PDA

View Full Version : External Recorders

7DDude
07-21-2016, 08:55 AM
I'm hoping this thread can be dedicated to the use and recommendations on external recorders, with the DVX-200. It seems there is a lot of videographers liking the Video Devices PIX-E5-&-7 recorders. Go ahead and chime in on yours and why you like it and how it works with your DVX-200.

I would like to know if you are using a VD PIX-E5, & 7 can you still see the LCD on the DVX-200, while having all the scopes show on the recorder? Would you record out of SDI or HDMI?:Drogar-Thinking(DBG

I'm loving my DVX-200!!

Barry_Green
07-21-2016, 12:11 PM
Yes you can have a clear screen on the DVX, while having all the PIX's scopes on the recorder. What you can't do is send the DVX200's video overlay out to an external recorder while keeping the DVX's screen clear.

SDI is the better connection and I'd use that for recording HD. However, the SDI doesn't export 4K or UHD, so you have to use the HDMI to record (or monitor) those.

I wrote an article exploring the virtues of using external recorders with the DVX200, focusing on the PIX-E5 and the Odyssey 7Q+. Since then, the PIX has added a highly interesting feature of allowing you to record an h.264 file simultaneously with the ProRes file, which is especially interesting with the DVX200 considering that in order to get 10-bit recordings externally, you have to disable internal recording. A natural workflow would be to want to have a low-bandwidth proxy and a high-bandwidth master file; that's now possible with the PIX. I don't know if the Odyssey offers a similar feature or not.

Vardalos
07-21-2016, 01:35 PM
4K-10bit Pro Res HQ plus a H.264 copy with PIX-E Series Recorders

Video Devices PIX-E Series Recorders now make it possible to simultaneously record a 10bit 422 4K Pro Res HQ file to the PIX-E Series Speed Drive and a HD H.264 copy to the PIX-E Series SD Drive. Previously if we wanted to record anything 10bit with our DVX200's we couldn’t record a copy.

Needless to say this is a major step forward for anyone who wants to take advantage of 10bit recording with any Panasonic camera that outputs a 10bit signal from it’s SDI or HDMI port. 10bit has big advantages, it has much more information than 8bit, the following explains this better than I can.

“An 8-bit camera outputs pictures where the RGB values are quantized to one of 256 levels, whereas a 10-bit camera quantizes to one of 1024 levels. Considering that there are three color channels, this means that an 8-bit camera 24 bits per pixel and can represent any of 16,777,216 discrete colors. A ten-bit camera can represent any of 1,073,741,824 colors – that’s over a billion”.

The above is great news for all of us that own a Video Devices PIX-E Series 4K Recorder Monitor or any one that is thinking of buying one; the H.264 copies are excellent back up recordings and can also be used by clients to review your work immediately after the shoot.

PBVideo
08-17-2016, 10:19 AM
I have a Pix 5e recorder and have been testing it with my DVX200. I get a clean 10bit UHD signal out the HDMI to the Pix, but i'm getting random stop/starts after setting up for the record trigger via HDMI from the DVX. I trigger the record on the Pix from the DVX and it start record as it should, but after a period of time, the Pix will stop record and then will start the record again. The Sound Devices folks are stumped and looking at the Pix log file have said that it seems the Pix is reading stop and starts from the DVX for some reason. I've tested many different HDMI cables in this scenario. Any ideas?

JRJphoto
08-18-2016, 07:25 AM
I have a Pix 5e recorder and have been testing it with my DVX200. I get a clean 10bit UHD signal out the HDMI to the Pix, but i'm getting random stop/starts after setting up for the record trigger via HDMI from the DVX. I trigger the record on the Pix from the DVX and it start record as it should, but after a period of time, the Pix will stop record and then will start the record again. The Sound Devices folks are stumped and looking at the Pix log file have said that it seems the Pix is reading stop and starts from the DVX for some reason. I've tested many different HDMI cables in this scenario. Any ideas?

I am not a fan of HDMI, at all. Why not use SDI?

PBVideo
08-18-2016, 07:34 AM
I agree, HDMI is a pain! The problem is you can't get UHD out on the SDI port in the DVX - UHD out is only available through hdmi.

