PDA

View Full Version : JVC LS300 for narrative filmmaking?

Mike@AF
09-14-2016, 11:18 PM
I have been considering the JVC LS300 for some time. It's really between the Ursa Mini 4.6K and the LS300. I'm very concerned about the image quality, reliability and QC issues with the Ursa Mini (FPN, magenta, crosshatching, black lines, audio, etc), so am reluctant to go that route. And at about half the price the LS300 is very attractive.

I would mainly be using it for narrative projects (shorts, commercials, music videos, maybe even a micro-budget feature). The problem is that it seems very rare that anyone is shooting with the LS300 in narrative situations, so I don't really know what to expect. I can only find 3 shorts online, the 2 Heist shorts and another. And no reviews about using the LS300 in narrative shooting.

I'm sure the LS300 is great in documentary and corporate situations as I've seen plenty examples of those. But I think narrative situations can push a camera to different extremes and in different ways than a documentary or corporate shoot can, especially when doing grading and VFX work in post.

Does anyone have any narrative projects shot with the LS300 that they could point me to view? It would be a great help in my decision-making. And any feedback and reports of your experiences of shooting with the LS300 in narrative projects would be helpful as well. Thank you.

jdv
10-11-2016, 04:16 PM
I have been considering the JVC LS300 for some time. It's really between the Ursa Mini 4.6K and the LS300. I'm very concerned about the image quality, reliability and QC issues with the Ursa Mini (FPN, magenta, crosshatching, black lines, audio, etc), so am reluctant to go that route. And at about half the price the LS300 is very attractive.

Does anyone have any narrative projects shot with the LS300 that they could point me to view? It would be a great help in my decision-making. And any feedback and reports of your experiences of shooting with the LS300 in narrative projects would be helpful as well. Thank you.

Yeah Mike, I'm in the same boat at you - can't justify $5750 for FS5, and I hate using a still camera as movie camera. Nothing that I can find so far on youtube that shows off the LS300 as a narrative cam...

So I'll second your call for footage or viewpoints on the LS300.