PDA

View Full Version : Remote control app: iOs? Android? Let 'em know what you want

Barry_Green
09-12-2016, 11:41 AM
As you may know, the DVX200 (and the forthcoming UX180, etc) can use a remote-control app called the R.O.P. Currently that app is only available for Apple iOs devices. I would like to gather some opinions as to what our typical DVXUser would prefer -- do you need the Android version? Are you satisfied with just the iOs version? Gimme some feedback and I'll send it to the factory.

Vardalos
09-12-2016, 11:58 AM
Android version would be great.

mapper65
09-12-2016, 01:04 PM
I prefer Apple but I can understand non Apple users wanting the app on their device of choice

Excalibur
09-12-2016, 01:09 PM
Android version would be excellent! Please bear in mind, that Android has approx 80% marketshare worldwide (yes I know its 86% and includes the cheap smartphone line up too). But there are many Android and Windows Tablet users (like me) and therefore a R.O.P. for both (or all three) platforms is of course the best. Because:
I work in the Windows and Android universe...
Thank you.

Vaughan Wood
09-12-2016, 05:12 PM
Android user here.

Cheers,

Vaughan

Bruce Watson
09-12-2016, 05:50 PM
Are you really telling me that Panasonic is telling 80%+ of its potential DVX200 customers that the camera doesn't come with a remote control, but they can buy one for an additional $600+ USD? Has Panasonic lost it's little corporate mind?

I mean really -- if Samsung sold you a TV and told you if you wanted a remote you could buy one for another $600 USD, would you do it? Or would you buy a competing TV that came with a remote and was therefore $600 USD cheaper?

Said another way, to me it looks like the DVX200 doesn't have any remote control features at all. Because if I can't access them, they don't exist.

Ron Evans
09-12-2016, 08:08 PM
I am currently a Sony camera user but am interested in getting the UX180 or the HC-X1 also a Windows and Android ( phone and tablet ) user with no Apple products at all. I would like to see an Android version of the App.

Paul F
09-12-2016, 08:48 PM
This is a no-brainer that Panasonic can figure out with somewhere between 5 minutes and 4 hours of research depending on how market sensitive they want to be.

Look at Android and iPhone global shipments and you can see what needs to be done. If global figures aren't market sensitive enough, then the numbers are available by market as well. Oh sure, one could think that camera operators side to one phone technology over the other, but given that global shipments are 2:1, just do it.

2015 global shipments
iPhone - 304 million units
Android - 700 million units

The fun fact for nerds like me is that means that somewhere on this globe they are making about 4 million phones per business day. It boggles the mind.

pancam
09-13-2016, 01:31 AM
I do not mind, ios or Android, never mind
main Support for multiple USB stick
which are available in Europe
(not only ASUS USB N 53B!!!)

thank you

jay_broken_doll
09-13-2016, 02:25 AM
Android please!!!!!!!!!!!

rerdmann
09-13-2016, 04:56 AM
For me it is not a question of the manufacturer. For me, as a one man Filmcrew, itís a question of the size! The iPad is to big for my pocket. An iPhone would be great. A small anroid device would be great also.

Barry_Green
09-13-2016, 10:40 AM
Android has approx 80% marketshare worldwide
Yes, but that doesn't mean that Android has 80% of the marketshare of DVX200 users who want a remote app. The two are not related. As a quick example, 10 years ago when the HVX200 hit the market, the computer market was 95% Windows, 5% Mac. Yet at least (at LEAST) 50% of the HVX200 buyers were Mac users. I traveled worldwide doing HVX200 BootCamps, training people on how to use their HVX200s, and of the thousands of people we trained at those and at other seminars, the market share was approximately 90% Mac, 10% Windows. When we got to the editing section, pretty much nobody would raise their hands for the Windows sessions, they (practically) all wanted the Mac sessions. This despite Windows holding a 95% installed base market edge over the Mac.

Apple's products are, in my experience, grossly overrepresented among professionals in the video industry as versus their products in the marketplace as a whole. As such, regarding this particular app, overall market statistics are meaningless; the only stats that matter for this app are the market composition of DVX200/UX180/UX90 buyers. Accordingly, I thought it would be illustrative to poll the actual DVX200 users and prospective UX180/UX90 users to see what they use and how the market actually sits. We only have 10 responses so far, so it's far too early to know. I'd like to get at least a few hundred responses if possible so we have a greater sampling pool to draw the picture from.