JRJphoto
08-18-2016, 07:52 AM
I agree, HDMI is a pain! The problem is you can't get UHD out on the SDI port in the DVX - UHD out is only available through hdmi.

Oh, that's right! Makes me hate HDMI even more. lol

JRJphoto
08-18-2016, 08:31 AM
Is it just me, or does this look like a possible locking HDMI port?

Ala this, or something similar:

I should look into this.

jpvid
08-20-2016, 08:48 PM
I just purchased the Atomos Ninja Flame, got it on Friday. So far I have only been able to use it with my GH4, but I like it so far. The monitor performs exceptionally well outdoors - NO sunshield needed - 1500nits. I have a shoot coming up where I will be using the DVX200 with it. I'll post my thoughts on how it performs with the DVX200.

7DDude
08-20-2016, 11:18 PM
Great look forward to that.

Vardalos
08-21-2016, 04:53 AM

We have a very important job coming up in September and plan to use our PIX-E5 to record 10bit from our DVX200. So far we haven’t had the stop/start problem mentioned by PBVideo, has anyone else had this problem?

To record 10bit we used Barry Greens suggestion and assigned (Auto Record) to a user button on our DVX200. A possible work around would be to use the stop/start controls on the PIX-E5 does anyone have any experience doing this.

PBVideo
08-21-2016, 10:16 AM
Vardalos, I would be interested to hear your results with the Pix and the dvx200. The trigger works on my setup, but the longer records seem to bring the random start/stops. I'm sending out 10 bit UHD 29.97 and am running the latest 200/pix firmware. Pressing the record button on the Pix doesn't give me the start/stop problem. Have you tested a long take record with your setup using the assigned auto rec from the DVX?

Vardalos
08-21-2016, 11:34 AM
Vardalos, I would be interested to hear your results with the Pix and the dvx200. The trigger works on my setup, but the longer records seem to bring the random start/stops. I'm sending out 10 bit UHD 29.97 and am running the latest 200/pix firmware. Pressing the record button on the Pix doesn't give me the start/stop problem. Have you tested a long take record with your setup using the assigned auto rec from the DVX?

So far we haven’t recorded any long clips using (Auto Record) assigned to a user button, just short test clips and they’ve been OK. Because of the experience you’ve had we may stick to using the PIX-E5 start/stop controls. Were set-up with UHD 23.98p 4:22 10bit and Firmware Ver. 1.65-00-0.00

Vardalos
08-23-2016, 08:36 AM
It’s been indicated in this thread that assigning (Auto Record) to a user button and controlling the recorder with the DVX200, could cause start/stop problems recording 10bit to an external recorder.

I have a question for DVX200 owners that are recording 10bit to external recorders, the question is, will the DVX200 go into a sleep mode if left on for extended periods of time? If it does it would then preclude using the start/stop controls on an External Recorder as the DVX200 could go to sleep in the middle of a take……………not good.

Barry_Green
08-23-2016, 11:14 AM
the question is, will the DVX200 go into a sleep mode if left on for extended periods of time?
Only if you want it to. It has a menu option that lets you enable, or disable, the power-saving mode. It's called "Economy (BATT)" or "Economy (AC)". So for external recorder use you could disable that.

Vardalos
08-23-2016, 01:13 PM
Only if you want it to. It has a menu option that lets you enable, or disable, the power-saving mode. It's called "Economy (BATT)" or "Economy (AC)". So for external recorder use you could disable that.

Thanks Barry, I found the the menu items you mentioned under OTHER FUNCTIONS page 2.

Mitch Gross
08-23-2016, 07:34 PM
I have a client who uses the DVX200 with the Odyssey7Q+ and the camera is rigged in such a way that it is never touched. He powers it up remotely, it's set to always be on once activated, and he controls recording on the Odyssey itself. I think the only time anyone comes near the camera is to clean the lens every now and then.

Panatastic
08-23-2016, 08:42 PM
I have the Flame as well, and use it with my DVX200. Honestly, I didn't know it could be this good. This is the rig I've dreamed of. Awesome.

