PDA

View Full Version : Color Finale Pro Users?

markfpv
09-27-2016, 10:32 AM
Hello. Wondering if there are any other early adapters out there who have updated to the "Pro" version of Color Finale for FCPX?
If so, care to elaborate on how the update went for you, what OS you are currently running and if you had any issues opening existing projects that you graded with earlier versions? Or did all grades instantly transfer over for you in the Pro version?

Looks like some great new tools in there... just want to avoid any problems on on-going projects before I update.
Thanks in advance for any input.

dmitrizigany
09-27-2016, 11:35 AM
I updated to the Pro version.
Update went smooth (following the instruction video from Denver).
I'm on Sierra... Although during the installation process you remove the old version, in FCPX after installing, there's now two versions "Color Finale" and "Color Finale Pro". Assuming old project would open using the non pro version then. But haven't opened any old projects that used Color Finale. Seems to be working fine so far, but haven't used it much since installing.

patrickbaldwin
09-27-2016, 01:35 PM
I updated to the Pro version.
Update went smooth (following the instruction video from Denver).
I'm on Sierra... Although during the installation process you remove the old version, in FCPX after installing, there's now two versions "Color Finale" and "Color Finale Pro". Assuming old project would open using the non pro version then. But haven't opened any old projects that used Color Finale. Seems to be working fine so far, but haven't used it much since installing.
Exactly the same here except I am on Yosemite.

TheTrickster
09-27-2016, 02:06 PM
Installed on my Sierra station. Some lovely features. Love the new WB pickers for whites, mids and blacks.
My ripple will be here tomorrow so hoping that will really show the additional features also.

my only gripe is the limited colour checkers (only the video passport) that you can use for auto matching. Would love it if the older McBeth chart was included.

markfpv
09-27-2016, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys for responding. I'm on El Capitan... and will upgrade to Sierra soon, once I finish a project. I think I like the fact it keeps the old one in the effects panel (I assume ?)... since that likely means any project I graded a few months ago - will maintain as it was.

"my only gripe is the limited colour checkers (only the video passport) that you can use for auto matching. Would love it if the older McBeth chart was included."
Agree with this - although I thought I remember Denver saying that additional charts would be added later??

NorBro
09-27-2016, 04:49 PM
When CF was first released, Denver sent out an e-mail asking for suggestions/feature recommendations.

The software was super buggy back then but I'm assuming it's much better now.

Did they ever implement an undo command? That was a major issue I had with it.

Kohl
09-27-2016, 05:22 PM
When CF was first released, Denver sent out an e-mail asking for suggestions/feature recommendations.

The software was super buggy back then but I'm assuming it's much better now.

Did they ever implement an undo command? That was a major issue I had with it.

Maxed rMBP 2014. El Capitan. Early Adopter. Upgraded to Pro. Upgrade smooth.

Just tried to Command + Z Undo in a Color Finale Window in FCPX and...big crash. Ended up rebooting my system. Now FCPX won't open. Most curious.

Will try to figure out what's going on and advise.

Kohl
09-27-2016, 06:10 PM
Ended up doing reinstall of FCPX and Color Finale. Something was still funky, but FCPX finally ended up reopening. So, to state the obvious, I'll avoid Undo in Color Finale.

After getting dialed in with Resolve, I don't really use it much anymore. Just simple curves and white balance on very short projects, but beyond that...Resolve.

NorBro
09-27-2016, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Yea, I never used it too much back then, but not having undo was just ludicrous.

Kohl
09-27-2016, 06:33 PM
Yeah man. No bueno. Really like the idea of it but compared to a dedicated grading program, the workflow gets clunky fast.

dmitrizigany
09-28-2016, 05:15 AM
Thanks guys for responding. I'm on El Capitan... and will upgrade to Sierra soon, once I finish a project.
I would wait until there's an update to FCPX. I'm experiencing some really annoying bugs. But not serious enough for my lazy self to roll back to El Cap. Had I known about them before, or discovered them sooner I wouldn't have upgraded to Sierra.

