-2005, 05:58 PM
I need to travel cross country in three days, should I get a tricycle or a sports car?

Like others have said, you're on a DVX forum. The differences are massive, professional audio inputs, 24p, but most importantly it is a product that if you buy you wont be wishing you had bought the other...

Tibby
10-09-2005, 12:52 AM
This is kind of a no-brainer. For the extra dough you are getting your moneys worth. To be fair the glass(lens) in the GL2 is really nice.