Vardalos
08-24-2016, 04:17 AM
External Recorders are fast becoming the answer for getting the most out of your camera investment. Our PIX-E5 has elevated both our DVX200 and GH4 cameras into 422, 8 and 10bit winners. Regardless of 8 or 10bit recording it’s very likely we’ll always use our PIX-E5 for 422 Pro Res HQ on the speed drive and HD H264 on the SD Card. I can see this as standard operating procedure for almost everything we do, it will squeeze the most out of the cameras we have and give us the option of 10bit recording.

Robert Bale Eventshd
08-24-2016, 05:40 AM
I have a Question we have a Odyssey7Q+, as if we set the X200 to System or 1080i SDI OUT we see the image, but if we set it to 1080P out , we can't seem to get a SDI OUT signal.??

Mitch Gross
08-24-2016, 08:59 AM
I have a Question we have a Odyssey7Q+, as if we set the X200 to System or 1080i SDI OUT we see the image, but if we set it to 1080P out , we can't seem to get a SDI OUT signal.??

Trying to understand the question. Are you saying you change the setting on the camera feeding to the Odyssey or the setting on the Odyssey?

Robert Bale Eventshd
08-24-2016, 02:24 PM
Changing the camera to 1080p, in the output settings

Mitch Gross
08-24-2016, 06:48 PM
If I understand correctly, you change the output of the camera to 1080p and the Odyssey7Q+ receives it but the output from the Odyssey7Q+ to other monitors no longer shows a picture.

If this is the case, then on the Odyssey go to the OUTPUT menu and change VIDEO PSF OUT to ON. This is because your other monitors do not accept a true progressive signal so you need to change t to a PSF signal.

Robert Bale Eventshd
08-25-2016, 06:47 AM
Hi, sorry there is no picture on the Odyssey.

Mitch Gross
08-25-2016, 09:00 AM
I'm not sure but would need more details. Best thing is to contact our Tech Support at 720-221-3861 or cdsupport@convergent-design.com. I'm sure it's quite straightforward and they can work this out with you.

jpvid
08-25-2016, 07:52 PM
Panatastic I see that you have the Ninja Flame and use it with the DVX200 and are happy with the results. I just got the Flame and installed some free LUTs on it. So far I like the Panasonic Varicam LUT when shooting in V-Log. Just wondering what your setup is when using the the DVX200 and the Flame.

nutmegger
08-26-2016, 07:59 AM
At 43rumors.com there is a new posting stating the new GH5 will have 4K and 10bit 422 internal recording. I'm hoping Panny will have an updated DVX with the same capabilities.

7DDude
08-26-2016, 01:48 PM
At 43rumors.com there is a new posting stating the new GH5 will have 4K and 10bit 422 internal recording. I'm hoping Panny will have an updated DVX with the same capabilities.

I totally Agree!! Come on Barry, put the bug in Panasonic's Ear! Considering the DVX200 costs $4,000 and the new GH5 will most likely cost around $1,800 I don't see how Panny can not upgrade the firmware to 10bit 4:2:2 Internal!!

Barry_Green
08-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Firmware's irrelevant, if the hardware doesn't support it. As I understand it, if there's going to be a 10-bit-recording DVX, it'll have to be a new model, like a DVX200A or DVX250 or something like that.

7DDude
08-28-2016, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the reply Barry, Do you know for a fact that the current DVX-200's hardware is not capable? My reason for making sure is it would mean the difference of buying an external recorder, or not, for me.

Vardalos
08-29-2016, 05:44 AM
7DDude, Before you decide against an External Monitor Recorder remember it isnít only a Recorder, Iíve listed some of the other things a PIX-E5 offers.

Monitoring Tools & Scopes
LUTs
Waveform Monitor
Vectorscope
Histogram
TapZoomô
Peaking
Zebras
False Colors
Frame Markers
Four Way View
Pro Res HQ Recording
Plus H264 Recording

jpvid
08-29-2016, 09:49 AM
7DDude, used the Ninja Flame with the DVX200 on Friday for a shoot at a car dealership. The shoot was strictly b-roll outside in the bright sun. I did not shoot in V-log, the client needed the footage right away. The producer on site was astounded on how well he could see the image off the Ninja Flame in the bright sun (no sunshade needed) and was equally impressed with the recorded footage from the Flame. If you are looking for an external recorder/monitor and do ANYTHING outside, this may be the devise for you.

