PDA

View Full Version : Is the .MOV file created by the DVX200 a MPEG-4 file?

David_
06-29-2016, 10:20 AM
Barry says in his book that all files created by the DVX200 are MPEG-4 files. Is the .MOV file created by the DVX200 a MPEG-4 file? Is an AVCHD file created by the DVX200 also an MPEG-4 file?

I have been using an HVX200 camera which created files on the P2 cards that my old laptop, a T61p Thinkpad running Lightworks, was able to edit OK. I believe these files must be intra-frame codecs and hence were easier for a NLE to handle.

The dual codec 8Mbs file that the DVX200 creates is must be a long gop file and thus even at 8Mbs is not easily handled by my old laptop.

I think there is both an .MOV and an .MP4 version of the 8Mbs dual codec files that the DVX200 creates. Are these both long gop files?

I edit on Lightworks and need to get a new laptop that will handle at least the 8Mbs files. Is there any laptop configuration that will handle even the
200 Mbs files created by the DVX200?

Finally, for editing, do I want to get a workstation laptop or a gamer laptop? I understand there is a difference? What is the difference?

Thanks.

cookinghusband
06-29-2016, 06:31 PM
If you need to work with 4K files, they are 100Mbs to 200Mbs, even my Mac book pro 2011 with 4core i7 CPU cannot handle smoothly.
You can transcode the files to a more edit friendly format like cineform but you will spend extra time but older CPU may handle

However I will say i7 is a must. I will say anything similar to the spec of the Mac Book Pro Retina 15" will be fine with any file from DVX200 without transcoding.

I am using a full option new MacPro now

Barry_Green
06-30-2016, 09:01 AM
Is the .MOV file created by the DVX200 a MPEG-4 file?
Yes.

Is an AVCHD file created by the DVX200 also an MPEG-4 file?
yes.

I have been using an HVX200 camera which created files on the P2 cards that my old laptop, a T61p Thinkpad running Lightworks, was able to edit OK. I believe these files must be intra-frame codecs and hence were easier for a NLE to handle.
Correct.

The dual codec 8Mbs file that the DVX200 creates is must be a long gop file and thus even at 8Mbs is not easily handled by my old laptop.
Correct. All the files the DVX200 creates are long-GoP, with the sole exception being the 200mbps ALL-I mode.

I think there is both an .MOV and an .MP4 version of the 8Mbs dual codec files that the DVX200 creates. Are these both long gop files?
Yes. The contents would be identical in both cases; it's just the "wrapper" that's different.