AndreeOnline
09-28-2016, 06:12 AM
I would wait until there's an update to FCPX. I'm experiencing some really annoying bugs. But not serious enough for my lazy self to roll back to El Cap. Had I known about them before, or discovered them sooner I wouldn't have upgraded to Sierra.

I'm on Sierra with no issues. What problems do you have?

slavikb
09-29-2016, 12:07 AM
I wish there was some attention paid to the plain ol' LUT Utility. It stopped working for me after upgrading to El Capitan for the new FCPX. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Anyone use other LUT plugins for FCPX?

TheTrickster
09-29-2016, 12:08 AM
I'm using LUTx (Free) from CoreMelt.

markfpv
09-29-2016, 06:15 AM
After getting dialed in with Resolve, I don't really use it much anymore. Just simple curves and white balance on very short projects, but beyond that...Resolve.
I am getting better / faster with Resolve as well. But I like having both options and deploy whichever suits the type of project I'm working on. (initially it was simply turn-around time, since I was new to Resolve and could get good results much quicker using CF.) With the introduction to CF Pro, I'm excited to try out the ACES workflow. And some of the other new features seem like great benefits too.

markfpv
09-29-2016, 06:18 AM
Anyone use other LUT plugins for FCPX?
I have mLut from MotionVFX... and thought it was ok - but then switched early on to Color Finale and never use it anymore.

slavikb
09-29-2016, 12:08 PM
I'm using LUTx (Free) from CoreMelt.

Thanks for the tip! Just downloaded and it's working great.

Nirv
10-04-2016, 04:30 PM
Yeah man. No bueno. Really like the idea of it but compared to a dedicated grading program, the workflow gets clunky fast.

Horses for courses, Color Finale doesn't market itself as a Resolve competitor but as someone living in the real world of fast turn around work with limited time I use CF for nearly all of our work and combined with TrackX I can quickly tackle more challenging corrections. The performance in FCPX with 4k is stunning and I can grade with a client over my shoulder with titles and gfx all in context without resorting to round-tripping with Resolve. For everyday work it's far more efficient than Resolve.

I've been using CFP solidly for a few hours now and in that time it has been very stable. The ACES support is very welcome and gets you pretty close in the one correction with the exposure slider. Using ACES I seem to be able to do stronger corrections without the images getting noisy so I wonder if the internal precision has been improved?

Undo works fine for me, no issues to report on that. One slight annoying bug is having to turn off Colour Management then turn it on again to adjust the exposure, temp and tint controls.

If you've got CF you'd be a fool not to upgrade to CFP.

William
10-04-2016, 06:54 PM
Horses for courses, Color Finale doesn't market itself as a Resolve competitor but as someone living in the real world of fast turn around work with limited time I use CF for nearly all of our work and combined with TrackX I can quickly tackle more challenging corrections. The performance in FCPX with 4k is stunning and I can grade with a client over my shoulder with titles and gfx all in context without resorting to round-tripping with Resolve. For everyday work it's far more efficient than Resolve.

+1
Yep... smooth sailing here... with El Capitan. No round tripping! All is working just fine. Color Finale Pro with Core Melt is a great combo.

scaus
10-06-2016, 12:42 PM
The biggest pain with Color Finale is that it crops one or two pixels around the edges of every clip it is applied to (sometimes very slightly revealing the clip underneath if stacked). This is something that I discovered after numerous final projects were sent off to clients. I'm hoping that the Pro version fixes this problem.

markfpv
10-07-2016, 10:55 AM
Nirv - just been playing a bit this morning with CFP - and I completely agree "The ACES support gets you pretty close in the one correction with the exposure slider". I normally rate my FS7 at 800 or 1000 and testing out some old footage - with one click and then offsetting the exposure... seems the need for LUTs is gone...
Is your understanding of ACES this -- that you can simply change your output to the correct display method -- and you shouldn't have to tweaked any of the other settings to then output for different display?

Nirv
10-08-2016, 04:27 AM
Is your understanding of ACES this -- that you can simply change your output to the correct display method -- and you shouldn't have to tweaked any of the other settings to then output for different display?