Barry_Green
08-29-2016, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the reply Barry, Do you know for a fact that the current DVX-200's hardware is not capable? My reason for making sure is it would mean the difference of buying an external recorder, or not, for me.

I do not know the particular hardware details, but if you knew the level of rampaging and screaming and howling and complaining and arguing and begging and demanding and threatening and bargaining I did to convince them of the desirability of internal 4:2:2 10-bit... well, all I can say is that if they withstood all that and still released it as 8-bit 4:2:0, the only conceivable, fathomable reason is that the encoder chip they used must not be capable of more. I am convinced that the hardware is not capable of more and I advise all buyers to understand that if they want or need 10-bit 4:2:0, the only path on this camera is through an external recorder.

7DDude
08-29-2016, 11:22 AM
I do not know the particular hardware details, but if you knew the level of rampaging and screaming and howling and complaining and arguing and begging and demanding and threatening and bargaining I did to convince them of the desirability of internal 4:2:2 10-bit... well, all I can say is that if they withstood all that and still released it as 8-bit 4:2:0, the only conceivable, fathomable reason is that the encoder chip they used must not be capable of more. I am convinced that the hardware is not capable of more and I advise all buyers to understand that if they want or need 10-bit 4:2:0, the only path on this camera is through an external recorder.

Well, That's good info Barry, and thanks for that. I'm looking into getting a external recorder now for my DVX-200, But from what I have heard (Rumors) the GH5 will be having 10bit 4.2.2 internal, I'm also wanting to add a Second Camera, and I loved my GH3(Got Stolen) so I think the new GH5 will work well with the DVX-200 and give me some advantages from a smaller camera point, Very easy to put on an inexpensive stabilizer.

Also, thanks for all the info and advice from everyone here on this thread, This forum is getting very rich in info and a good mixture of shooters!

7DDude
08-29-2016, 12:08 PM
7DDude, Before you decide against an External Monitor Recorder remember it isn’t only a Recorder, I’ve listed some of the other things a PIX-E5 offers.

Monitoring Tools & Scopes
LUTs
Waveform Monitor
Vectorscope
Histogram
TapZoom™
Peaking
Zebras
False Colors
Frame Markers
Four Way View
Pro Res HQ Recording
Plus H264 Recording

I'm doing some research now on Monitor/Recorders, I noticed that the Pix-E5 only has 500-Nit brightness, How does it work for you outside? I did see that the Ninja-Flame has a 1500 Nit brightness.

7DDude
08-29-2016, 12:11 PM
7DDude, used the Ninja Flame with the DVX200 on Friday for a shoot at a car dealership. The shoot was strictly b-roll outside in the bright sun. I did not shoot in V-log, the client needed the footage right away. The producer on site was astounded on how well he could see the image off the Ninja Flame in the bright sun (no sunshade needed) and was equally impressed with the recorded footage from the Flame. If you are looking for an external recorder/monitor and do ANYTHING outside, this may be the devise for you.

Our you able to activate the recording from the DVX-200, how? Have you run into any incompatibilities with SSD drives?

Vardalos
08-29-2016, 01:40 PM
I'm doing some research now on Monitor/Recorders, I noticed that the Pix-E5 only has 500-Nit brightness, How does it work for you outside? I did see that the Ninja-Flame has a 1500 Nit brightness.

Every external recorder will have good and bad points, I like the PIX-E Monitor Recorders for their build quality and that they allow simultaneously recording of 4K 422 10bit Pro Res HQ on the Speed Drive and HD H264 on the SD Card. https://youtu.be/HAKf-ne09ow

7DDude
08-29-2016, 02:02 PM
Can you use the rack-focus feature of the DVX-200 on the Pix-E5

7DDude
08-31-2016, 01:49 PM

Barry, could you clear something up in your manual for me?
On page 78, this is what I read: " The HDMI port is fully capable of outputting every format that the camera can record, at full resolution and full frame rate, and in 4:2:2 color" , Is this 8bit or 10bit?

