PDA

View Full Version : Clip Number Confusion

kre57
07-20-2016, 02:31 PM
When shooting with our 5D MkIII, I will often keep track of clip numbers I like to make finding them easier when editing. After ingesting the footage from the DVX200 I am finding that the clip numbers do not match. For example, today I was shooting an interview for a product overview video and did several takes on the same subject matter. I made a note that I liked a particular take that showed 0080 displayed on the camera's monitor. After importing, the actual clip name turned out to be 02000075. I cant seem to find anything on the subject in Barry's e-book. Anyone have an idea of what I am missing?

Larry Chapman
07-21-2016, 05:18 AM
When shooting with our 5D MkIII, I will often keep track of clip numbers I like to make finding them easier when editing. After ingesting the footage from the DVX200 I am finding that the clip numbers do not match. For example, today I was shooting an interview for a product overview video and did several takes on the same subject matter. I made a note that I liked a particular take that showed 0080 displayed on the camera's monitor. After importing, the actual clip name turned out to be 02000075. I cant seem to find anything on the subject in Barry's e-book. Anyone have an idea of what I am missing?

I'm struggling with this also, for a similar reason. I take notes on each take during a shoot referenced by clip number. I can't find a way to display "clip number" on the LCD without going into Thumbnail view. When in Thumbnail view the number overlaid on the thumbnail does match the clip sequence number that is part of the actual file name (at least they do the way my camera is setup). When recording I can see a real time display of the length of the current clip, but *not* its clip number. How are you getting a "clip number" to display at all outside of Thumbnail view?

kre57
07-21-2016, 08:10 AM
When recording I can see a real time display of the length of the current clip, but *not* its clip number. How are you getting a "clip number" to display at all outside of Thumbnail view?

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was talking about during playback (thumbs). It would be nice if you didn't have to go into playback mode to see the clip number though. I guess it doesn't really matter unless it was related to the file name after ingest.

Larry Chapman
07-21-2016, 10:28 AM
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was talking about during playback (thumbs). It would be nice if you didn't have to go into playback mode to see the clip number though. I guess it doesn't really matter unless it was related to the file name after ingest.

In thumbnail view, the numbers overlaid on the thumbnails *do* match the file names. At least the way my camera is currently setup.

kre57
07-21-2016, 11:29 AM
Well, I just did a quick test to verify the issue and this time the file names did match up. The only difference is that during last shoot had a lot more clips recorded over a couple of days before I pulled the footage off of the card. I logged several different shots last time and none of them matched up after import. This is not the first time I have experienced this so I am not sure what to think. I will attribute it to user error for now and wear the dunce cap. Thanks for the input Larry.

Larry Chapman
07-27-2016, 02:42 PM
Well, I just did a quick test to verify the issue and this time the file names did match up. The only difference is that during last shoot had a lot more clips recorded over a couple of days before I pulled the footage off of the card. I logged several different shots last time and none of them matched up after import. This is not the first time I have experienced this so I am not sure what to think. I will attribute it to user error for now and wear the dunce cap. Thanks for the input Larry.

I know what happens. The overlaid numbers in thumbnail view are consecutive. However, if you shoot on different days or with changed formats the camera creates a new directory and the sequence numbers in that directory start back at "1".

Boo.

kre57
07-27-2016, 03:42 PM
That sounds like the right answer. Thanks!

Larry Chapman
07-27-2016, 04:42 PM
I'm surprised nobody else has brought this up. How do folks do notes on clips as you shoot without confusion because there doesn't seem to be a way to know the clip file name?

MichaelA
08-27-2016, 11:37 AM
Old school slate clapboard & dry erase markers.... Really. Then rename my clips to match the slate once downloaded. Never can remember the secret clip numbering code the camera uses - saw it explained once and it made sense, but in the heat of battle I can't keep track of what starts looking like a bunch of VIN numbers!

kre57
01-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Hopefully there's a way to change the file naming structure that Panasonic came up with for the DVX200. I had to shoot a 3 day conference this week and used relay recording to record continuously from one 64gb card to another. After ingesting the footage into PP I see that the file names from one card to the other are completely different even though one clip follows the other chronologically. I had a minor freak out because I couldn't immediately find the second part of one of the speakers clips because card one filled up in the middle of his presentation. Does anyone happen to have any tips to overcome this issue (without purchasing an external recorder)?

Barry_Green
01-20-2017, 02:47 PM
The timecode should be an easy way to match up clips.

Secondly, if possible, use freshly-formatted big cards. The DVX200 can record 48 gigabytes continuously before splitting files, so if you're using a freshly-formatted 128gb card that would give you about 2 hours of UHD or 4 hours of HD recording with, at most, three clips, all of which should be sequentially named.

Janusz_Bla
01-23-2017, 01:21 PM
I'm using Adobe Bridge to batch renaming the clips according to time of clip modification, it's easy to create a uniqie name to each clip. My new name of each clip contains a specific name (for example DVX200_), day (for example 12_) and HHMMSS ( for example 122113) The result is: DVX200_12_122113. Finally I use simple program named ReNamer to add dots between HHMMSS - The final result is: DVX200_12_12.21.13 - all info you need for recognize your clip. This is very helpful for multicam work if you good synchronize the time in all cams.