That is pretty much my understanding too.

I've been shooting some test charts and other 'difficult' coloured objects and the results are night and day comparing the previous LUT workflow to the new ACES colour management. I've been blown away by how accurate the colours are, it feels as much like a camera upgrade as it does a software one. With the limited WB in CineEI it's great to have the Temperature slide to quickly tweak the image, it just saves loads of time.

My CineEI Gain setting are 2000, 1000 & 500 so I've created a Preset for each 'rating' and just drag and drop from the Color Finale Effects browser area and you're already in the right ballpark. I've deleted all my old CF presets based on LUTs, as you say, there's little need now. I suspect Denver and Co will add more Camera targets as time goes by for easier matching of brands etc.

It's the best $50 I've spent in a very long time.

Nirv
10-08-2016, 09:34 AM
The biggest pain with Color Finale is that it crops one or two pixels around the edges of every clip it is applied to (sometimes very slightly revealing the clip underneath if stacked). This is something that I discovered after numerous final projects were sent off to clients. I'm hoping that the Pro version fixes this problem.

I tested this and as far as I can see Color Final Pro doesn't crop the image, but I did discover that the Letterbox effect does crop by a couple of pixels as you've noticed.

rmsarver
10-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Anyone having problems with ACES and SLOG3 footage. I shoot SLOG3/CINE EI on my FS7 and the ACES setting makes the image super contrasty......overly crushes blacks. This isn't just a preference thing of not liking the look...it is obviously pushing the image way farther than it should. I contacted support with supporting images and all I got was "I guess this is Cine mode which is different to SLog3". I explained it is indeed SLOG3 but I never got another response.

Nirv
10-12-2016, 07:50 AM
Anyone having problems with ACES and SLOG3 footage. I shoot SLOG3/CINE EI on my FS7 and the ACES setting makes the image super contrasty......overly crushes blacks. This isn't just a preference thing of not liking the look...it is obviously pushing the image way farther than it should. I contacted support with supporting images and all I got was "I guess this is Cine mode which is different to SLog3". I explained it is indeed SLOG3 but I never got another response.

I don't know if it's a bug per se but no data has been crushed or clipped so lifting the blacks and bringing the whites down gets you into the right area.

It seems to be worst on clips with most dynamic range.

Maybe I'll have a go reporting this and see if more reports help.

Edit.

I've tried the same clips in Resolve and it produces the exact same contrasty image. It must be the ACES maths and at least CFP is consistent with Resolve.

Murph100
12-03-2016, 02:29 AM
Hi Guys, I've been trying CFP, like it a lot. Just a quick question, when I hook up my Eizo CG277 with a BMD Ultrastudio TB Mini Monitor, I only get a picture/signal on playback, not when grading on a paused clip. Resolve works great with the same setup, showing all my moves in realtime on the external screen, so is this just an FCPX limitation when using an A/V out ? ... or am I missing something really obvious ?

Dermot
12-03-2016, 09:21 AM

ACES v1.03 has a few revised IDT's for some Sony camera's, but i have not had a chance to look a them, but it might be worth a second look if / when the software you are using supports 1.03

Dermot
12-03-2016, 09:26 AM
I don't know if it's a bug per se but no data has been crushed or clipped so lifting the blacks and bringing the whites down gets you into the right area.

It seems to be worst on clips with most dynamic range.

Maybe I'll have a go reporting this and see if more reports help.

Edit.

I've tried the same clips in Resolve and it produces the exact same contrasty image. It must be the ACES maths and at least CFP is consistent with Resolve.
data wil never be crushed or clipped in ACES, i use film style gradeing tools to normilise an image, using exposure / contrast / pivot / saturation in Baselight, or the same tools (with diffrent names) in Nucoda and Resolve.

And maybe try ACEScct if your software supports ACES v1.03, the toe is much softer, easier to use tradtional LGG controls

Michael Thames
12-03-2016, 10:00 AM
How would you guys rate CF against Magic Giant Coloristra? Coloristra is only $50 more. I'm looking at both of these.