Then on page 79 it reads:" There are a couple of limitations to the HDMI output that you need to be aware of, both are encountered when the camera is in UHD 59.94P or 50P mode.
First, the camera is incapable of outputting 10-bit 4:2:2 when set to UHD 59.94P or 50P; the HDMI output changes to 8-bit 4:2:0 in that case.It is always 8-bit 4:2:2 in all other recording modes, but specifically in UHD 59.94P and 50P, it can only output 8-bit 4:2:0."

This is a little confusing to me. Any clarity would be appreciated, Love this Guide, use it quite often, Thank you

Barry_Green
08-31-2016, 05:43 PM
Yeah, that was a confusing scenario, and it took some effort to figure out what was going on.

The book went through several drafts as I learned more and more about the camera. Now I can say more clearly what's going on: the output of the HDMI port is always 4:2:2, unless you're set to UHD/60p or 50p. In those cases, it's 8-bit 4:2:0, period. It cannot output 10-bit 4:2:2 in UHD 60p or 50p, it can only output 8-bit 4:2:0 when in UHD 60p/50p. And, of course, that's only when live monitoring; when you go to record internally the HDMI drops to 1080p during the recording.

As for whether the output is 8-bit or 10-bit: if you've set it to 10-bit output, then it's always 10-bit output (except in the aforementioned UHD 50p/59.94p scenario, in which case it's always 8-bit 4:2:0). Other than that one exception, it's always 10-bit 4:2:2.

So -- you can always have 10-bit 4:2:2 output except for when the camera is in UHD 59.94p or 50p. You cannot record when the 10-bit setting is set.

Or, you can always have 8-bit 4:2:2 in all scenarios, except when the camera is set to UHD 59.94p or 50p. When set to 8-bit 4:2:2 in UHD 59.94/50p, the output is 8-bit 4:2:0 during standby, and the output becomes 1080p 8-bit 4:2:2 when you tell the camera to internally record UHD 59.94 or 50p.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if that clarification makes much sense, but -- that's the state of things, so hopefully it makes sense.

7DDude
08-31-2016, 08:30 PM
Yeah, that was a confusing scenario, and it took some effort to figure out what was going on.

The book went through several drafts as I learned more and more about the camera. Now I can say more clearly what's going on: the output of the HDMI port is always 4:2:2, unless you're set to UHD/60p or 50p. In those cases, it's 8-bit 4:2:0, period. It cannot output 10-bit 4:2:2 in UHD 60p or 50p, it can only output 8-bit 4:2:0 when in UHD 60p/50p. And, of course, that's only when live monitoring; when you go to record internally the HDMI drops to 1080p during the recording.

As for whether the output is 8-bit or 10-bit: if you've set it to 10-bit output, then it's always 10-bit output (except in the aforementioned UHD 50p/59.94p scenario, in which case it's always 8-bit 4:2:0). Other than that one exception, it's always 10-bit 4:2:2.

So -- you can always have 10-bit 4:2:2 output except for when the camera is in UHD 59.94p or 50p. You cannot record when the 10-bit setting is set.

Or, you can always have 8-bit 4:2:2 in all scenarios, except when the camera is set to UHD 59.94p or 50p. When set to 8-bit 4:2:2 in UHD 59.94/50p, the output is 8-bit 4:2:0 during standby, and the output becomes 1080p 8-bit 4:2:2 when you tell the camera to internally record UHD 59.94 or 50p.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if that clarification makes much sense, but -- that's the state of things, so hopefully it makes sense.

Thanks, LOL, So, When I'm recording UHD-59.94 Internal, (Which I do a lot) It's 8bit 4.2.2, or 8bit 4.2.0? Whats standby?, I just Checked a UHD-59.94 file I shot and it's 8bit 4.2.0, I think I just answered my own question, LOL!

diegocervo
08-31-2016, 10:18 PM
to make it simple, 50p and 60p in 4K are always 8bit 4:2:0, no matter if you record it internally or externally.

the only thing that you gain recording 60p in 4k externally on a compatible recorder (such as the Odissey 7Q) is a higher bitrate with a intraframe codec.

hope this helps

Mitch Gross
09-01-2016, 12:22 AM
The spec for HDMI2.0 allows DCI 4K or UHD at 10-bit 4:2:2 up to 30p. For 50/60p (or 59.94p) the signal spec drops to 8-bit 4:2:0. This is the limitation of the data transfer bandwidth.

