PDA

View Full Version : Resolve or Premiere?

offbeatbryce
07-24-2016, 10:40 PM
I create documentaries and I also film concerts which are on deadlines. I can color correct much faster in Premiere. Is Resolve overkill for something simple as a person being interviewed on camera or a concert? I tried Resolve once and it seemed like there were extra steps involved to color correct one shot. I even am able to correct to a color checker chart by XRite using Premiere and selecting the curves option and white balance selection in post. So I don't really see what the point of Resolve is for a color chart.

deltoidjohn
07-27-2016, 08:02 PM
I'd only bother with Resolve if a) you're dealing with RAW, or b) you're working on a narrative or other stylised project (eg a music video) which requires a specific look and feel other than "realistic", and all the media originates in at least a 10-bit codec.

If you're just trying to get an accurate true-to-life look then Premiere will give you most of the tools you need with the least amount of hassle, provided you've shot the material well. And if you haven't shot the material well (eg lots of backlight, over/under exposure, wonky WB, etc) even Resolve won't be able to help you if you're not shooting 10-bit log footage as the minimum.

demoboy
07-27-2016, 09:33 PM
pretty much what deltoidjohn said. It's about the codecs and bit depth you're working with. Ironically "RAW" (some wrapped) even in Premiere do the job if you're documentary or live events. there's a lot protocol knowledge and lighting ratios to illustration in pre-production and live to know what to expect in post grading. Usually the eye of the DP and Director

arniepix
08-01-2016, 11:00 AM
If you're working in a formal corporate or production company, post house or other work group type of environment, then this is an issue that needs to be discussed in house with all of the stake holders.

If you work mostly on your own, then you need to work with each platform until you decide which one best meets your own needs or suits your own style of working.

If you routinely work with partners who expect or need for you to be compatible with what they work with, then you need to work with that platform.

Bruce Watson
08-01-2016, 12:54 PM
I create documentaries and I also film concerts which are on deadlines. I can color correct much faster in Premiere. Is Resolve overkill for something simple as a person being interviewed on camera or a concert?

Yes. But then, so is PPro. When I finally figured out how to use a gray card and do a manual white balance in place, I haven't had any interview footage that needed any color correction at all. And I normally use two cameras for interviews -- they match just about perfectly after a manual white balance under the final lighting setup.

With concert footage, who knows? Lighting can be anything, and it's beyond your control. Being able to push and pull your footage is more about a resonable CODEC, something that can give you at least 4:2:2 in at least 10 bits. Anything less and it doesn't take much of a tweak to introduce visiable banding and other artifacts. Neither Resolve nor PPro can help much with the less robust CODECs.

The real reason to use Resolve right now is that it's basically free. And it now has sufficient NLE tools that it's not lacking these compared to PPro. So which would you rather do -- monthly rent or free? After you learn the Resolve software you'll be pretty much as efficient with it as you are now with PPro. It's just a matter of climbing the learning curves.

offbeatbryce
08-09-2016, 04:56 PM
Yes. But then, so is PPro. When I finally figured out how to use a gray card and do a manual white balance in place, I haven't had any interview footage that needed any color correction at all. And I normally use two cameras for interviews -- they match just about perfectly after a manual white balance under the final lighting setup.

With concert footage, who knows? Lighting can be anything, and it's beyond your control. Being able to push and pull your footage is more about a resonable CODEC, something that can give you at least 4:2:2 in at least 10 bits. Anything less and it doesn't take much of a tweak to introduce visiable banding and other artifacts. Neither Resolve nor PPro can help much with the less robust CODECs.

The real reason to use Resolve right now is that it's basically free. And it now has sufficient NLE tools that it's not lacking these compared to PPro. So which would you rather do -- monthly rent or free? After you learn the Resolve software you'll be pretty much as efficient with it as you are now with PPro. It's just a matter of climbing the learning curves.

I don't even do monthly rent I do yearly. I also use other adobe apps so paying for the cloud and using premiere benefits me in the long run