Jim Martin
09-13-2016, 11:21 AM
Android.....and Barry, you've used a great example of time. At that time, Final cut was the bomb, now it seams Premier is making the most noise so it could go back and forth over the next few years what will be the most popular......so I'd say you must have both.
Thanks for taking the time to do this!

Jim Martin
EVSonline.com

Cryogenic Filmworks
09-13-2016, 02:05 PM
Android.

7DDude
09-13-2016, 02:28 PM
Definitely Android! Phone and tablet!

Also Barry, I'm starting to see more and more articles from Production houses and Trade show interviews about Apple falling behind the times, many are shifting to Premiere on the Win-tel platform. Not to say that Apple could not change that, but the momentum has started for Win-tel from what I'm reading.

Excalibur
09-13-2016, 02:47 PM
@Barry:
As you sayd, it is 10 Years ago. Things has been changed. FCP is no longer the only solution. Adobe with Premiere is more and more popular. So today the Windows and Android users are much more than 10 Years ago! And from my feeling a worldwide acting company like Panasonic should offer a remote for all platforms!
I'm a DVX200 user and work in the Windows and Android world.
Do not have any Apple gear.

Barry_Green
09-13-2016, 02:58 PM
I'm not arguing whether Wintel has arisen or not. I'm just looking to get a snapshot of what actual DVX200/UX180/UX90/HC-X1 buyers are using, right now.

By the way, just writing a post saying "android" or "apple" doesn't help; you gotta go vote in the poll... :thumbsup:

Jim Martin
09-13-2016, 03:44 PM
Am I missing something....what poll and where?

markfpv
09-13-2016, 05:59 PM
poll is at the very top of this thread...

ade c
09-14-2016, 02:06 AM
i would vote on this but i would love to have the app on my iphone 5s and there isnt an option to vote for iphone

JRJphoto
09-14-2016, 06:37 AM
i would vote on this but i would love to have the app on my iphone 5s and there isnt an option to vote for iphone

I agree: if the poll is asking which would I use (if a version existed I could, barring there is no Android version so we know the poll is hypothetical) then there should be an iPhone version listed, as well.

Make it iPhone 7 Plus compatible, please. I preordered mine already! :happy:

Jim Martin
09-14-2016, 08:22 AM
poll is at the very top of this thread...
Can't see the Forest for the trees.....

jpvid
09-14-2016, 04:51 PM
I agree with the majority, Android all the way. However, Barry, I have another big suggestion that I hope you might be able to pass along. It would be fantastic if this apps firmware could be updated to be like the PANASONIC Image App for the GH4. Or perhaps the DVX200 camera could just be added to the Image App. With that app it actually shows you the cameras output, even while recording. It basically turns your tablet into a wireless monitor. I love this app when using the GH4. There have been so many shoots that I have been on where I am able to walk around the set and tweak the lighting while hold the tablet in my hand and instantly see the changes. Before the Image App I would have to tweak a light and walk over the monitor and see if what I did worked and so on and so on..... for each light. So much easier with a wireless monitor (tablet) in your hand. Let me know if you think this might be possible.

7DDude
09-14-2016, 05:34 PM
I agree with the majority, Android all the way. However, Barry, I have another big suggestion that I hope you might be able to pass along. It would be fantastic if this apps firmware could be updated to be like the PANASONIC Image App for the GH4. Or perhaps the DVX200 camera could just be added to the Image App. With that app it actually shows you the cameras output, even while recording. It basically turns your tablet into a wireless monitor. I love this app when using the GH4. There have been so many shoots that I have been on where I am able to walk around the set and tweak the lighting while hold the tablet in my hand and instantly see the changes. Before the Image App I would have to tweak a light and walk over the monitor and see if what I did worked and so on and so on..... for each light. So much easier with a wireless monitor (tablet) in your hand. Let me know if you think this might be possible.

Man, I second this also!! That would be very cool, and not just in studio!

jpvid
09-14-2016, 06:50 PM
Actually most of my shoots are on location. Here is a pic of the GH4 on my DC Slider using the PANASONIC Image app. Would love to use this exact same setup but with the DVX200.116870

Panatastic
09-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Android here.

Panatastic
09-16-2016, 04:15 PM
Barry, I searched the appstore for this "R.O.P" app you mentioned that's already available for iOS. I don't see it anywhere. Is there another name?

Barry_Green
09-16-2016, 09:15 PM
It's this:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ag-rop/id1061859976?mt=8

GordonL
10-11-2016, 07:56 AM
Android please (followed by windows for surface tablet).