Please note that the Odyssey7Q+ uses an HDMI1.4a input. This is limited to DCI 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 up to 24p or UHD 10-bit 4:2:2 up to 30p. While the Odyssey7Q+ can record DCI 4K/UHD in 10-bit 4:2:2 up to 60p in Apple ProRes, to do so the signal must be sent via SDI.

diegocervo
09-01-2016, 07:20 AM
thanks for the note, Mitch.

7DDude
09-01-2016, 08:03 AM
The spec for HDMI2.0 allows DCI 4K or UHD at 10-bit 4:2:2 up to 30p. For 50/60p (or 59.94p) the signal spec drops to 8-bit 4:2:0. This is the limitation of the data transfer bandwidth.

Please note that the Odyssey7Q+ uses an HDMI1.4a input. This is limited to DCI 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 up to 24p or UHD 10-bit 4:2:2 up to 30p. While the Odyssey7Q+ can record DCI 4K/UHD in 10-bit 4:2:2 up to 60p in Apple ProRes, to do so the signal must be sent via SDI.

Mitch, I believe the DVX200 Only allows any 4K external using the HDMI 2.0 port that is backward compatible to HDMI 1.4

jpvid
09-01-2016, 05:57 PM
7DDude, Yes I was able to use the cameras record button to trigger the Ninja Flame. I believe in the DVX200 setting I set the HDMI TC out to ON and then in the Ninja Flame I set it to trigger to HDMI and TC. As far as SSD drives I am using PNY 480GB CS1311 SSD's and have had no issues. This was not a hard drive on their list but it has a read/write of about 525mbs each way so I figured it should be fine and so far so good. They were on sale a while back for $99 each so I bought three, not sure what they cost now.

7DDude
09-01-2016, 09:04 PM
7DDude, Yes I was able to use the cameras record button to trigger the Ninja Flame. I believe in the DVX200 setting I set the HDMI TC out to ON and then in the Ninja Flame I set it to trigger to HDMI and TC. As far as SSD drives I am using PNY 480GB CS1311 SSD's and have had no issues. This was not a hard drive on their list but it has a read/write of about 525mbs each way so I figured it should be fine and so far so good. They were on sale a while back for $99 each so I bought three, not sure what they cost now.

Hey JPVid, Thanks that's good info! I wish that these recorders could record UHD@60p. I feel like I'm going to get one and in a couple of months, they will be recording UHD@60p, Oh well got to jump in some where. Thanks for the post mate!

Mitch Gross
09-01-2016, 10:30 PM
Mitch, I believe the DVX200 Only allows any 4K external using the HDMI 2.0 port that is backward compatible to HDMI 1.4
The DVX200 HDMI output works great with the Odyssey7Q+ up to UHD 30p in 10-bit 4:2:2.

7DDude
09-02-2016, 10:18 AM
The DVX200 HDMI output works great with the Odyssey7Q+ up to UHD 30p in 10-bit 4:2:2.

Mitch, I was speaking about being able to output 4k/UHD 60P 10 Bit-4.2.2, from the DVX200 (Only thru HDMI 2.0), and that the Odyssey7Q+ Only records 4K/UHD 60P 10Bit-4.2.2 using SDI Input.

jpvid
09-02-2016, 03:42 PM
7DDude if you need 4K @60p 10bit 4:2:2 look at the Atomos Shogun Inferno, it does what you want but it costs $1995.

bpap
09-03-2016, 03:05 AM
Barry wrote in #40:
"It cannot output 10-bit 4:2:2 in UHD 60p or 50p, it can only output 8-bit 4:2:0 when in UHD 60p/50p."

The same you can read in the technical date about the DVX 200:

External Output Video Signal:
8 bit 4:2:2/10 bit 4:2:2 (switchable menu)
*HDMI output of UHD/59.94p/50.00p becomes 8 bit 4:2:0.
Also, when 10 bit 4:2:2 is selected, recording is not possible with the main unit

SDI OUT: BNC ◊1, 0.8 V [p-p], 75 Ω, 3 G/1.5 G HD-SDI, SD-SDI supported
Output format: 1080/59.94p LEVEL-A/50.00p LEVEL-A,
1080/29.97PsF/25.00PsF/24.00PsF/23.98PsF, 1080/59.94i/50.00i, 720/59.94p/50.00p, 480/59.94i, 576/50.00i

HDMI OUT: HDMI ◊ 1
(HDMI type A terminal, not compatible with VIERA Link)
Output format:
2160/59.94p/50.00p/29.97p/25.00p/24.00p/23.98p,
1080/59.94p/50.00p/29.97p/25.00p/24.00p/23.98p/59.94i/50.00i,
720/59.94p/50.00p, 480/59.94p, 576/50.00p

Therefore it is not possible to record a signal which the DVX does not/can't deliver !

7DDude
09-04-2016, 02:19 PM
Barry wrote in #40:
"It cannot output 10-bit 4:2:2 in UHD 60p or 50p, it can only output 8-bit 4:2:0 when in UHD 60p/50p."

The same you can read in the technical date about the DVX 200:

External Output Video Signal:
8 bit 4:2:2/10 bit 4:2:2 (switchable menu)
*HDMI output of UHD/59.94p/50.00p becomes 8 bit 4:2:0.
Also, when 10 bit 4:2:2 is selected, recording is not possible with the main unit

SDI OUT: BNC ◊1, 0.8 V [p-p], 75 Ω, 3 G/1.5 G HD-SDI, SD-SDI supported
Output format: 1080/59.94p LEVEL-A/50.00p LEVEL-A,
1080/29.97PsF/25.00PsF/24.00PsF/23.98PsF, 1080/59.94i/50.00i, 720/59.94p/50.00p, 480/59.94i, 576/50.00i

HDMI OUT: HDMI ◊ 1
(HDMI type A terminal, not compatible with VIERA Link)
Output format:
2160/59.94p/50.00p/29.97p/25.00p/24.00p/23.98p,
1080/59.94p/50.00p/29.97p/25.00p/24.00p/23.98p/59.94i/50.00i,
720/59.94p/50.00p, 480/59.94p, 576/50.00p

Therefore it is not possible to record a signal which the DVX does not/can't deliver !

I just re-read what Barry posted on page 5, I get it now.

PBVideo
10-03-2016, 09:23 PM
Just found out that Video Devices has posted a firmware fix for the Pix e5 recorder that fixes the start/stop record flags over HDMI;

Last update - (v3.03) October 3, 2016
Video Devices PIX-E Series firmware - (v3.03) is an update for all previously released versions. It includes various bug fixes and performance enhancements.
Fixed

PIX-E does not receive 4K over HDMI from Sony a7S, a7R, a7Sii, a7Rii.
PIX-E starts and stops recording prematurely when receiving record triggers from Panasonic AG-DVX200.

Stevee
01-06-2017, 01:52 AM
I've been using the Atomos Shogun with the DVX200 with no problems apart from a start/stop issue when I initially set the timecode to be the trigger. I would get random stop/starts, but setting up (as recommended RTFM!) correctly:
DVX200 /
Output Sel: HDMI
SDI Remote: On
Remote REC Link: On
SDI EDH: On
HDMI UHD Output Limit: 25.00p
HDMI TC Output: On

And enabling Trigger HDMI, and Enable Trigger: on
on the Shogun works perfectly.

I have to say though that the internal codec on the DVX is amazingly good. Whilst I use the 10bit 422 for chromakey - when shooting scenes particularly with a lot of detail (meadows with tall flowers etc, or tree leaves), unless you shoot with Prores HQ or the top DnxHR codec, you seem to get a lot more artifacts. Colour accuracy/separation seems better, but the lower bitrate Dnx codecs can render fine details as small cubes - at first I thought I had a faulty camera!

TonyVideo
01-07-2017, 09:25 AM
I purchased the Atomos as well recently and love it. I have loaded the DVX200 LUT and starting to use others as well. I am getting ready to do some comparisons of scenes both indoors and outdoors with 10 bit vs 8 bit. I expect to use it 80% of the time depending on my testing and situations. The screen is very bright up to 1500 nit as mentioned for outdoors. I was doing a time lapse test and to save battery just turned down the brightness all the way when outside. The red LED on the left is great showing you that it is still recording since the monitor was turned down. I typically will use the DNX Avid codecs as Premier plays nicely with that as well as ProRes. I purchased the Shogun Inferno as there may be a need to use the SDI I/O's in what I do. I am trying to decide where to mount it. I initially bought a swing arm that clips on the front and I can position it anywhere but it seems to be a little flimsy. I have a smaller tripod than my Vinten 3 I may use to set it off to the side a little more. However next I will mount it directly to the handle when I shoot next to see how that goes with a swivel attached so I can angle it up/down/left/right depending on the height of the tripod. I need to set it up as well when I use my wireless receivers.

I am loving the DVX200 at this point. I typically shoot all manual. I am still learning as I go at this point on the camera.

Stevee
01-07-2017, 11:39 AM
It is a great match - to mount the Shogun I just used a double ended tripod bolt, and then fixed a ball head thing on top of the DVX handle. not ideal for run and gun! but for studio stuff it works great.119900

TonyVideo
01-09-2017, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I was leaning toward that as well. I initially was looking to get it off to the side and adjustable. I felt it was putting too much pressure on the shoe mount.

Stevee
01-12-2017, 12:36 PM
Did a quick test between the codecs on the Shogun vs the internal. Seemed to me that you need to shoot HQ to really beat the internal - and things like DNxHR LB are absolutely to be avoided even though they work out at a similar bit rate to the internal codec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuFFHfRWuBQ

No grading was done other than applying the Varicam DVX LUT, lowering the blacks, and increasing saturation to match the actual colour of the coat.

This was all at 8 bit 422 rather than 10bit as I was simultaneously recording.

My impression was you get better colour definition, and more separation with the Shogun, but detail wise the internal copes incredibly well for 100mb/s.

JRJphoto
01-13-2017, 12:23 PM
Thanks for taking the time to make your test video, Stevee!

Stevee
01-13-2017, 12:50 PM
Thank you Jason - not sure I learned a lot apart from a) how good the internal is, and b) never ever to use DNxHR LB!

davedv
01-13-2017, 03:33 PM
DNxHR LB is similar to ProRes Proxy as a very low bitrate option within the same codec family (LB is short for Low Bandwidth). It's not really intended as a capture codec for final-deliverable quality. For example, one workflow using the codec is to capture in something like DNxHR HQ, but then create DNxHR LB versions of all the clips for editing. This allows for editing in the same resolution as the final deliverable, but requires much lower storage requirements during the edit process (so more footage can be kept on a high performance local drive, for example). Then for the final deliverable, you would export using the DNxHR HQ clips.

But since DNxHR LB is intended as an edit-friendly codec, it uses intra-frame compression. And this is a good example of just how much less efficient intra-frame compression is compared to the inter-frame compression typically used in H.264. The data rate for DNxHR LB at 2160p25 is 143 Mb/s which is actually a bit more than the 100 Mb/s internal codec. But the more efficient inter-frame compression of the internal codec means that it ends up looking better overall.

For comparison, the data rate for DNxHR SQ at 2160p25 is 459 Mb/s. Still intra-frame compression, but now more than 4x the bitrate of the internal codec. Which seems to be about the minimum to get decent quality. And if you consider the 1080p internal recording modes on the DVX200, the intra-frame (ALL-I) mode clocks in at 200 Mb/s which again is 4x the bitrate of the 50 Mb/s inter-frame codec (the lowest bitrate the camera offers for 1080p MP4 recording).

Stevee
01-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Thanks for that explanation Dave - I did wonder how similar bit rates produced such different results.

David_
01-30-2017, 07:27 AM
Hello everyone,

Tell me if the following makes sense:

For my DVX200 I think I will get the PIX-E5 instead of the PIX-E5h. Why? Because much of the time I shoot 720p or 1080p footage and when recording such I can rely on the robust SDI connection rather than the weak HDMI connection.

For the occasions that I need UHD or FDH footage, I can switch to the HDMI connection. This way I use the HDMI less and don't risk wearing it out.

Is there anything mistaken about this approach?

Thanks.

Barry_Green
01-30-2017, 07:36 AM
Nothing wrong about that approach at all.